i30 Owners Club

Either good or bad (or both) news you'd like to share with us

meehalych · 5194 · 1182557

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Where's the red tape :confused: everyone should be taught to drive manual first off so you learn how to actually control a vehicle, then drive what ever you like after that " easy peasy " :D

The red tape was making drivers sit another driving test just to remove the restriction off your licence...that and slugging you a fee....
Hence why I said they should all be taught to drive a manual first.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That's dumb.
If you haven't been taught to drive a manual, how the hell are you supposed to know how to drive one?  :undecided:

Get someone you know that drives a manual to show you the ropes...
If you have no friends, get a driving school to show you....easy peasy!  :D

I reckon these local Government departments should be applauded for cutting some of the red tape...  :goodjob:

There's more to driving a manual than getting Uncle Russell to show you the ropes.
If you are not taught to drive a manual before getting your licence, you shouldn't be allowed to drive a manual IMO.
But then, I probably don't have much experience in this area.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
By the way, it would seem things have changed in NSW too...

This from the NSW Transport Roads & Maritime Road Users Handbook:

PASSING YOUR DRIVING TEST IN AN AUTOMATIC VEHICLE
if you passed your driving test in an automatic or clutchless manual
transmission vehicle, you can only drive a manual vehicle as a P1
driver when accompanied and supervised by a full licence holder.
if  you wish to drive a manual vehicle unaccompanied before you’re
issued with a P2 licence, you must pass the driving test in a manual
vehicle with a foot-operated clutch.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
By the way, it would seem things have changed in NSW too...

This from the NSW Transport Roads & Maritime Road Users Handbook:

PASSING YOUR DRIVING TEST IN AN AUTOMATIC VEHICLE
if you passed your driving test in an automatic or clutchless manual
transmission vehicle, you can only drive a manual vehicle as a P1
driver when accompanied and supervised by a full licence holder.
if  you wish to drive a manual vehicle unaccompanied before you’re
issued with a P2 licence, you must pass the driving test in a manual
vehicle with a foot-operated clutch.

That is what Trev said, Rusty.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That's dumb.
If you haven't been taught to drive a manual, how the hell are you supposed to know how to drive one?  :undecided:

I reckon these local Government departments should be applauded for cutting some of the red tape...  :goodjob:

There's more to driving a manual than getting Uncle Russell to show you the ropes.
If you are not taught to drive a manual before getting your licence, you shouldn't be allowed to drive a manual IMO.

What's the difference to getting Uncle Russell to teach you to drive a manual if you decide get a manual licence first off???  :winker:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That's dumb.

What's the difference to getting Uncle Russell to teach you to drive a manual if you decide get a manual licence first off???  :winker:

The driving test.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
That's dumb.

The driving test.

Yes, agreed.  However, if Uncle Russell teaches you to drive in a manual, and you pass the test, then you pass the test.  Same in an auto.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That's dumb.

The driving test.

Yes, agreed.  However, if Uncle Russell teaches you to drive in a manual, and you pass the test, then you pass the test.  Same in an auto.

Agreed.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That's dumb.

The driving test.

The test doesn't teach you anything....

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That's dumb.

The driving test.

The driving test confirms that you have acquired the necessary skills during the training period to be able to drive safely on our roads.
Are you suggesting that we shouldn't have driving tests?   :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
+ My gym membership is paying off
+ I have a run planned tomorrow morning (22 minutes, or just under 4km) plus a 5 minute walk warm up and cool down.
- I have a run planned tomorrow morning
- I don't like running
+ I like the endorphins that running releases
+ I like the weight loss that comes with running
+ My arms and legs are getting better definition
+ Stomach is getting smaller

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
+ I have a run planned tomorrow morning (22 minutes, or just under 4km) plus a 5 minute walk warm up and cool down.
- I don't like running

Need bacon  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
That's dumb.

The driving test.

The driving test confirms that you have acquired the necessary skills during the training period to be able to drive safely on our roads.

Agreed (we seem to be doing that a lot) however, it is not allowed to teach you anything.  Rusty stated that regardless of who taught you in what car, the test is just that, a test; the passing criteria are the same.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
+ FatBoy has got the thread back on topic
- FatBoy might need to change his username if his fitness regime pays off
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
- I don't like running

Need bacon  :exclaim:

Nope, getting plenty of that!!  Mmmmmm, protein!!   :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

- I don't like running

- I don't have a gym membership
+ I have no run planned for tomorrow  :D
+ I don't like running
- I haven't experienced the endolphins that come with running
+ My arms and legs aren't tired
+ My stomach is growing which means I'll be able to park in the pregnancy bays at the shopping centre soon.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
- I don't like running

- I don't have a gym membership
+ I have no run planned for tomorrow  :D
+ I don't like running
- I haven't experienced the endolphins that come with running
+ My arms and legs aren't tired
+ My stomach is growing which means I'll be able to park in the pregnancy bays at the shopping centre soon.  :D

You can have one of mine if you like?  I have two memberships (one in Tassie and one in Broome).
+ I pay half price for my membership in Broome due to FIFO
- It is still more than full membership in Tasmania, Victoria, South Australia, New South Wales, Queensland and the Northern Territory

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That's dumb.

The driving test.

Agreed (we seem to be doing that a lot) however, it is not allowed to teach you anything.  Rusty stated that regardless of who taught you in what car, the test is just that, a test; the passing criteria are the same.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Jamie...  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Rusty said that making a driver sit an extra test was red tape.
But if a driver isn't made to sit an extra test (for a manual licence) when they learned in an auto, how do we know that the driver is competent in driving a manual?
I still maintain that there should be a driving test before anyone is set free on our roads driving a car with a manual transmission.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
 :whistler:
But if a driver isn't made to sit an extra test (for a manual licence) when they learned in an auto, how do we know that the driver is competent in driving a manual?
I still maintain that there should be a driving test before anyone is set free on our roads driving a car with a manual transmission.

I've seen very incompetent drivers that have licences, which they gained in various vehicles, sometimes driving the same vehicle, sometimes not.  If you were serious about competence on the road EVERYBODY should do a test annually to check. 

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It is a proven fact that running is no good for the body, because of what it does to the hips , knees and ankles...... the best is to do a cardio workout using weights, which will burn more calories than running and also burn calories longer than running. ie: when you stop running, you calories stop burning within 40mins, but with a weight cardio session you are still burning calories 12hrs later....add protein to the mix and you can't go wrong...... work the big muscle groups in the body and your T-Levels go up resulting in happy wife...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I've seen very incompetent drivers that have licences, which they gained in various vehicles, sometimes driving the same vehicle, sometimes not.  If you were serious about competence on the road EVERYBODY should do a test annually to check.

That is not the discussion, Jamie.
I tend to agree with your statement.
But we are talking about whether a new driver should be allowed to drive a manual car without sitting a driving test for a manual.
I say not.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

But we are talking about whether a new driver should be allowed to drive a manual car without sitting a driving test for a manual.
I say not.

:whsaid:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

I say not.

FFS, I keep agreeing with you!!!  How long after they get their license are they considered not a new driver?  How much driving experience (years driving, age, hours on the road) would you consider experienced enough not to require a test to see if you can drive a manual.  As stated previously, I didn't do my test in a manual, but I drive a manual car, and did from day dot.  I was taught to drive a manual by my father, with the refining done by the driving school in an auto.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I say not.

FFS, I keep agreeing with you!!!  How long after they get their license are they considered not a new driver?  How much driving experience (years driving, age, hours on the road) would you consider experienced enough not to require a test to see if you can drive a manual. 

100 years.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Just a little FYI..........

In the Netherlands, if you take your test in an automatic you have to have a minimum of 1 year driving experience before you can drive a manual.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I thought this was topic about good and/or bad news, not fkin driving lessons :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
- I have to wait another 73 years before I have enough experience.
+ No "at fault" accidents in 27 years of inexperienced driving.
- My shout for coffee, Dave.
+ It will be in Perth again.
++ Hopefully in summer.   :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

+ The good news is that in certain jurisdictions you are not allowed to drive a manual transmission vehicle until you have passed a driving test in a manual transmission vehicle.

- The bad news is that in some jurisdictions, you are.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal