Front Windscreen Wiper De-icer

AlanHo · 21 · 13016

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have been looking in detail at the feature list for the 2012 i30 Style version compared with my 2011 Premium version.

I noticed for the first time that my 2011 car is supposed to be fitted with a Front Windscreen Wiper De-icer. However - it is a feature I have not noticed on the car. Having said that - I'm not sure what to look for.

Can anyone throw some light in my direction?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It has been discussed a bit Alan.. see this thread...

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=2770.msg31366#msg31366
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
I have been looking in detail at the feature list for the 2012 i30 Style version compared with my 2011 Premium version.

I noticed for the first time that my 2011 car is supposed to be fitted with a Front Windscreen Wiper De-icer. However - it is a feature I have not noticed on the car. Having said that - I'm not sure what to look for.

Can anyone throw some light in my direction?

Think mine has the same,  but not sure how it works, i thought it was just the button for the heated windscreen?
Also mine has some form of solar glass? not sure how that works either, but at the bottom of the windscreen there tracks in the glass, possibly the heated elements?
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Ah - so because mine is a late 2010/2011 UK car it does not have the heated screen or wiper de-icer. Yet they seem to have re-introduced it in the 2012 model.

They will probably drop it again when they twig that global warming has reached England and brought milder winters to the bottom half of the country.

Thanks for the info.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Mine has a separate switch. I'm sure they discontinued this feature in mid 2009

AFAIK they've never had a heated windscreen
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

That confirms it - my ESP button is the full depth and no sign of a heater.... :goodjob:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Mine has a separate switch. I'm sure they discontinued this feature in mid 2009

AFAIK they've never had a heated windscreen

Ahh i thought that heated the windscreen, this would explain why it never got warm,
hmm interesting.

newer premiums had this option dropped, personally think my 2008 Premium was the best i30 ever out, maybe just below the 2.0 which came standard with cruise control, :(

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The feature I would have liked to be retained was the little cubby compartment in the top of the dashboard. My car does not have it. It would have made fitting a sat nav a more tidy proposition.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

The feature I would have liked to be retained was the little cubby compartment in the top of the dashboard. My car does not have it. It would have made fitting a sat nav a more tidy proposition.
It can be modded, think theres a thread here somewhere, on possibly via the spanish forum, courtesy of one of our other guests, who seems to have dissapeared. you just pop your OEM fascia off, cut the plastic tabs that hold the blank in, and you have your new hole.
Member: Isellius i think

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not much good to Alan if he buys the new Model though ... :whistler: :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Here is an installation process described in photos
http://www.ceed-i30.ru/index.php?showtopic=363

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

I'm guessing that guy has no intention of putting the original blanking plate back :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

I'm guessing that guy has no intention of putting the original blanking plate back :eek:
No. What for?

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

O dear sweet merciful Lord!!! I do not advise that in the slightest :blubber:.. .:'(

that is just a rash job!

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

O dear sweet merciful Lord!!! I do not advise that in the slightest :blubber:.. .:'(

that is just a rash job!
It is, but it doesn't require a removal of dashboard, scroll down a little bit and you will find other photos with the latter removed.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
2008 Premium  :happydance: Heated wipers, opening cubbyhole, in fact PLENTY of toys....
I should just shut up....  :P
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

that is just a rash job!
It is, but it doesn't require a removal of dashboard, scroll down a little bit and you will find other photos with the latter removed.
I never mentioned removing dash, just the fascia which is done later on, you just need to pull the fascia from the bottom to get it off, without murdering the blank.

2008 Premium  :happydance: Heated wipers, opening cubbyhole, in fact PLENTY of toys....

You forgot lumbar support, lazy way of reclining seat *lifts leaver and reclines* full leather, 1 touch auto windows all round, better suited Ipod connection locations (out of sight out of mind)

il shut up also now :D

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

that is just a rash job!
I never mentioned removing dash, just the fascia which is done later on, you just need to pull the fascia from the bottom to get it off, without murdering the blank.

You forgot lumbar support, lazy way of reclining seat *lifts leaver and reclines* full leather, 1 touch auto windows all round, better suited Ipod connection locations (out of sight out of mind)

il shut up also now :D

I didnt forget them Sye... just didnt want to gloat... *full leather heated fronts... truly an amazingly well specc'd car for the money... AND all the toys are reliable! :-)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I didnt forget them Sye... just didnt want to gloat... *full leather heated fronts... truly an amazingly well specc'd car for the money... AND all the toys are reliable! :-)

I knew you wouldn't :P But if I remember rightly , they only cost around the 17k mark new? Which for the level of equipment was outstanding, I got mine for £10,000 at a 18 months old.. ;)

But I think the i30 when it originally came out spoilt people with too much. alloys a/c fogs, r/c/l 4 electric windows etc, mainstream rivals didnt even put that on standard FORD *COUGH COUGH* renault, vw etc
Possibly why when they revised the line up in 2010 and dropped the alloys, colour coded handles electric rear windows etc, people got a bit upset

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

It was classic everything for very little money back then, the benefits of buying a car when Hy were leveraging the market. Mine was £8,500 on an 08 plate (15 months ago) with a guaranteed 6,500 miles on it with 2 completed Dealer services.
Metallic Storm Grey, rear parking sensors, tinted glass, auto wipers, auto lights, front window auto de-mist (jeez that REALLY does blow!), folding heated external mirrors... too much to go on about really. Here is ine VERY pleased buyer...  :happydance:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

rear parking sensors, tinted glassadded after, auto wipers, auto lights, front window auto de-mist (jeez that REALLY does blow!), folding heated external mirrors... too much to go on about really. Here is ine VERY pleased buyer...  :happydance:

:whsaid:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal