i30 Owners Club

Alarm cannot be disarmed

r5e · 17 · 9399

Offline r5e

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• 2007 Mazda 6 Diesel (his), 2008 i30 CRDi SX (hers)
I know there are already 2 other threads dealing with alarm and key issues, but neither of them seem to address this problem.

My wife's i30 will not respond to either remote key. We have 2 remote keys, both of which worked properly until today. The little red light on the key goes on and flicks while the lock or unlock keys are pressed, but the car does nothing. Both keys are walked all around the car and pressed again and again, but the car gives no response.

It was locked in the driveway with the remote key and when my wife tried to re-enter the car about an hour later, the remote key would not work, so she then opened the driver's door with the key and when she opened it "beep beep beep!" It has been like this ever since.

If the doors are unlocked manually with the key and opened, the horn goes off (for about 27 seconds as mentioned in the manual). If the key is put in the ignition and the engine is started, the alarm continues to go off. It continues after the engine is stopped and the car is exited. It will keep going for its time regardless of what is done.

I'm at a bit of a loss and it will be going to a dealer, but in the mean time, she's unable to use it practically, without annoying the neighbours and looking like a car thief wherever she goes.

Anyone got any ideas?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You're not keeping both keyfobs near to each other are you? I believe when they're in close proximity they will be ignored by the receiving transponder, or something like that.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline r5e

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Hi Shambles - no the keyfobs were on their own during transmission.

However, there has been a breakthrough: I waited some time and tried again. This time I walked around the car twice constantly pressing the unlock button every 2 seconds or so. About 1 & 3/4 away around, the car suddenly unlocked. I immediately went and jumped in the driver's side (I was on the passengers side when it eventually unlocked) and started the car. I moved it out of the driveway and onto the street. No alarm this time, as the remote had de-activated it.

Once on the street, the remote was still difficult to work and I still had to try maybe 10 times from various angles before it would open, but it was slightly better. My wife then took it about 2 or 3 kms away and it worked fine there, but when she got home again, it was still a few attempts before it would lock.

There seems to be some localised temporary interference with the radio signal. I have also experienced this intermittently with a couple of other cars I have owned, so it is not entirely strange or unexpected.

The difference here is that the key with it's transponder placed next to the pickup in the steering column's barrel does not de-activate the alarm as it is supposed to. I can put the fault with the remote keyfobs not working down to strange radio interference, but the inability to deactivate the alarm using the key manually is still a fault that Hyundai service need to investigate and correct.

I guess its first 1,000km service on Tuesday may now take a little longer...

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• White i30 SLX CRDi, 5sp man. Brisbane, QLD
Yes it definitely sounds like an interference problem from a strong transmission source nearby somewhere.  I had the same kind of problem with my previous car when I parked it at the Telstra Tower at Black Mountain in Canberra a number of years ago.  I literally had to walk right up to the car and press the button and do lots of arm waving to get the alarm to turn off.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Wow. I reckon you guys should have your brains tested for radiation interference  :shock:

Offline r5e

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I reckon it might be my neighbour's giant plasma, but I'll have to do some testing. It could also be a hard thing to duplicate properly as there are so many other factors that could be at play, for instance, yesterday when it happened, it had been a 37° day, but then it dropped down to about 25° with a strong Southerly wind in the evening. There might have also been other cars parked on the street making different radio reflection patterns. The temperature, wind and radio reflections combined with a source of interference could have all been working together to create the circumstance where the car's pickup would not get the remote key's signal properly. This is why it is important that the key can manually disable the alarm once activated, which in this case, it would not.

I know in other threads may people were testing if they alarm could be made to sound once activated, but who has tested to see if the alarm can be de-activated with the key?

I'd be curious to know the results of other people's tests as follows: 1 - Arm the alarm from the outside with the remote button to lock the doors; 2 - Use the key to unlock and open the driver's door (alarm should now sound?); 3 - Start the car with the key and stop it again and remove the key (alarm should now de-activate?). When I did this, the alarm would not de-activate at all unless with the remote.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Using a key (either of the remote fobs, or the previously-useless single spare) deactivates the alarm. The dealership sorted this out when I picked up my spare remote.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Quote from: "r5e"
I'd be curious to know the results of other people's tests as follows: 1 - Arm the alarm from the outside with the remote button to lock the doors; 2 - Use the key to unlock and open the driver's door (alarm should now sound?); 3 - Start the car with the key and stop it again and remove the key (alarm should now de-activate?). When I did this, the alarm would not de-activate at all unless with the remote.

At 2 mine does not sound as when you open the door with the key this deactivates the alarm.
This was programmed prior to getting my car.

I'm told the alarm is active but the only way to test would be to smash the window as I have deadlocks so I can't open the door from the inside.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Diva

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Sydney Australia - Deevzmobile White 2.0L SR
I notice when im getting in my car at home i have to *sometimes* push the unlock button a few times b4 it actually opens. If im too close it doesn't open... it could be the new house next door and there massive new power poll (if that could do it, that is)

It's not too much of an issue as yet. But will keep a close look at it

Offline r5e

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Just an update - when it came back after it's 1,000km service the key was able to open the door without the alarm being triggered after it was locked with the remote, so they did change something, but they had no information available as to what. However, when sitting inside the car after locking the doors with the remote and getting irritated at my inability to unlock the doors from the inside (which I think is a serious safety concern that Hyundai could end up finding themselves liable for one day), I popped open the bonnet to see if any alarm sounded. It did not. This has me concerned that the dealer has simply disabled the alarm. I will have to try climbing in the boot and opening the emergency release for that after locking and see if the alarm will go off then.

Also, I've noticed that it is possible to lock the doors while they are still open. I have never met a car alarm system before that would allow itself to arm with the doors open, which is another reason I suspect that the dealer simply disabled it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hopeless  :roll:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Sounds like the thread title should be changed to "Alarm cannot be ARMED".  :o

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Quote from: "Shambles"
Sounds like the thread title should be changed to "Alarm cannot be ARMED". ;)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline SergeyZdravkov

• 2nd Gear

• bg Bulgaria
      Vidin
Quote from: "r5e"
for instance, yesterday when it happened, it had been a 37° day,

Hi, r5e, I've experienced same problem a couple of times this summer when I parked the car on direct sun light for more than 1/2 an hour. It was very hot - about 35-38°C. When I got back and try to open the alarm didn't want to disable. I walked around the car for minute or 2 pressing the remote and just had started to nervous but at one moment alarm beeped and unlocked the doors. Since then I'm looking to stop and park at some shadow place. (hope you'll understand this :mrgreen: )

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
There's a nice public information sign on the top of Mt Wellington outside Hobart. The visitors' car park is very close to a large transmission tower.

It says (and I can't remember exactly as it was a few years ago):

"If you cannot unlock your car try walking around it pressing the remote or hold the remote under the front wheel arch.

If all else fails use your key to unlock the car."

Guess that may not work these days.  :)
  • i30 cw SX CRDI manual, Surly LHT

Offline r5e

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Just a quick update to this:

I went and sat in the car, armed the alarm, waited 1 minute and then released the rear hatch emergency open lever from the inside with the back seat folded down. The alarm did sound. I then tried re-arming the alarm and popping the bonnet after 1 minute. This also sounded the alarm.

I think the trick when testing it is to wait at least one full minute after arming before trying to set it off. If you try to set it off too soon after arming, it will not sound.

I'm glad that at least it works properly now, but I am still a little baffled that it did not do this by default from the factory and I am also annoyed about the internal dead-latching. However, I should stop complaining now as it does work.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Yep youre right, I also noticed that it was possible to lock the car and arm the system with one door still open.  The tip here then is not to leave your car until after a minute because until then the alarm is not fully armed and (in the UK at least) your insurance is void :shock:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal