Either good or bad (or both) news you'd like to share with us

meehalych · 5194 · 1182322

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The Sydney Myer Music Bowl nearby must be much better, just not as big.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :-[
Sidney must be turning in his grave. :confused:
"ns"

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
+ Fontana di Trevi is open again
+ spending my day in the eternal city.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
+ Fontana di Trevi is open again
+ spending my day in the eternal city.

Who's the good looking fella with your girlfriend? :lol: :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
+ I got my car back from Hyundai after her 195'000km service that was done at 200'000km (due to my services being offset by 5'000km as it was serviced when purchased), so she WAS sparkly clean until I had to take the dirt road to the farm yesterday.
--- Hyundai took two days to do a basic service due to them 'being very busy', so I had to delay my holiday by a day and a half :(. They also cannot stamp the services done by the dealers from different provinces even though it is on their system, but that is a problem for another day. If they hadn't lost my booklet in the first place they wouldn't have this issue to begin with. Anyways...
+ Feels good to be on leave. 2015 was a tough year and I am glad it's over.
+++ Season's greetings to everyone here, may you all have a blessed festive season and a happy new year :goodjob:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
+ I got my car back from Hyundai after her 195'000km service that was done at 200'000km (due to my services being offset by 5'000km as it was serviced when purchased), so she WAS sparkly clean until I had to take the dirt road to the farm yesterday.
--- Hyundai took two days to do a basic service due to them 'being very busy', so I had to delay my holiday by a day and a half :(. They also cannot stamp the services done by the dealers from different provinces even though it is on their system, but that is a problem for another day. If they hadn't lost my booklet in the first place they wouldn't have this issue to begin with. Anyways...
+ Feels good to be on leave. 2015 was a tough year and I am glad it's over.
+++ Season's greetings to everyone here, may you all have a blessed festive season and a happy new year :goodjob:

Have a great break Phil...  :drinks:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
+ I managed to get some work done on mum's 2003 Mitsubishi Colt/L200 2.8TD that had a temperature gauge that went haywire and a speaker that was only playing intermittently.

The connector to the engine temp sender unit sheared off from the gravel roads she drives every day and it shorted against the engine block. This caused the gauge needle to peg in the red, even after disconnecting the battery. I ended up removing the Speedo cluster to push the needle back down by hand, crimped some new spade terminals on the wires and all seems to be well again. The speaker problem turned out to be a loose wire behind the head unit that was remedied with some tape :goodjob:. Now she is good for another 400'000 km :D

- All this was done in 35 degree heat and I was sweating like a pig afterwards. Roll on winter...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You do a good job for a young bloke Phil #2

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
You do a good job for a young bloke Phil #2
Dankie :)

I used to own a VW Golf Mk1 and as such I was forced to become mechanically inclined at a young age :p

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
- While mucking about on Hippo I found the driver side rear door 'nipple' that presses against the bodywork was missing. A quick inspection of the passenger side door revealed that there should be one there, but it's partner was sorely missing. I think it must have gotten detached on a previous cleaning endeavour.

+ I found my old Yamaha XT550 rear tyre and cut one of the less worn knobblies off which more or less could be worked down to the nipple size. 30 minutes later on the bench grinder (MX tyre rubber is tough!) I had a shape roughly resembling the part that I needed. I cut a groove with a hacksaw and presto! She fits nicely and the door closes with a nice thud again :goodjob:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
+ I found my old Yamaha XT550 rear tyre and cut one of the less worn knobblies off which more or less could be worked down to the nipple size. 30 minutes later on the bench grinder (MX tyre rubber is tough!) I had a shape roughly resembling the part that I needed. I cut a groove with a hacksaw and presto! She fits nicely and the door closes with a nice thud again :goodjob:

• 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Noyce! :goodjob:

I spent the morning installing and setting up a wireless extender to make sure our three storeys and pool area all get net coverage. :D

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
@Tim, I wasn't going to wait until next year for Hyundai to supply the part. I suffer from Instant Gratification Syndrome and being stuck on the farm isn't helping :p

@Gonz, which brand of extender did you get? N300? Must be quite a beast to cover such a wide area. My previous place had Ubiquiti Unifi AP's in and they were the bees' knees. Before that I had D-link units but they suffered from firmware bugs and I had to reset them every few days.

The Ubiquiti ones are about AU$20 dearer than the D-link's but well worth the extra expense

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Got it in one, mate. N300 it is! :goodjob:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
+ My i30 turned 8 years old on 20.12 and is still a joy to drive.
+ Passed last MOT with no remarks at all.
+ Passed last perforation/corrosion inspection without remarks as well.

- as it behaves so well it will take quite a while before I need a new i30...   :undecided:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

+ My i30 turned 8 years old on 20.12 and is still a joy to drive.
+ Passed last MOT with no remarks at all.
+ Passed last perforation/corrosion inspection without remarks as well.

- as it behaves so well it will take quite a while before I need a new i30...   :undecided:

:brilliant:

@ Phil # 2 Nice work, a lot of satisfaction in fashioning your own replacement part.

@ Gonz,  We used a Netgear 6200 extender and that is awesome!

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
while we are talking about extenders, I have a question about modems. My modem is ten years old and is still in use, be it good or bad, I don't know.

My question is after ten years have modem technology jumped leaps and bounds where mine would be redundant in todays market and if so, can a recommendation for a real good one be put forward

Regards

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
while we are talking about extenders, I have a question about modems. My modem is ten years old and is still in use, be it good or bad, I don't know.

My question is after ten years have modem technology jumped leaps and bounds where mine would be redundant in todays market and if so, can a recommendation for a real good one be put forward

Regards
A lot would depend on the capabilities of your system John, newer systems and modems can have AC wireless connection which is a lot faster than the older wireless setups.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Shambles posted a pic of the bees knees of modems not long ago.
I believe is was a 3 band device. I have a 2 band which allows 2x the data throughput & high rates.

My original was a 1 band 300 now I have 2 band 600 throughput, I think  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Regards

Hey Neptune, If you're after a cheapy, I'm happy to recommend one of these... :link: TP Link TD W8960N Wireless N 300Mbps ADSL2 Modem Router Brand NEW Aussie Stock | eBay

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Geez, I'd have to mortgage the house to buy one of those...   :Shocked:  :lol:

Think I'll stick with my cheapy.... :victory:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Regards
A lot would depend on the capabilities of your system John, newer systems and modems can have AC wireless connection which is a lot faster than the older wireless setups.

It is an Web Excel
ADSL2 + Router
Model No AL-2108TC

I then have a cable that connects the Web Excel to a Belkin wireless router..(Belkin 300N wireless router)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 14:10:26 by neptune »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's still pretty much the standard performance setup. Better gear might get you faster speeds or better wireless range but you may already have all the range you want and your speed may be limited more by the provider or line than your hardware. :goodjob:

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
The Christmas and New Year holidays are over, and it's time to go work again at tomorrow morning. I just came from outside setting the timer for the engine block heater to start heating two hours before departing. It will be down to -30°C tomorrow...  :cold:

Before Christmas it was many weeks of s***ty slush and rain, and now it turned to the other extreme. Sheesh...  :disapp:
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal