Either good or bad (or both) news you'd like to share with us

meehalych · 5194 · 1188168

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
CraigB, those Australian wasps look a lot like what we call here 'malbye' (Literally 'mad-bees') {Polistes marginalis Fabricius} and I have unfortunately been stung a few times by them.

Our African Honey Bees are pretty tame in comparison plus their stingers are barbed which means that they can only sting once. It is pretty painful though, and many people are allergic to them and they have the reputation of being killer bees because if threatened they don't easily stop the pursuit. Much like a fat kid after cake :lol:

• 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
+ we are 90% moved in to the new house...there are still a few odds and ends that need to be done (curtain rails, staining of the picture rails and skirtings and the odd paint touch up here and there) but the beds and all the important bits are in, so it is pretty liveable.
- Monday again, and there aren't any public holidays this week which means a full 5 day week - what an injustice! :rolleyes:
- with all the moving we did, Hippo has some damage to the interior door linings and such where boxes and tubs have scratched the plastic. It looks pretty bad in places, and I have no idea how I am going to remedy it as the plastic is pretty hard to begin with. At least with the seats folded flat and the parcel shelf removed it swallows a ton of stuff!
+ Winter is on its way, which means cooler days and a car I can climb into after it has stood in the sun for a few hours without burning on every surface I touch :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
+ we are 90% moved in to the new house...there are still a few odds and ends that need to be done (curtain rails, staining of the picture rails and skirtings and the odd paint touch up here and there) but the beds and all the important bits are in, so it is pretty liveable.

We've been in our home for 5 years and that's still not done yet.  :snigger:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

- with all the moving we did, Hippo has some damage to the interior door linings and such where boxes and tubs have scratched the plastic. It looks pretty bad in places, and I have no idea how I am going to remedy it as the plastic is pretty hard to begin with.

Yes, the hard plastic in the FD is crap and marks pretty easily.. I found a bit of tire shine spray rubbed in with a soft rag hides it a bit.. but don't use much as they can be a bit fumey...  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
For shame! :faint:

I am only jesting of course - my folks' home on the farm has been in maintenance mode for the past 8 years, and there are pieces of the house that still need tiles where the concrete is still bare :lol:

House renovation projects seem to be a neverending story; by the time you finish the last bit on the one side of the house you need to start on the other side again :mrgreen:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
At least you've got an excuse, I'm running out fast. :lol:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Yes, the hard plastic in the FD is crap and marks pretty easily.. I found a bit of tire shine spray rubbed in with a soft rag hides it a bit.. but don't use much as they can be a bit fumey...  :goodjob:
Thanks Dazz, I'll give it a shot this weekend. One thing that I was thinking of (but might be a bit risky) is using a heat gun to slightly soften the plastic gouges and see how that goes. I'd first try it out on some scratches in the boot, naturally, to see that it works. Afterwards I will see if I can get a grain pad to match the finish and try and reshape the plastic :goodjob2:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Try cold first with a piece of hard but flexible blunt plastic. Rub the edges back into the scratch and then once it looks good spit on your finger and give it a good rubbing (yeah yeah hahaha dirty minds)
I can work wonders on trim scratches with my trim removal tools.
Much more effective on lighter scratches of course.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Gouges  :Shocked:

:faint:

You been rustling cattle again  :question:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Gouges  :Shocked:

:faint:

You been rustling cattle again  :question:

Thanks Tim, I will give it a go this weekend and let you know how it goes :goodjob2:

When I bought the car it already had a few scratches on the inside, hence why the price I paid for it was 1/3 less than book value. I don't care too much for the interior condition as it makes no difference to the feel and ride quality of the car, but I would like to fix it up once I know I won't be moving anything anytime soon. Followed by a deep clean and a clay bar session, of course :cool:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
First of....don't use the heat gun......

Secondly instead of using tire shine.....this is what a lot of professional detailers use..... 303 vinyl protectant

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!

Secondly instead of using tire shine.....this is what a lot of professional detailers use..... 303 vinyl protectant

Neptune;

Why would you not recommend using the heat gun method? I'm also afraid that vinyl protectant won't suffice as the gouges are too deep - I will see if I can get a pic up tomorrow or so when I am back at work

EDIT: Off topic, but in Australia can you drive an automatic car if you have received your license in a manual car and vice versa?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:29:40 by wabbit16 »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Neptune;

Why would you not recommend using the heat gun method? I'm also afraid that vinyl protectant won't suffice as the gouges are too deep - I will see if I can get a pic up tomorrow or so when I am back at work

EDIT: Off topic, but in Australia can you drive an automatic car if you have received your license in a manual car and vice versa?
If you have a manual licence you can drive both. But if you have an auto licence   you can only drive an auto...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
If you have a manual licence you can drive both. But if you have an auto licence   you can only drive an auto...
Ah, thought as much - same here in ZA. Thanks :goodjob2:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Ah, thought as much - same here in ZA. Thanks :goodjob2:
Not quite. In NSW you used to be able to get your license in an auto,  then after a year, could legally drive a manual.
This miht have changed since they brought in 3 year Provisional Licenses.

Still the same. P2 (green P) comes after one year.

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
P1 licence holders who passed their driving test in an automatic vehicle (including vehicles with an automatic clutch actuator) will be restricted to driving automatics. This condition remains until you are issued with a provisional P2 or unrestricted licence. To remove the condition earlier, you must pass a driving test in a manual vehicle.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I can't believe we've been a year and still haven't unpacked all the boxes yet!   :-[
  • Tertius the i30

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Oh I see, it is quite complicated compared to here then.

Over here (I don't have my license with me for reference so going by memory) you get either a code 8, 10 or 12 license which allows you to drive a vehicle with a GVM of <3500kg, 3501 - 10'000kg, or >10'000kg respectively. Furthermore, your standard license allows you to drive automatic or manual, provided you passed your license driving test in a manual. Passing in an automatic car limits you to a manual, no questions asked.

Our learners' permits work a bit arb - the day you turn 17 you may write your learners test, after which you will be allowed to drive a vehicle in your class (8, 10 or 12) as long as someone who holds a valid license in the same class is seated in the passenger seat. The day you turn 18 you may do your driving test and get your license proper.

With bikes, you can write your learners at age 16 and drive a motorcycle <125cc alone. Once you turn 18, the restriction on cc is lifted and you can go as big as you like, even without ever doing your driving test. You only need to re-write your learners every two years or actually do your driving test if you so please. Apologies if what I wrote sounds confusing; I am running a bit low on caffeine and the mind isn't too sharp this morning :crazy1:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm pretty sure the abov post of mine only applies in NSW. The other states are as per Dazz's info. Including Qld where I live.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Here in Victoria if you pass your probationary drive test in a vehicle with an automatic transmission, you can only drive vehicles with an automatic transmission during your probationary period.

At the completion of your probationary period, you can then drive a manual or an auto...  :)

If you obtained your licence in an auto vehicle but then want to drive a manual while still on your probationary licence you are then required to redo the drive test and pay the licence variation fee...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That's dumb.
If you haven't been taught to drive a manual, how the hell are you supposed to know how to drive one?  :undecided:
It should be learn in an auto, drive an auto.
Learn in a manual, drive either.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That's dumb.
If you haven't been taught to drive a manual, how the hell are you supposed to know how to drive one?  :undecided:
It should be learn in an auto, drive an auto.
Learn in a manual, drive either.
Agreed Dave.
With my 2nd son and my daughter,  they learned in an auto and their first cars were autos. But both later bought manuals and I coached them in the differences.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It's pretty much the same for Tasmania too....

If an automatic vehicle only condition has applied to a minimum period of three (3) years (not including periods of licence suspension or disqualification), it can be removed from the licence on request. If the automatic only condition has not applied for at least three (3) years, the customer will need to successfully undertake a driving test in a manual motor vehicle for it to be removed.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That's dumb.

Get someone you know that drives a manual to show you the ropes...
If you have no friends, get a driving school to show you....easy peasy!  :D

I reckon these local Government departments should be applauded for cutting some of the red tape...  :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Where's the red tape :confused: everyone should be taught to drive manual first off so you learn how to actually control a vehicle, then drive what ever you like after that " easy peasy " :D

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I was taught to drive in a manual car, did my licence test in an auto (driving school's car), and didn't have any restrictions placed on my licence.  I was able to drive my parents' manual car on my provisional licence.

It also seems that the restrictions on what type of car you can drive on your provisional licence varies from state to state.  For example, in Tasmania there are no restrictions on what car you can drive, for example you can drive a V8 or turbo charged car.  In Victoria I believe that it is different, and may depend on the year when the car was made as well as its power to weight ratio.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I agree that everyone should learn to drive manual. Problem being there's some out there that can't even handle autos. Also in today's world manuals are getting less and less common.
Both of my girls will learn in a manual even if I have to force them.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Where's the red tape :confused: everyone should be taught to drive manual first off so you learn how to actually control a vehicle, then drive what ever you like after that " easy peasy " :D

:whsaid:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

The red tape was making drivers sit another driving test just to remove the restriction off your licence...that and slugging you a fee....

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal