i30 Owners Club

First Car

Doggie 1 · 82 · 21573

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Dazz's past car thread prompted me to think of my first car.
I hope this hasn't been done before but if it has I know I'll be in really good company in HOS.  :lol:
My first car I bought when I was sixteen, so I couldn't even drive it.
It was a 1968 Falcon XT ute which had had a bit of a working life before I got it in 1974.
I remember going down to Viv Charnock Holden in Pinjarra (Western Australia) one evening and buying it for the princely sum of $700.  They were asking $750 as I recall.
It was a six cylinder, three-on-the-tree gearbox (column shift) and I later had it resprayed in a Datsun dark green.
I got my licence in that ute and did a few miles in the old girl before selling it and buying a VH Valiant Regal 770 318 auto sedan, gold in colour while I was still on "P" plates.
Ah, those were the days.................
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My first car was a Mark two (1968) 440 Cortina 1600 4 speed manual. It was a dark red (Burgundy) metallic with a couple of gold pin stripes along the flanks ..

It had done around 100,000 miles when i got it in late 1974 so was in fairly average condition. It cost me A$850 from memory...M & D said I couldn't have a car until I could save up and buy it cash (they didn't believe in car loans...)

I remember taking a tall smoking (non-smoking..) brunette out in it, her name was Brigitte Pasacheck or something like that and when the thermostat got rusty and jammed making the car overheat she wasn't impressed (it was our first and last date) :disapp: 

So I swapped it for a 6 cylinder LC Torana with flared guards and wide steel wheels with chrome trims.. it was all show and no go.. I even got pump up shockies put in the back  :rofl:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

My first car was a Mark two (1968) 440 Cortina 1600 4 speed manual. It was a dark red (Burgundy) metallic with a couple of gold pin stripes along the flanks ..

It had done around 100,000 miles when i got it in late 1974 so was in fairly average condition. It cost me A$850 from memory...M & D said I couldn't have a car until I could save up and buy it cash (they didn't believe in car loans...)

I remember taking a tall smoking (non-smoking..) brunette out in it, her name was Brigitte Pasacheck or something like that and when the thermostat got rusty and jammed making the car overheat she wasn't impressed (it was our first and last date) :disapp: 

So I swapped it for a 6 cylinder LC Torana with flared guards and wide steel wheels with chrome trims.. it was all show and no go.. I even got pump up shockies put in the back  :rofl:

Jammed thermostats - I'm no expert but I think that a bit of penetrating oil usually got things going (from memory) :whistler:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You certainly went tp a lot of trouble to arrange a novel breakdown, most of us just run out of juice.  :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Jammed thermostats - I'm no expert but I think that a bit of penetrating oil usually got things going (from memory) :whistler:

I tried that, but after the car broke down she wasn't very receptive ... The car got hot and steamy but we didn't  :disapp:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
My first car was a 1979 Toyota Corolla 1.2 DL, like this one

It was originally in an Aqua Blue colour, bought by my dad from a local garage.  Like many early Japanese cars though, she was fairly thin in metal and prone to a bit of rust.  It got to the point where dad got a better discount not trading it in on his next car (Volvo 343) and so I received it as a 17th birthday present.

First job was to cover up the rusty bits, no self respecting (but skint) 17 year old can attract the ladies driving a pile of rust.  Many tubs of Isopon P38 and P40 (fibreglass and smooth filler) later and a day spent with an electric spraygun and a few tins of blue Smoothrite paint later and she was looking pretty good!

Biggest incident for me with this one was when I was 20 miles from home in Banchory, having spent a day in Aberdeen.  Got into the car, started her up, pushed the clutch pedal to engage first, there was a ping and the pedal fell to the floor!  The clutch cable in this one was held in place to the bulkhead by a circlip arrangement and the clip had gone awol, leaving a floppy cable and no tension in the clutch.  Not to be outdone, switched the car off, engaged first then got her started in gear via the kangaroo method and we were off, trickling through the city in second, timing the traffic lights so I never had to stop.  Into the country and time to learn what I had been watching and listening to rally drivers doing for years, two feet, one on the accelerator and one on the brake, these boys don't use the clutch, neither will I,  slip it out of one gear, blip the throttle holding the lever at the entrance to the next gate with a touch of pressure and in she slips when the revs match, beautiful!!

A harsh winter later and the Smoothrite paint became Hammerite, lost most of its shine also and no amount of wax would bring it back.  The only thing which did give it a lustre was household furniture polish!!  I moved on to my Metro and sold this one for £75 :lol: :lol:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looked a lot tidier than my first car Brian..  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'm thinking maybe that wasn't the actual car?  :confused:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm thinking maybe that wasn't the actual car?  :confused:

I didn't pick up on the " like " this one  :-[  :lol:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My first car was a 1953 Standard 8 - it was a very tired rust bucket when I bought it in 1958 because my girl friend at the time got fed up with pillion riding (on my motorbike!!!).

It had an 803cc push rod engine developing 25 HP. I learned a lot about cars during the 2 years I owned it and spent a load on repairs. It was my first experience of doing a complete engine overhaul - got it rebored, new pistons and valves, head skimmed, oil and water pumps - you name it.

I don't have a photo of the car - but here is a library picture of an identical one (but in rather better condition than mine)

Like mine - the car in the picture was the basic model without a boot lid - only the de-luxe model had a lid. You accessed the boot by folding down the rear seat which was quite awkward - even for a fit youth like myself.

Before the engine overhaul the car refused to start on cold mornings. It had a starter button rather than a switch and I found that I could open the drivers door and bonnet and be able to reach the starter button whilst standing outside the car. Hence I was able to pull the air filter off the SU down draught carburettor, light up a paraffin blow lamp, reach in and press the starter button to get the reluctant engine cranking  - at the same time directing the blow lamp into the carburettor -  it would then fire off with an almighty roar. I was the official morning alarm clock for our street.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

In 1958 I was just entering this world and you were racing around with girls on the back of your motorbike........ :Shocked:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very interesting Alan.. :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Mine, Morris Minor 850 OHV Don't know what year though. Rego RCS-408. I have a good memory for Rego Numbers,,,,,, completely useless info  :faint:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I have a good memory for Rego Numbers,,,,,, completely useless info  :faint:

S4ME ERE
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have a good memory for Rego Numbers,,,,,, completely useless info  :faint:

S4ME ERE

YE4H ME 2

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
ID 10TS
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

ID 10TS

See, I told you gentleman was stretching the truth a bit  :P

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Mine was a 1970 VW Beetle (sorry, Type 1) 1500.  Like Dazz, all show, no go.  It did have extractors and when running down hill with my foot off the accelerator it would backfire, with flame!!!  Apparently it looked awesome at night!!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Mine was a 1970 VW Beetle (sorry, Type 1) 1500.  Like Dazz, all show, no go.  It did have extractors and when running down hill with my foot off the accelerator it would backfire, with flame!!!  Apparently it looked awesome at night!!

What was the rego  :whistler:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

What was the rego  :whistler:

247 AZP

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
My first car was a 1966 VW Beetle which I bought while on a trip to Canberra. Paid $850 for it and then drove it back to Victoria while my brother followed (just in case).

I put on a set of extractors and had some 14" rims made up so I could fit some decent wide tyres. These tyres made it a handful on loose gravel as the car then wanted to plow straight ahead on corners. Made for some scary moments!

I fitted a voltage invertor so I could then install a 12 volt stereo and I put my carpentry skills to use and closed off the luggage compartment behind the rear seat and installed some speakers either side while a removable lid in the centre still enabled me to store stuff there.

While it may have only had a 1300cc engine, it went surprisingly well and I even managed to see 90mph on the clock once (well, the needle was sitting where "90" would've been if it was actually on the speedo lol)....This was achieved racing down one of the local hills.... :lol:

I also found ground clearance wasn't the best when we crammed 6 young hoodlums into the poor thing on the way to a party.

Sadly, I eventually succumbed to peer group pressure and traded the Vee Dub in on a V8 Holden....  :rolleyes:

I do wonder if my beetle is still out there....  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My first car was a 1966 VW Beetle which I bought while on a trip to Canberra. Paid $850 for it and then drove it back to Victoria while my brother followed (just in case).

That is a coincidence we both paid $850 for our first cars  :goodjob:

Trish saw a VW Beetle burst into flames in a big head on accident many, many years ago (the driver died at the scene) and to this day I'm not allowed to even look sideways at a VW showroom..(when she is with me)  :rolleyes: (I did have another look at a VW Sirocco R today though..  :whistler: Yum  :mrgreen:)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

As the inaugural poster on this thread, I thought I should post some pics of the cars I was talking about.
Firstly, my first car as bought:

Secondly, my first car after repainting:

Thirdly, the good looking dude next to it is me, although you wouldn't know it now :) (Don't you just love the seventies dashmat?

And finally, my second car - a Chrysler Valiant Regal 770 318 V8 auto:

All photos taken in the mid-seventies.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

My old hard to see photos have been optimised by Dazz, thanks mate  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My old hard to see photos have been optimised by Dazz, thanks mate  :goodjob2:

No worries mate .. Good as new.. (I probably should do mine too  :lol:)

Offline Glacius

• V.I.P

• no Norway
      Troms
goood damn u guys had awesome first cars!! , this was mine lol

These pics are NOT of my actualy car just same model
First car

and this was my 2nd

nothing major but it was the best car I had ,

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Nothing wrong with those for first and second cars.
I don't think it would have mattered what my first car was, as long as it went and it meant I didn't have to ride my pushbike everywhere.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I had a 1956 Morris Minor 850 OHV & yes, it was better than a bike, especially when it rained  :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal