i30 Owners Club

New Law Punishes Drivers Who Endanger Motorcyclists

Guest · 11 · 3242

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
New Law Punishes Drivers Who Endanger Motorcyclists

Among the 35 new state laws that went into effect in North Carolina on December 1, 2011, is a new statute that establishes penalties for putting motorcycle riders in danger. It’s called The Motorcycle Safety Act, and it is my hope that drivers will become aware of this law and be more alert to the hazards that face motorcyclists.

When a driver forces a motorcycle to change lanes unsafely or run off the road, the driver will be cited with an infraction and fined $200. If the movement causes a crash that causes property damage or personal injury to the biker or a passenger, the fine will be $500.

Motorcycle riders are at a higher risk on the road for a number of reasons. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation offers information for car and truck drivers, including this list of 10 tips to avoid crashes with bikes.

Ten Things All Car & Truck Drivers Should Know About Motorcycles

1. There are a lot more cars and trucks than motorcycles on the road, and some drivers don't "recognize" a motorcycle; they ignore it (usually unintentionally). Look for motorcycles, especially when checking traffic at an intersection.

2. Because of its small size, a motorcycle may look farther away than it is. It may also be difficult to judge a motorcycle’s speed. When checking traffic to turn at an intersection or into (or out of) a driveway, predict a motorcycle is closer than it looks.

3. Because of its small size, a motorcycle can be easily hidden in a car’s blind spots (door/roof pillars) or masked by objects or backgrounds outside a car (bushes, fences, bridges, etc). Take an extra moment to thoroughly check traffic, whether you're changing lanes or turning at intersections.

4. Because of its small size a motorcycle may seem to be moving faster than it really is. Don't assume all motorcyclists are speed demons.

5. Motorcyclists often slow by downshifting or merely rolling off the throttle, thus not activating the brake light. Allow more following distance, say 3 or 4 seconds. At intersections, predict a motorcyclist may slow down without visual warning.

6. Turn signals on a motorcycle usually are not self-canceling, thus some riders, (especially beginners) sometimes forget to turn them off after a turn or lane change. Make sure a motorcycle's signal is for real.

7. Motorcyclists often adjust position within a lane to be seen more easily and to minimize the effects of road debris, passing vehicles, and wind. Understand that motorcyclists adjust lane position for a purpose, not to be reckless or show off or to allow you to share the lane with them.

8. Maneuverability is one of a motorcycle's better characteristics, especially at slower speeds and with good road conditions, but don't expect a motorcyclist to always be able to dodge out of the way.

9. Stopping distance for motorcycles is nearly the same as for cars, but slippery pavement makes stopping quickly difficult. Allow more following distance behind a motorcycle because it can't always stop "on a dime."

10. When a motorcycle is in motion, don't think of it as motorcycle; think of it as a person.

MORE....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Some good points there worth noting...Thanks Russ  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
We already have these new you beaut laws hidden in existing statutes. For example where a motorist does something that causes a bike rider to change lanes suddenly; we call this fail to give way.

Now if we can just stop the motorbike riders endangering themselves by; passing between two moving vehicles, tailgating, weaving in and out of lanes travelling at massively excessive speeds, driving on the verge when traffic stationary etc we might just get some where.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Now if we can just stop the motorbike riders endangering themselves by; passing between two moving vehicles, tailgating, weaving in and out of lanes travelling at massively excessive speeds, driving on the verge when traffic stationary etc we might just get some where.

Oh no  :Shocked: I feel another sh1tfight coming on.. :oops:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I hope not, having been a bike rider in my younger years, one of the things that I remember is that everything seems to happen at 2x the pace as in a car. I have never ridden super bikes with outstanding performance and I never want to,  I'm too old now.

Most bike riders try to make themselves as visible as possible. Bright clothes, or the threat of a smack in the head (Bikie Gangs),  :whistler: seem to work well.

I would have thought that the old "Driving with undue care" charge would have covered this. It has been around for as long as I can remember.

This legislation should not be about being prosecuted and penalized for poor driving, it's about learning to protect the life of an unknown person, who has a family and friends and wants to live a long , healthy life, with the same rights on the road as any other road user.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This legislation should not be about being prosecuted and penalized for poor driving, it's about learning to protect the life of an unknown person, who has a family and friends and wants to live a long , healthy life, with the same rights on the road as any other road user.  :neutral:

Another nicely worded summary there Phil  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I try. :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Of course car drivers never do these things.... :p

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Of course car drivers never do these things.... :p

Yeah. They do. But I think the point is that bike riders have no protection when they do it.
Don't think there's any suggestion it's right regardless of who does it, just questioning the mentality of people who push the limits and then cry foul. And TBH, it's a minority in any case.
They don't do their case any good.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Quite right, Trev, they don't do their case any good.....

I would like to reiterate though, just because the odd motorcyclist (or car driver) is doing these things, that doesn't take away the requirement of car drivers/motorcyclists to adequately check before changing lanes etc.
As happened in "that other thread" this seems to get forgotten (or even condoned) by some just because the motorcyclist has been behaving badly.

So remember, do a head check before changing lanes!.... :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal