i30 Owners Club

Rattle is driving me crazy!

bradpete · 19 · 12615

Offline bradpete

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Dudley
I have a petrol I30 (60 reg) that is driving me crazy. I purchased from new and am nearing the 8000 mile mark.
From new there was no problem but at around the 2000 mile mark I noticed a rattle that was intermittent but appeared to be coming from the dashboard area. I thought it sounded like it was coming from the CD player area. I reported this to the garage and they said the rattle could have been coming from a loose cable in that area, which they had fixed.
However, the rattle has been getting progressively worse. From becoming intermittent, the rattle started to occur after about 10 minutes driving and would occur when going over the slightest bump or entering a bend, etc. I returned the car to the garage when it was due for an annual service and told them about this . However, I was told to keep an eye on the noise and report back to them when it happened again!! I don't even think they took the car on the road to look at the problem.
3 months further on and the rattle  now occurs all the time and is a complete nightmare. It has come to a point where I don't even want to drive the car again. I feel that the rattle may be coming from the steering rack but is very difficult to pin down.
Can anyone give me any concrete advice on what may be causing this progressive worsening of the rattle? Armed with such information the garage might start to listen to me.
Thanks for your time.
Pete

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Hey BradPete,

interesting post, my mum has a 2008 plated i30 special edition. She's noticed a small rattle at times coming from behind that dash, but towards the windscreen side of things,
lose cable could be possible, but dont honestly know.
Only thing is that the garage would probly have to strip that dash out, which is a bit of a pain in the hole im sure, never done it personally, but ive seen it done.

3months and come back could just be a way to hope it goes away or you forget/get used to it.
Keep being persistent, if they dont seem interested tell them that if you have to you wil go to another garage,
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Always worth checking the glovebox, that is the most common dash rattle on the i30.

When you hear it, open or push aginst the glovebox door and see if that changes it, if so then search for glovebox rattle on here and you will find various fixes, the best one probably being Dazzlers :goodjob:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Always worth checking the glovebox, that is the most common dash rattle on the i30.

When you hear it, open or push aginst the glovebox door and see if that changes it, if so then search for glovebox rattle on here and you will find various fixes, the best one probably being Dazzlers :goodjob:

Reminds me, thres trim below the glovebox, think mine was slightly lose before. could be an issue.
best to get a passenger to ride shotgun with ya, and try and find out where the noise is, so u can concentrate on driving  :goodjob2:

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Pete, I have the exact same problem, I have had steering column replaced (creeking noise when on full lock) but the dash rattles drive me made, its not the glove box as its empty & can drive with it open and still get the noise, which appears to come from behind the CD player yet it would seem close to the windscreen, car has been to dealer & would you believe it, rattle stopped on that day.
Also worth noting its worse at certain temperatures around 4 - 8 C is when its at its worse, hope you get it sorted.
BTW my rattle started at 6000 miles my car is also a 60 reg.
My partner she has same car, her dash rattles started at 7500 miles.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

could be as simple as bit of padding needed behind the dash, were it fixed to the car

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Bradpete

You need to make sure it is not something you have placed in the car. I found that my sunglasses in the compartment in the roof was rattling. If you are sure about this, next step.

If the rattle is constant now, take it to the dealer once more, make sure the foreman takes a trip with you so he can hear the rattle. If you can present the rattle, then you have a case.

If he will not do that, or he will not accept there's a case, even if rattle is presented, send a mail to Hyundai UK, servicedept, and put your dealer as cc. Explain the Hyundai UK that you have complained several times without the dealer taking action.

That should make the dealer take your complaint seriously.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my hatch has a dash rattle and I've tracked it down to the dash top compartment/cubby hole.  :wink: i found that if i open the lid,then close it,it stops.  :disapp: [for a little while]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 21:35:49 by 2i30s »
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi bradpete.. I hate rattles.. :fum:

This is the thread that Brian mentioned

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649.0

However, if you put "rattle" in the search function at the top of the page and hit advanced search then tick search in topic headings only there are something like 14 rattle threads (If I were you I would read them all) You are more likely to fix it yourself .... Good luck  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
My only rattle was very similar & turned out to be the heater duct pipe (plastic) rattling against the under - dash. On a UK car, RHS from inside the car, feel right down to the lower dash where it finishes, behind there is the plastic pipe... You can insert some sponge or bend the pipe away... or get the dealer to look for you of course! Mine has not rattled since...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
i've had a ongoing rattle issue (as dazz mentioned there are other rattle threads so you may find my previous mentions on this). i've had it fixed before but over a year it came back. i noticed if i press between the dash and the door on the drivers side it would stop and initially they fixed the rattle by going behind the dash and doing something (i was never very clear on what was done but i think something was loose and it was put back into place?).

last week they put a layer of foam behind the dash (on drivers side) and this seems to have fixed it again. but now i can hear the left vibrate and i'm not positive what is causing that one but maybe something similar.

i took the hyundai guy for a test drive last week but of course it didn't rattle at all! it only seems to do it at high speed on certain roads. but keep persevering, maybe even record the rattle if they say they don't hear it on test drive.

• SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline pumpo64

• 2nd Gear
Ours had a rattle/vibration that was difficult to place.  It turned out to be the interior mirror - proved by squeezing the glass into its housing whilst driving (not very practical as a cure!).

I've jammed some blu-tac into the edge of the glass as a quick fix.

Offline highandnotdry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Portsmouth
Same as pumpo64 I found the rattle was caused by the rear view mirror although it sounded like it was coming from behind the dashboard

Offline digital_peer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Barossa Valley

• in it for love
My i30 is only 800k's old and i have 2 quite loud plasticy sounding rattles from both ends of the dash. The passanger side rattle turns out to be the glove box. which i have to drive around with it open with gear in it to shut it up and the drivers side sounds behind dash. They both get worse as the airconditioner gets colder. couple this with the engine light being perminently on and only 800 k's on the clock, this cars giving me the s**ts already. 2000k's on the i20 and its been sweet so far.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline ilariu12

• 1st Gear
Check the center mirror. I test drive a i30 today and I had the same rattling in 2nd and third gear. It turned out to be from something loose inside the mirror, which made the windscreen vibrate.

Hope it helps.

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
OMG it looks like my rear view mirror is what is causing my rattle, easy to replicate, when you have rattle hold mirror & noise should stop, or bottom of mirror, tap it using side of your finger to replicate.
I would never have thought it was the rear view mirror, but makes total sense now.

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Rear view mirror replaced & rattle gone.

:goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal