i30 Owners Club

Fob isn't opening the car, SOLVED

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
About a year ago I reported a problem with the fob not releasing the doors which caused me to have to use the key which then set the alarm off....

Well, the problem is solved.  Last Thursday on my way home for work I called at the same fish resteraunt where this had occured and the same thing happened and once more I had to use the key and again activate the alarm.

The difference is on this occasion a member of the staff came rushing out to assist me, I didn't need assistance as I had started the car and the problem was resolved.   He then proceeded to explain to me that their WIFI was doing this to quite a few cars to the extent that they had been obliged to look into the problem.

So, in my case it is a broadcast free WIFI messing with the FOB's broadcast..............   

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
About a year ago I reported a problem with the fob not releasing the doors which caused me to have to use the key which then set the alarm off....

Well, the problem is solved.  Last Thursday on my way home for work I called at the same fish resteraunt where this had occured and the same thing happened and once more I had to use the key and again activate the alarm.

The difference is on this occasion a member of the staff came rushing out to assist me, I didn't need assistance as I had started the car and the problem was resolved.   He then proceeded to explain to me that their WIFI was doing this to quite a few cars to the extent that they had been obliged to look into the problem.

So, in my case it is a broadcast free WIFI messing with the FOB's broadcast..............

Possible... but also likely that your ignition lock barrel needs a squirt of silicone lubricant... I know that sounds odd but trust me...  :eek:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline stochastic

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver

• talks out loud sometimes
    • My Personal Website
Possible... but also likely that your ignition lock barrel needs a squirt of silicone lubricant... I know that sounds odd but trust me...  :eek:

How would this possibly affect it?
  • Elantra Touring GL

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

How would this possibly affect it?

Within the barrel are a set of tumblers for the locking mechanism, one of them is on a weak-ish spring. The function of that particular tumbler is to activate the central locking once the key is removed. It can stick making the car computer think that the key is still in so the remote locking function does not operate. It happened to me & I got the fix off this site. Mine has been fine since.

Here is a link to that event from January 2011.
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=5823.msg91707#msg91707

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
But Ffoxy I did say *OTHER* vehicles were being thus affected, but  thanks for the tip about the tumblers I will keep an eye out for some spray as recoemmended.

With regards to the wifi blocking key the fob signals I am fairly confident they spraying it with a general purpose machine gun wouldn't solve that....   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No offence intended Ffoxy thanks for making the effort...

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

But Ffoxy I did say *OTHER* vehicles were being thus affected, but  thanks for the tip about the tumblers I will keep an eye out for some spray as recoemmended.

With regards to the wifi blocking key the fob signals I am fairly confident they spraying it with a general purpose machine gun wouldn't solve that....   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No offence intended Ffoxy thanks for making the effort...

No problem, although I will add that I work in a Communications Wi-Fi Hotspot & have no interference issues to my Central Locking, maybe that particular Wi-Fi is faulty? They usually only transmit at around -40dB... Man that is REALLY weak RF to have such an effect.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
OK Ffoxy now your talking well above my pay scale  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal