i30 Owners Club

iPod cable...dud?

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
OK so I purchased a cable off eBay and wouldn't allow me to pick RDM or RPT on the head unit and I couldn't control anything from my iPod.

BUT it works, so not a complete dud.  When I listen to a CD or music on the USB key, as soon as I hit RDM, it automatically jumps to the next song, whereas with the iPod, it goes to the next selection after the current song.

Lucky I didn't go to Huyndai and fork over $$$ for a proper cable.

My brother tested it with his iPhone and had no issues (can use iPhone to make selection) and my iPod works in his car with his cable.

Bizzare.

Anyway, I'm happy it works somewhat.
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Pip
I'm not so sure about that because if you had it would probably work. :confused:

Offline mantaray

• 3rd Gear
With those cables, ipod control is impossible from the ipod itself, everything needs to be done from the head unit. Make sure you connect to the gcar adapter first , then the ipod. Also some models of ipod don't work properly.
I envy the newer models with blue tooth streaming, problem solved. It seems not too many car companies get the whole ipod thing right.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have recently experienced a similar problem synching my new mobile phone with my PC.

The micro B USB cable that came with the phone is very short but works OK.  To be able to connect the phone to the PC more conveniently I bought a 1 metre cable from an eBay seller. It charges the phone OK but the data connection is flaky. Sometime it works - but more often than not doesn't.

In future I will buy branded stuff - even though it is 4 times the price
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Alan

Sometimes the silver housing that the usb's are in, are easily bent and become a loose fit. Try gently squeezing the casing GENTLY  to tighten the connection a little. It may be necessary to do the small plug as well.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
I'm not so sure about that because if you had it would probably work. :confused:
You get what you pay for, even states clearly in the i30 manual, that a non-hyundai supplied cable may not offer all functions of the OEM cable. Surely you can buy a genuine cable off the bay for £20 GBP or so, hardly much. Or if your good friends with your dealer, and your original one is faulty they will swap it , or get ya one cheap enough from an old trade in. :)
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I wonder what's actually different about the Hyundai cable. Usually, it's a specific plug size, but if a normal plug fits, then it should work. After all, the "U" in USB, is supposed to stand for UNIVERSAL.  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I wonder what's actually different about the Hyundai cable. Usually, it's a specific plug size, but if a normal plug fits, then it should work. After all, the "U" in USB, is supposed to stand for UNIVERSAL.  :undecided:

I have an older Iphone that one of my brothers gave me but I havent bothered getting a cable to use it as a music player in the car..

I thought the difference with the Hyundai cable compared to the generic ones was that the Hyundai one uses a dual connection at the car end with USB (AND an audio plug) But I stand to be corrected... :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
The Hyundai iPod cable is a dual cable, as Dazzler has said.  It combines an audio and USB connection.  I have one in my car.  I was going to get a cheap one from eBay, but spent extra to get a guaranteed working one from Hyundai.

The iPod will work with a normal iPod USB cable, but you don't get the same functionality. (Not better or worse, just different)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I'm one of the odd ones out who doesn't have an (ixxx) anything. So I was just curious. :exclaim:

I just use a 16GB USB, it does the trick for me. :neutral:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

there is a control interface for the ipod/apple devices, and other usb devices behind the . I imagine the wiring , either in the cable itself, or in the general interface from hyundai is unique in a way to make you use their supplied cable, would also be in a way no1 else can copy it precisely.
otherwise why dont they just tell you to use your own ipod synchro cable?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That sort of engineering really annoys me.  :evil:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm one of the odd ones out who doesn't have an (ixxx) anything. So I was just curious. :exclaim:

I've got a couple of 16GB Sticks they sure hold a lot of music... (they are all I use too)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

That sort of engineering really annoys me.  :evil:

Apple done the same sort of trick with their ipod Video. Even though it had a video out connetion via the jack plug, your standard 3.5mm jack to RCA (Red Yellow White) would not work, you had to buy an ipod specific one, due to the fact they had "crossed" the wires somewhere within . what a marketing ploy.. and yours truly fell for it. used it a few times the cable, and still lying in the house.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I won't buy i products for that reason.  :fum:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

:whsaid:

Offline Mel

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Sydney

• 2010 I30 CW SLX CRDI Auto
i purchased the genuine cable and when i first got it my iphone didn't have the RDM and RPT functions on the stereo. On the latest update from apple it now does show up. So I would tend to think its more an issue with the ipod not the cable. My iphone is the 3Gs one and is about 20 months old. Perhaps you can update the software on  your ipod and it may fix the problem. Hope this helps.. And i think the only difference with a genuine cable and not is that the Hyundai logo shows on the screen of the ipod when it is plugged in..and yes the Hyundai one is does have a dual plug which offers you to be able to play all your playlists and browse via artists, song and genre etc. I don't know if the other ones allow this function to work. And i got the Hyundai one as they guarantee it for life so i figure if it breaks then they can replace it
  • 2010 CW SLX CRDI auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Mel cheers for that .. Hope your car is going better than new  :happydance:

Offline surfingoz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi
I know this is an old subject, but i just brought my i30 wagon and while i connected my ipod to the car via the white ipod cable, it didn't give me full functionality i.e couldn't play playlists, couldn't search by artist, so i bought the Hyundai cable, which i read it gives more functionality, i brought the legit one. the cable worked but again didn't give me full functionality. so i sent it back to the dealer saying it was faulty, he told me that the cable was for i30s built pre October 2010 and was for cars that didn't have factory bluetooth installed. he told me to just use the white cable. so I'm going around in circles. can anyone help, i could just play the ipod through bluetooth but i don't want to look at the ipod while driving, id rather just control the ipod through the head deck. any thoughts, suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advanced.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi
I know this is an old subject, but i just brought my i30 wagon and while i connected my ipod to the car via the white ipod cable, it didn't give me full functionality i.e couldn't play playlists, couldn't search by artist, so i bought the Hyundai cable, which i read it gives more functionality, i brought the legit one. the cable worked but again didn't give me full functionality. so i sent it back to the dealer saying it was faulty, he told me that the cable was for i30s built pre October 2010 and was for cars that didn't have factory bluetooth installed. he told me to just use the white cable. so I'm going around in circles. can anyone help, i could just play the ipod through bluetooth but i don't want to look at the ipod while driving, id rather just control the ipod through the head deck. any thoughts, suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advanced.

Welcome.. This is interesting, I am not aware of this anomaly with the Hyundai cable and Post October 2010 i30's being highlighted before .. please be patient for replies as many are not on as often as I am  :winker: We don't use an Ipod or Cable (only thumb drives)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Offline surfingoz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks guys, i will give it a go tonight, it might just work, as i dont get the Hyundai logo when i plug it in. i will let u know tomorrow. thanks again.

thumb drives can u sort by artist or only songs?

Offline surfingoz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Well i restarted the ipod, and still no change. all good i guess its bluetooth from my from my phone for now. thanks again.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

hey surfingoz

did you make sure your genuine Hyundai cable was plugged in properly, sometimes it doesnt go in to the car as well as it should do :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal