Fuel Usage Questions

mjt57 · 330 · 93890

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Just got home from a trip. All up, around 460km. Tank is showing 3/4. However, DTE indicates that I'll get a total of about 800km to the tank.

Ignore the DTE .. it is very conservative but gets more accurate as the tank empties (plenty of discussion on here about that - some goes back to 2008)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
What speed was the trip & how was the traffic etc. :question:
A bit of a mixed bag. majority 100 kay freeway speeds with speeds around 60-80 kays for a bit. Traffic was light for the most part.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
just checked my average speed 53 kph

Is that this tank or since new.

Explains your good economy. Every tank for my driving seems to be 37-38km/h.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I reset my computer some month back.

The average speed for the last 7000 km is 59 km/h and the average consumption is 5,3 L/100

Pretty happy with that as the winter provides down to -19 C in the morning.  :happydance: :happydance:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
If I'm correct the computer is averaging speed even when the vehicle is stopped, say at traffic lights. Or, if you're warming it up.

I would rather see it average MOVING speed. That should give you a better picture of your driving habits, right?

Mine averaged 57 km/h for the recent trip, yet most of the driving was at above 80 km/h (max freeway speed was 110 km/h).

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It's obviously kms/time including traffic lights etc, this is the way I prefer to have average calculated as peak hour stop start is a significant factor in fuel consumption and average speed.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I would rather see it average MOVING speed. That should give you a better picture of your driving habits, right?

Mine averaged 57 km/h for the recent trip, yet most of the driving was at above 80 km/h (max freeway speed was 110 km/h).

Again I also like it the way it is. It is part of a trip computer whose primary purpose is to inform you about fuel consumption. Your car uses fuel when it is stopped too. In fact the more time you spend at traffic lights, the lower your average speed will be and it inversely correlates to your fuel economy up to a point.

That's why I'm keen to hear from more people regarding fuel economy and average speed. The higher the average speed, the lower should be the fuel consumption until average speed hits about 80-90km/hr after which you need more fuel.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Is that this tank or since new.

Explains your good economy. Every tank for my driving seems to be 37-38km/h.

I think i turned it off once since new car has 18,500k up now. i try to leave earlier to work so traffic not as heavy. but going home it gets heavy sometimes around 18k trip each way. but i go down the coast sometimes too. thinking about buying a new Harley softail. had the Harley i have now for eleven years. the one before that i had for thirty years. but will keep the old bike & the i30 just thinking about it might ride around australia.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

just thinking about it might ride around australia.

Head down this way first ... :happydance:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
just thinking about it might ride around australia.

Head down this way first ... :happydance:

i will Dazz, great roads beautiful country & fantastic people there!!
won't be this year as too busy working.

back to economy, hey Constipated, high speed average does not always indicate why you get better economy. but your right if its in Sydney it will indicate your not stuck in traffic. planing ahead, like what lane & not having to use brake hard or excelerate hard drive smooth all help. but if you have all lanes not moving not much you can do, but diesel use a lot less just idleing than petrol use. like for instance. if you get 5.6L/100k average i would expect if you had a small petrol car doing same trip it would be around 8.5L/100k BUT that same small petrol car would not have Low Rev Torque to pull you up hills @ low revs.
in the end its what Floats your boat!
cheers

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
re: 'I'm keen to hear from more people regarding fuel economy and average speed. The higher the average speed, the lower should be the fuel consumption'
In a little over two years my 6 speed u2 1.6crdi hatch has clocked up 71,000 miles. The displays for average speed (43mph) and fuel consumption (64.5mpg) have never been reset. By my calculations the economy is actually 62.4mpg.

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
I konw that the higher the speed the more efficient is incorrect to a degree. Say you are sitting at a steady 90-100kmh...then that would be best. Sitting on 120kmh , well i think that would chew more juice as the engine is working harder to punch the car though the more and more resistance of the air....
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Since following you guys and trickling another 10l into the tank after the first click (54l fill) I'm on track to see around 930km from this current tank. Eco display still hovering around the 5.7l/100km mark.

I could drive from MEL to SYD in one hit, but why would you? At least having to fill up along the way gives you an excuse to get out, stretch, etc.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Did a little test yesterday.

Was out for a 55 km trip on flat roads, 90 % main roads with steady speed at 85-90 km/h, 5 % city.

There was me and my wife in the car, it was light rain, not more than interval wiper could cope, and the temp. was 6 C.

I reset the L/100 after 10 km when out on the main road. Rest of the trip was done with average 4,3l/100.

Later same evening when returning home I reset the L/100 before starting the car. Temp was now 3 C, it had stopped raining, but roads was still wet. At start the L/100 was showing 29,9L/100 but when we came home it was showing 4,6/100.

Pretty happy with those figures.. :happydance: :happydance:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nice work .. those distance are (of course) too short for real accuracy but few if any other cars of the i30's size could get near them  :goodjob:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Yeah, I know. I just wanted to see the figures for the single trip.

My average the last 7000 km is 5,3L/100 wich I'm also happy with.

I only have 25 km to work and I have 3 guys with me in the car for work every day.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
After nearly 39000 km, my average speed is 75 kph and the average fuel consumption 5.5 l/100 km (measured by fuel filled-up and distance traveled).

edit: 6-speed transmission
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 06:08:45 by neoto »

Pip
Might I suggest that those without transmission type in sig. or elsewhere add that so that valid comparisons can be made? Comparing auto to manual is not useful, and 5 or 6 speed ought be identified as well.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
The last fill was one "right to the top". It took 53l, so an extra 10l goes into the filler pipe after it stops on the first click.

The trip meter tells me that I've covered over 800 kays and the fuel gauge is only now starting to go below the ¼ mark. DTE tells me 190kays to go. Looks like I'll go close to getting 1,000 km (620 miles) from this fill if I let it go to near empty.

Eco suggests 5.7l/100km, still. But then it's only done 5,000km (3,000 miles), so far.

Whichever way you look at it, this car is the most economical that I've seen, including beating a workmate's electric Camry which runs at around 6.5l/100 km according to him.

We're experiencing higher oil prices. Average price of petrol in Australia is around the $1.40 a litre mark. Diesel, which I use, is steady at around $1.46 when I last filled early in Feb. Dunno what it is at present.

So, I'm wondering what diesel will do and how it will affect comparative running costs between the mate's battery Camry and the CRDi30...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Great to hear MJT57, I feel certain the economy will improve according to others who have had their cars for some time. Too bad about the diesel price, it's @ 1.539 and don't forget Julia's carbon tax which will only hit diesel vehicles, is yet to come.

What type of driving (city/country) did you do to get those eco figures.
Notice also, that extra 10 litres can get you quite a long way & longer spans between refills. It also provides you with the true picture of your fuel consumption provided you keep filling to that level. Keep us posted on your eco figures.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very interesting mtj  :mrgreen:

We traded a 5 speed Manual CRDi (which averaged 5.4 LPH for the 68,000 kms we had it) on an Electric Camry  :winker: in August 2010. We have now done over 42,000 kms in the Hybrid with an average LPH settling at 6.4 LPH.

I like the Hybrid as much as I liked the CRDi (very much) for different reasons. We wanted something quieter, roomier and with a more cossetted ride  (we are both in our mid fifties)

Diesel has been the same price or (mostly) within 10c per litre of unleaded since we originally got the CRDi in March 2008 (I can't see the relationship changing much) so the CRDi should remain ahead in fuel costs by a small margin (in my opinion)

Your m8 and I both get $130 fixed price servicing for the first 60,000kms which does probably offset that fuel advantage (over the first three years anyway) ...

We still have an i30 (the wife drives an MY11 CW 2.0 Petrol Manual)  :goodjob:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Great to hear MJT57, I feel certain the economy will improve according to others who have had their cars for some time. Too bad about the diesel price, it's @ 1.539 and don't forget Julia's carbon tax which will only hit diesel vehicles, is yet to come.

Just to revisit an older thread, my CRDi is now 11,000km old. I track fuel usage using a smartphone app. People were telling me that as the engine beds in and loosens up fuel economy will improve. However, I'm still not seeing it. According to my data I'm averaging 6.2l/100km. This consists of a mixture of freeway driving at 100-110 km/h and some round town driving where I'm lucky to get over 50 km/h.

I've done my best to drive conservatively, to not rev that bags out of it (keeping revs < 3,000) and so on.

When I had it in for the "intermediate" service I got them to check the system, to ensure that all settings, etc. were correct. According to them, everything was within factory spec.

Maybe my car is just one of those which don't come anywhere near the so-called factory economy figures.

Only once did I see the eco display go below 5.0 l/100km. It hit 4.9 briefly before going up again. On the highway the display will show, on average, around 5.5l/100km. But it varies.

So, when I read people's claims that they're getting sub 5s on a regular basis I have to wonder what the hell they're doing. Or what I'm doing wrong...

Finally, as for the carbon tax and diesel prices, we had a dip from $1.49/l down to $1.36 (and in some areas, below $1.30) but it's now back to $1.45 at the moment. But the CT's only 2½ weeks old so it's hard to tell where it'll end up.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
mjt57, check your tires and change the petrol station. Of course, short drives and city start&stop traffic increase the fuel consumption enormously.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
mjt57, check your tires and change the petrol station. Of course, short drives and city start&stop traffic increase the fuel consumption enormously.
Even on the longer trips, 250 km round trips, usually, the consumption doesn't get anywhere near what I'm seeing reported here.

Tyre pressures are good. Not sure what changing fuel suppliers will do. Diesel is diesel...

And beyond that it gets filled from at least 3 different places.

Pip
Tyre pressures are good.
But set at what? Somewhere in the range 36-40 PSI is reasonable for economy. I pump mine to 40 and get low 4s on a steady highway trip @ 100-110km/h. CC set, A/C on, 2 up. End up high 4s after emptying the tank 60/40 suburbs/highway. I can't remember when I last saw 5+. Always see 1000km+ per tank.

Having said that I do drive for economy, it's not just luck. :wink:

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

I personally have never had sub 5 in  my 2011 CRDi i30. I am happy with my average 5.5l/100 that I get with mostly highway driving. However, i am sitting on 1100kmh which is not economical AND i flog it to get onto the highway AND I certainly am not gentle around town. So i assume i could get an easy 5 flat if I was gentle. I pump my tyres up to 37 or 38psi COLD.
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
.......... I am happy with my average 5.5l/100 that I get with mostly highway driving. However, i am sitting on 1100kmh which is not economical

You must have one hell of a tuning box................... :rofl:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
.......... I am happy with my average 5.5l/100 that I get with mostly highway driving. However, i am sitting on 1100kmh which is not economical

You must have one hell of a tuning box................... :rofl:

:lol: Explains why it's not economical though.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

HHAHAHAHA! What a shoddy typo by me!!! HAHA!n   110kmh is what i meant :P
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal