i30 Owners Club

towbar fitting and wiring

Paolo5 · 51 · 42138

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I have done a 'towbar' search here and read the threads but have some questions that i30 owners may be able to answer.

I have a genuine Hyundai (hatch) towbar with genuine Hyundai wiring harness lined up to buy for a good price.

Previously I shied away from the idea of fitting one to my 2010 diesel hatch because I have read that you need to remove the rear bumper and then having to cut out a section of the bumper. (OUCH!!! and OUCH!!!)

Has anyone actually done this as opposed to having it done? I was hoping to find out if it is possible to fit the towbar WITHOUT removing the bumper and also the best way to cut out the bumper section cleanly (without cracking paint etc.)

I would also like to know how complicated it is to correctly wire the harness. Will I need to take it to my auto electrician mate or will it be obvious where the connections go?

Cheers

Pip
The one I have looks like the bumper was not cut but was lifted slightly in the centre. Seems to be a neat solution.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Pip,
Any chance of a photo?

What brand is the one that you have on your i30?

Cheers,
Paolo

Pip
Hi Pip,
Any chance of a photo?

What brand is the one that you have on your i30?

Cheers,
Paolo
It's dealer fitted Hy.
Dazz posted a pic in this thread. https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6053.msg69249#msg69249

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hyundai have 2 models out there....Dazzler's old one and the one that Rustynutz sent pictures of in the same link 

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6053.msg69249#msg69249

The one that I have lined up is the same as Rustynutz' one.   

Both appear to have had a section of the bumper removed directly over where the bar protrudes out to the exterior of the bumper. They both appear (from the photos) to have a split rubber fitting going over the cut for a neat looking finish.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
More info https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=11217.0 here. You don't need to remove the bumper and cutting it out is easy because it's soft plastic. I used tin snips for that.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Hati,
Many thanks for your input here and the link to the other thread. I am assuming that Hyundai supplied you with a genuine Hyundai towbar like the one that I have organised.
This is the other one that I have been considering:-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hyundai-i30-Hatch-Towbar-Brand-New-/170619344327?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b9b495c7

but would prefer to go genuine.

The seller of the Ebay towbar says that it is fitted without having to remove the bumper and you don't need to cut a section out of the bumper.

I have been told by everyone that I have asked about the factory bar that the bumper needs to be removed in order to fit it. It is fabulous to hear that it can remain there during fitting. I will put the back of the car on ramps. (I have come across those body screws with the phillips screw before and have some spares.)

When you said on the other thread:-
When you fit the correct tow bar, you need to cut the bumper (with tin snips) and a little out of the plastic covers too. The instructions say to throw the plastic underside cover away but I managed to fit them all back.

*In the fitting kit, was there a template to mark the piece to be cut?

*Was the wiring harness straightforward to fit? ie. unplug existing wires and plugging in new loom

*Were the fitting instructions easy to follow?

Many thanks,
Paolo5

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Yes mate, I fitted a genuine Hyundai tow bar. The eBay one is after-market and sits quite low, going up on steep driveways you might end up dragging it on the ground. The factory one is nice and high, no chance scraping it, unless you do wheelies  :Shocked: .  Plus the genuine bar has removable tow hitch so your shin will thank you some time down the track  :goodjob2: . I fitted it without any ramps, not ideal but it can be done.

Yes, there is a template, quite easy to work out the cut with that. The harness plugs into the tail light socket, you then plug the tail light into the socket on the new harness. Both sides are the same. Good description also how to remove the boot trim to get the harness across from left side to the right.

All in all, if you are good with your hands, you should have no problems.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Many thanks, Hati!

I reckon that I will give it a go.

How long did the job take you?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Many thanks, Hati!

I reckon that I will give it a go.

How long did the job take you?

Just buy a cheap caravan or trailer to start with though  :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Took me a couple of hours with coffee(s) and moving at a snail's pace  ;)
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
A very easy job, mother had it on hers, and i swapped it to mine, because I use it more. 6 bolts if i remember rights, and the wiring is simple. mine is whitter? i think. sits nicely, no cutting needed :)
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Paolo, as they said easy to fit. I had one i got from a towbar manufacturer in Botany cost around $150 new, they took an hour to do the job. it was not the Hayman type like in pic. it was tube with a flat bolt on hitch. so no ground clearance issue, never had it scrape. the bumper is not removed its the plastic wind defector that bolts or screws to the lower bumper. but i'm not putting one on my new i30, she will never tow a trailer. even though the i30 pulls trailers well. do not think they are designed to do that as only light springs. so i'm not fitting one. still have the one that came off my first i30 here. also got a 5X8 box trailer for sale its in top condition too always kept in garage. i pulled two harleys with my first i30 & useing this trailer. the diesel pull with ease.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I picked up the new towbar and harness on Saturday. All brand new. I have read the installation instructions (which are straightforward). Recommended times for Hyundai mechanic to fit are:- towbar 45 minutes, harness 20 minutes.

Offline Sprintir

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Southampton
I’ve been reading your towbar comments and views with interest. I will be ordering a new generation i30 and wish to fit a towbar but Hyundai website doesn’t have one listed. I phoned Hyundai UK and asked when one would be available and if I fitted it or an aftermarket one will this affect my warranty, YES by fitting it yourself will affect the warranty was the reply.
Before fitting one yourself it may be worth checking with Hyundai first

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Thanks for that Sprintir &  :welcome: to the :i30: forum.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I’ve been reading your towbar comments and views with interest. I will be ordering a new generation i30 and wish to fit a towbar but Hyundai website doesn’t have one listed. I phoned Hyundai UK and asked when one would be available and if I fitted it or an aftermarket one will this affect my warranty, YES by fitting it yourself will affect the warranty was the reply.

Welcome Sprintir... Provided you install if properly as per the instructions that come with it you should be fine (if you are a mecanically minded person) If the Warranty is void it would only be for anything Tow bar related (not the whole car) :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Interesting.
On Megan's Mazda, the dealer said if we get window tint after-market it will void the warranty on anything to do with the power windows, central locking, door rattles, etc, as they have to take the interior trims off to do the tint.
If, however, we go with their (after-market) people to do it, it won't void the warranty. ? :confused:
And their price for window tint?
$700.  :rolleyes:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Interesting.
On Megan's Mazda, the dealer said if we get window tint after-market it will void the warranty on anything to do with the power windows, central locking, door rattles, etc, as they have to take the interior trims off to do the tint.
If, however, we go with their (after-market) people to do it, it won't void the warranty. ? :confused:

Blackmail or Extortion .. take your pick  :undecided:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
agree with you Daz,...they sent my car to the same people that I was going to go to to get it tint,...and would have saved $400 in the process

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Surely that can be challenged. If your company is their company, where is the conflict.  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
it came up as a warranty issue with the new car and what they fit...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Interesting.

I'd be telling them to take a long walk off a short pier.... :mad:
There was no trim removal at all when I had my i30 tinted...

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
You would have to wonder how Hyundai Australia (or anyone else for that matter) would know that a genuine Hyundai towbar was fitted by someone else other than a Hyundai dealer.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Interesting.

I'd be telling them to take a long walk off a short pier.... :mad:
There was no trim removal at all when I had my i30 tinted...

I did, but not quite in those words.
You'veGTBFJoking  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Sprintir

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Southampton
db08 and Dazzler thanks for your welcome. As this will be my first Hyundai (I30)  I'm sure there will be a few question need answering

Dazzler thank for your comments, i need to get clarification before the car is ordered.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Your location isn't shown but in the E.U. all towbars have to be type approved and fit the car manufacturer's pre-installed mounting points.  That being o warranty cannot be affected unless the fitting was so poorly done it affected some other part.

Electrics are a different matter as these require tapping into existing wiring.
Using a manufacturer's approved wiring kit is the only way to ensure that a warranty claim on electrics is not subject to refusal.

Here is an approved kit  fitting instructions for i30 up to 2011.
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/Wiring_instructions/19080507RC.pdf

Witter towbar fitting instructions  http://www.pfjones.co.uk/witter/HY46A.pdf

link to the whole site  http://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/tow-bars-for-hyundai/hyundai-i30-towbars/hyundai-i30-hatchback-towbars.html

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Your location isn't shown but in the E.U. all towbars have to be type approved and fit the car manufacturer's pre-installed mounting points.  That being o warranty cannot be affected unless the fitting was so poorly done it affected some other part.

Electrics are a different matter as these require tapping into existing wiring.
Using a manufacturer's approved wiring kit is the only way to ensure that a warranty claim on electrics is not subject to refusal.

Here is an approved kit  fitting instructions for i30 up to 2011.
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/Wiring_instructions/19080507RC.pdf

Witter towbar fitting instructions  http://www.pfjones.co.uk/witter/HY46A.pdf

link to the whole site  http://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/tow-bars-for-hyundai/hyundai-i30-towbars/hyundai-i30-hatchback-towbars.html

They don't allow that type towbar in Australia baradeur.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

They don't allow that type towbar in Australia baradeur.

I did start off.....Your location isn't shown but in the E.U. all towbars have to be type approved

Do you mean towbar assembly or just the tow "hook"?

Do  towbars fit the same mounting points in Oz  as in the E.U. or are the chassis not pre-drilled for Oz?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal