i30 Owners Club

2012 I30 Auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
There has been some discussion regarding gearing on the new model. Does anyone know whether the auto gearing has also been altered.  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Will be a 6 speed auto in all models Phil so a lot better than the old model... :-[ :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hey Dazz, i would wait see how reliable the 6 speed auto is. i still prefer manual if your planing on keeping the car long term as much easier to rebuild a manual than an Auto . also higher gearing would be good in Europe but here in Australia our speed limit too low to need it. plus taller gears excelerate slower less responcive  and manual needs more down shifts.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

hey Dazz, i would wait see how reliable the 6 speed auto is. i still prefer manual if your planing on keeping the car long term as much easier to rebuild a manual than an Auto . also higher gearing would be good in Europe but here in Australia our speed limit too low to need it. plus taller gears excelerate slower less responcive  and manual needs more down shifts.

Don't worry John.. I would always go the manual where I have a choice. More fun to drive, cheaper purchase price in most cases, more responsive and generally more economical. I can't really see the fascination with the Auto in OZ  :disapp:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Don't worry John.. I would always go the manual where I have a choice. More fun to drive, cheaper purchase price in most cases, more responsive and generally more economical. I can't really see the fascination with the Auto in OZ  :disapp:

Too lazy, I guess  :-[

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
It fascinates me the difference between Europe and here in regards to manual and auto rates of use.

Over there, 80% of cars are manual whilst here it's the reverse. It's must be a cultural thing.

Sadly here in Australia, the lack of demand is killing off manual cars. When I was test driving cars before getting i30, I went to a Volkswagen dealership and asked about a manual Golf. Was told they didn't have any to test drive. I said you can organise one and let me know right? They said no, they rarely get one. They said test drive the DSG, it's the same anyway.  That was basically the end of me looking at a Golf.

• MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I was reared on manuals, but today's transmissions are a far cry from the EK Hydramatic autos of the 60's. Slow to change & quite musical as they progressed through their gear changes.

The biggest problem today is fuel efficiency, if only someone could develop a more efficient torque converter. Of course there are those drivers who must play with their sticks and shuffle their feet while driving and apparently derive great enjoyment from this, but I prefer to just let the car do it's thing.  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I am quite happy with the Auto Like CVT in my Hybrid but as you say the negative with autos is they are "usually" less economical than the manual  :'(

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Of course there are those drivers who must play with their sticks and shuffle their feet while driving and apparently derive great enjoyment from this

Yes, that's me  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Of course there are those drivers who must play with their sticks and shuffle their feet while driving and apparently derive great enjoyment from this

Yes, that's me  :D

and he enjoys a manual gear change too  :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :whistler: :mrgreen:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
It fascinates me the difference between Europe and here in regards to manual and auto rates of use.

Over there, 80% of cars are manual whilst here it's the reverse. It's must be a cultural thing.

Sadly here in Australia, the lack of demand is killing off manual cars. When I was test driving cars before getting i30, I went to a Volkswagen dealership and asked about a manual Golf. Was told they didn't have any to test drive. I said you can organise one and let me know right? They said no, they rarely get one. They said test drive the DSG, it's the same anyway.  That was basically the end of me looking at a Golf.

Hmm, you should have tried that DSG, it is a joy to drive with, and the fuel economy is allmost as good as the manual, 0,3-0,5 worse then a normal manual, if I remember correct. And the gearchange is even more smooth than a normal auto gearbox.

If they wasn't that expensive, I would love to have a DSG in my car.  :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
What's the cost to service this new 6 speed auto?

I know the 6 speed in the Falcon is very expensive to service
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal