i30 Owners Club

i30 or i40?

Doggie 1 · 138 · 40893

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I called in to another dealership yesterday and finally managed to get hold of an i40 brochure (they are an endangered species I think).
I still haven't driven one but hope to do so, possibly this week sometime.
I also picked up the latest copy of EcoCar magazine and they had a (very) small feature on the introduction of the new i30 at the Brussels Car Show.
Personally, I don't like the colour of the car they featured (it looked very seventies to me) but the more I think about it, the more I'm probably leaning towards the i40.
One, because the fuel economy is similar to the i30 anyway and two, because although the girls have grown up and left home (do they ever, really??) which allowed me to downsize to the i30 in the first place, one of them is now producing grandkids (three at last count  :undecided:) and all three are in baby/child seats, so the bit of extra width of the i40 would be useful as we could leave the seats in place for when needed. It's a real pain putting child seats in & out. Especially with my back.
Plus there's the bit of extra room in the back too........
I was quite decided that if I do change to an i40 I'd get the (base) Active model with 1.7 Crdi, 6 speed manual..........but then, what always happens, I started thinking.  :mad:
Perhaps an auto might be nice now. And I do like those "bending, dynamic driving lights," and also the Premium has leather. And nicer (18") wheels, HID headlights, premium sound.....etc, etc. The Premium even has ventilated seats that blow air underneath you while you drive. I've always had to do that myself in the past, now they do it for you.
I don't think I'll be very popular though (what's new?), and the Active would do.  :undecided:
Life wasn't meant to be easy.  :'(

We get two baby seats in the back of my CW with ease. Wouldn't want to sit in the middle, but I wouldn't want to sit in the middle of the falcon with 2 baby seats either.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm surprised how many smallish cars we see at work with three baby seats across the back.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We get two baby seats in the back of my CW with ease. Wouldn't want to sit in the middle, but I wouldn't want to sit in the middle of the falcon with 2 baby seats either.

Trish could fit three baby seats in the back of her Tiida Sedan and when we got the CW we established it was a couple of inches wider in the back so she has no trouble at all carting the three Grandkids 5,4 & 3 in the back... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Trish could fit three baby seats in the back of her Tiida Sedan and when we got the CW we established it was a couple of inches wider in the back so she has no trouble at all carting the three Grandkids 5,4 & 3 in the back... :cool:

Gee, thanks guys. There goes my excuse then!  :rolleyes:
You're supposed to be supportive and say, "You're right, you'd be better off with the new car."  :lol: And, "The grand kids would be much safer in the car with auto wipers and bending dynamic lights..........."
(Good job someone else doesn't read this......)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry M8 ... :whistler:

I won't mention the hatch is 17mm wider hip room in the back than the CW then.. :winker:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I was cruising down the M40 motorway yesterday and a white i40 slowly over-took me. It is the first time I have seen one on the road.

It is a very handsome car and looks much wider and lower than I expected - however I didn't think that the colour white quite suited it.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is interesting as the i45 definitely looks better in white than any other colour (Particularly with the black glass roof)  :mrgreen:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

All the colours on offer are mica except "creamy white." They even have a white mica.
They show a photo in the brochure of one in crystal white but according to the specs they don't offer that colour in the i40 in Australia.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Disappointing range of colours I must say.. I would really only consider the Mica White, Titanium Silver or Blue Spirit .. Would have liked a Burgundy and/or a Gold in the palate as well  :undecided:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Over in the UK ther's a 'Blue Sprint' Colour, very nice in the flesh :)
Blue Spirit
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:04:08 by syecadelic »
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wonder if it is the same colour as Blue Spirit (I had to double check in case I read it wrong)  :-[

http://www.hyundai.com.au/Vehicles/i40/Exterior

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Wonder if it is the same colour as Blue Spirit (I had to double check in case I read it wrong)  :-[

Daz, my apologies, its Blue Spirit, not sprint.. :(

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Daz, my apologies, its Blue Spirit, not sprint.. :(

No worries M8 .. looks like one of the nicer colours  :goodjob:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Really is a lovely colour. Reminds me of a ford mondeo estate titanium version that A relative had. Obviously seeing it in the flesh is easier than in a picture. Between the Blue Spirit and the Titanium Silver (Grey) they would be my favourite colours :)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I took an i40 for a drive today - base model (Active) diesel auto. I liked it.
I also had my i30 valued whilst there. The salesman & valuer couldn't believe the condition, they really were impressed, liked the leather & sunroof and all that.
Then offered me, wait for it....................................
$11,000!
Just as I said, "You've got to be joking," and got up to walk out, they raised it immediately.
By the time I left there they were up to, "If we give you $15,000 + $2,000 off the price of a new i40 (I'm eligible for a fleet discount), will you sign a deal today" scenario.
I didn't. But they are going to call me back. That's a $21,500 change-over.
Very interesting. I don't think there is much more in it to be honest, but you never know  :)
There isn't a diesel manual Active in Western Australia anyway so they said it would have to be ordered ex South Korea and would be several weeks until delivery.
Dave

• Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds like our dealer.. They really try it on... :rolleyes:

Tell us more  :D  What's it like.. Nudge Nudge, Wink wink  :whistler: Pros and cons?

Did it feel quick, how did each feature compare with i30 CRDi (go, stop, turn, ride)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

It was an auto that I drove, but very smooth, nice gear changes and responsive engine despite very few kms on it. Quieter than the i30, felt more refined overall.
I wasn't even able to take it up to 100 km/h - I tried (on Tonkin Hwy, you know it Dazz) but there was too much traffic.
So it was really just a cruise around the suburbs for a few kilometres and any new car is going to feel good in those conditions so I don't feel qualified to comment too much.
I really would have liked to drive a manual but there aren't any to drive so I'll have to use my imagination there.
I have to say though, that for a "base" model, the Active is really nicely appointed.
The interior trims on the doors & dashboard are described in the brochures as painted, as opposed to the brushed alloy effect of the Elite & Premium, but I thought it looked really quite classy, as were the rest of the interior fittings.
It's manual A/C as opposed to climate control in my SLX but really, it makes little difference - just a different way of controlling the temp.
The park brake wouldn't look out of place in a child's pedal car - it is so small, but incorporates the Hill Start Assist Control for those who can't drive  :D
The DRLs are handy, as are the dusk-sensing headlights, but no rain-sensing wipers on the Active.
The whole interior & exterior though look classy and a nice place to be.
I asked about 17" or 18" rims & tyres as opposed to the Active's 16" but the salesman said not to bother as Hyundai charge the earth for them and better off to go after-market.
Other stuff on the top models, such as rear privacy glass, I'd get done after-market too.
Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I asked about 17" or 18" rims & tyres as opposed to the Active's 16" but the salesman said not to bother as Hyundai charge the earth for them and better off to go after-market.

I know over in the UK aftermarket wheels/mags/alloys/rims can void warranty, if the dealer is really fussy! Due to the offset, weight, and any other excuse the dealer can come up  with.

But sounds a very positive experience you've had, and love how they increased their trade in price for you.

Maybe twisting a free service? or reduce service plan, nice tank of fuel and some mats wouldn't be a bad bargaining tool. Any accessories and service stuff doesn't come off the sales profit, so would allow them to use profit margins from other areas, after sales/service or accessories etc, to help sweeten the deal.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Good thinking.
Also interesting, was the fact that they said, "Oh, you put a sunroof in, so you've voided your warranty on anything to do with the structural integrity of the vehicle, panels and paint."
Mm. Not that it's an issue, but interesting how they think.

This link is interesting too.
It's worth scrolling through the photos as it shows Korean-spec new i30's next to the old ones.

http://thekoreancarblog.com/2011/12/gallery-2012-hyundai-i30-korean-spec/

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:43:10 by db08 »
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Interesting link Dave  :goodjob: side by side the current i30 looks old and dated  :disapp:

Re: your previous comment about liking your wheels to look factory ... I'm sure you could find aftermarket alloys that look similar to the i40 Premium ones and it is easy to buy or get some Hyundai centre badges made  :winker:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Good thinking.
Also interesting, was the fact that they said, "Oh, you put a sunroof in, so you've voided your warranty on anything to do with the structural integrity of the vehicle, panels and paint."

Surely not, as dealers can offer it too, but if your paint started flaking around the roof, it would be up the sunroof fitter to cover it, due to his work?

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Growing to like the new i30, initially didn't like it all.

I really like the gloss black grill on them now, and also the layout inside, hand wee cover for the usb/aux/ipod connection sockets.

Not too fond on the blue interior mind you... :/

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Funny you should say that Sye.. I love it (such a nice change from Black and grey)  :happydance:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Interesting link Dave  :goodjob: side by side the current i30 looks old and dated  :disapp:

Re: your previous comment about liking your wheels to look factory ... I'm sure you could find aftermarket alloys that look similar to the i40 Premium ones and it is easy to buy or get some Hyundai centre badges made  :winker:

That's true Dazz, I'm sure it would be possible.
And I agree, the old model does look dated when side by side, doesn't it?
At this stage I'm just looking at all options and I have to say that I really like the look of the new i30 in red. I know the issues with red paint in the Australian sun but I always keep a good coat of polish on it anyway so shouldn't be an issue  :question: :question:
I wonder how I'd go putting in an order now, sorting out the trade-in price etc and then choosing the spec & colour once they are officially announced?
Could be a bit difficult I guess.
I'm just thinking that if there was an i40 sedan available in Australia I'd go for that, but there's not. But in an i30 I should get higher spec for less money (it's the Scottish blood in me  :))
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Good thinking.
Mm. Not that it's an issue, but interesting how they think

that's odd Dave,about us voiding our warranty's by fitting a sunroof.  :wacko: :sweating: my dealer wanted to charge me for my sun roof double the price that it cost me,and i had it done where he was going to send it.  :rofl:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Good thinking.

This link is interesting too.
It's worth scrolling through the photos as it shows Korean-spec new i30's next to the old ones.

http://thekoreancarblog.com/2011/12/gallery-2012-hyundai-i30-korean-spec/
that's odd Dave,about us voiding our warranty's by fitting a sunroof.  :wacko: :sweating: my dealer wanted to charge me for my sun roof double the price that it cost me,and i had it done where he was going to send it.  :rofl:

Exactly. I really think that it's any "out" they can think of, they take  :disapp:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Funny you should say that Sye.. I love it (such a nice change from Black and grey)  :happydance:
Last car i seen with that sort of blue interior was a on friends Audi A3 (2000?) blue plastics etc, looked ok, but im not sure, maybe in the flesh would look okay,.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They would probably give you a bit less trade on a cheaper i30 than on an i40 no harm in asking though  :winker: 

I've got used to the room and ride of a bigger car now  :D I would go the i40  :whistler:

P.S. Trish said Yuk with the blue interior.. :blubber:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
They would probably give you a bit less trade on a cheaper i30 than on an i40 no harm in asking though  :winker: 

I've got used to the room and ride of a bigger car now  :D I would go the i40  :whistler:

but Trish,the early i30 interiors were beige,but the black is nicer.  :razz: the interior colour may differ depending on the paint colour.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

but Trish,the early i30 interiors were beige,but the black is nicer.  :razz: the interior colour may differ depending on the paint colour.  :idea:
Beige must have been a Aus thing, all UK spec were black, looked more 'grown up' ive seen pics of the beige/brown look..

Exterior colour could be a factor, or might be an optional extra on the top spec, same as the new Veloster/IX35, adding a different colour leather

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal