i30 Owners Club

Alloy Wheels. Frustration!!!

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Not Happy.
After weeks ( Ok, maybe days ) of discusion ( Ok, Arguments ) over which 18" alloy wheels to get,the wife and I agreed on a RJR Linear wheel.
The wheels were ordered and yesterday was to be the big day. But no, somehow only three tyers showed up so we had to wait till today to have them fitted.
So i took the car to Bob jane this morning and got a call an hour later to tell me there was a problem. It seems the rear wheel fitted fine but the front rubbed on the brake callipers (doubt thats  spelt right). It seems the the wheel is'nt dished enough to fit the off set on the I30.
This is something to be aware of to anybody looking to get aftermarket alloys because it is apparantly not a common spec.
Trying to pick another wheel now and although my wife and i had little trouble agreeing on the car, picking an alloy is a different storey!

I thought aggreeing on a colour would be the hard part!

Cheers :x

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Do you have TPMS fitted? My manual (page F2) says it could cause malfunction using aftermarket road wheels, especially oversized wheels.

Shame about the front caliper problem.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Bummer.

Keep looking, I'm sure there is something out there that will fit.  8-)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Eyma,

Can only imagine how disappointed you must be (what a pain!) Maybe you and thumper and anyone else interested could negotiate a bulk buy on the 19" sport wheels from the UK?

good luck finding something else...

Cheers,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Eyma,
I feel for you! know how frustrated you must be, very sorry.
do you know how much clearance we are talking about? As it is possible to machine extra clearance or even space the wheel out as well as machine. did you go to look at the wheel being fitted? you just need a large enough lathe to fit the wheel into to machine. you could use your stock mag wheel as a guide.
just trying to help with idea's

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks for the tips Lakes,

I have picked out another wheel now, a nice simple 5 spoke with a polished alloy rim and shadow chrome spokes.

They're a bit plain but should set the car off well.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Eyma, there are some very nice wheels around! i have seen some very nice one's lately, they look like they might be billit with chrome finish, just probably heavy. i would try to choose the lightest that looks they way you want it too, as with 18" the tyre will be light and if you can get a lighter wheel you will also get a gain, both in handling and performance and economy, reason being a lighter wheel and tyre combination takes less to get it to excellerate, also less unsprung weight helps handling.
will be nice to see pic's of your car with the wheels and see how it looks lower.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Just picked up the car with new alloys.

Looks good, they wouldnt of been my first but had to keep wife happy (she thinks its her car :)
Will attempt to post pics tomorow.

Cheers :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Eyma..

I'm going to bed early so I can get up early to see your wheels pix (no pressure or anything  :mrgreen: )

Dazz

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Dazz, No pressure.... Man i dont know how to use a digital camera yet alone how to post the shots onto this site. Fortunatley, my wife is good with that sort of thing and is off work tomorow. we should be able to knock something up. I was hoping to take some nice outdoor shots with a interesting backdrop, ie Parliment house or one of our local lakes, but its been raining for the last couple of days which makes it hard. Not that i am complaining about the rain, we need it.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Finally got the alloys fitted. Overall happy with the result.

Included a pic of the wheel with more pictures of the whole car in 'post your pics'

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Eyma,

They look a lot better than I though they would... I like my wheels to look busy on a smaller car but they look pretty flash!

Good job..

Dazz

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Damnit! *Bangs head against wall*  :twisted:

Oh well, back to the drawing board!  8-)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Eyma,

What tyres did you get and what designation? Look like Dunlop? and... how do they feel and sound... (sorry for all the questions)

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Quote from: "Thumper"
Damnit! *Bangs head against wall*  :twisted:

Oh well, back to the drawing board!  :lol:
What are the odds that we could pick the same wheel twice :?:
Not to worry, ther are plenty of options out there in Wheel land. I still prefered the RJR Linears, but am still happy with the way these look. This wheel is made by King wheels but they had a set of RJR that were pretty much identical.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
No worries Dazz, I am glad you like them.

The tyres are Made by Nankang. They're not a bad tyre for the price. There are cheaper brands out there that are junk. ( I have found out the hard way before)
They are labelled as Ulra sport NS ll. They are 225/40 in 18"
Havent driven them much yet, but driving home yesterday it was raining and they certainly held on fine trough the many round abouts we have in this great city. They also didnt strike me as being particuly noisy. How long they wear can only be answed in time. They seem fine. :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hadn't heard of Nankang before but hadn't heard of Blue Streak before I put some on My Elantra before I traded it (and they were pretty good for the price) They are a Goodyear import that is quite cheap but are warranted by Goodyear.

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
EYMATEAPOT, what is the width of the rims, and what is the offset? Are the bolt holes 5x100, 5x114.3 or 5x120?

Wish to know so I know what to order for mine.

I have my eyes on these (18x8)

Or these (18x7.5)

Should look nice on the lighter silver i30. (Yours look nice on the darker silver)  8-)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Thumper,

I believe the wheels were 5x120. The wheels i got were 18 x 7.5.  
I belive i could have gone with 18  X 8", but was reluctant because i have had the car lowered and was concerned about scraping the guards.

I like both you choices. Prefer the lower of the two although the top one would better suit the car in my opinion.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Thumper,

For what it's worth I reckon the bottom ones would be best if they fit. They look great and are similar to the SR Mags... :mrgreen:

Dazz

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "Thumper"

Thumper.

These look better to me, although if you do go for them then you should paint your brake calipers as they'll be much more visible. Probably in red.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Does anyone know who makes the 18" alloys that Hemmi and I have on our i30 Sports? (see my avatar pic). The centre cap has a logo that says MS - probably  MS Design, who designed the kit for the Sport version.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Think this might be them...

Site is very slow to load.. for me anyway

http://www.motionstyling.co.uk/shop.php ... MS%20RANGE

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Thanks Darryl - your post spurred me on to look a bit further and I've got the definitive answer to my 18" alloys question for the i30 Sport.

They are made for MS-Design (Austria). Here's the link - http://www.ms-design.com/carx1ms1_2.icc ... 21&start=6

In the UK they can be supplied by this firm - http://www.msdesigndirect.com/product.p ... 89da33efbc  for £283.02 each, so with tyres they'd probably set you back about £1,500 in England.

I tell you something though - they are delightfully easy to clean. My cleaning brush fits beautifully between the spokes.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
Quote from: "i30manUK"
I tell you something though - they are delightfully easy to clean. My cleaning brush fits beautifully between the spokes.

same here, I love them  8-)
easy to clean and look great.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal