i30 Owners Club

New I30 CDI hatch, manual

Offline Hithirty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Northern Territory
Took delivery of a nice white I30 hatch, diesel, 6 speed manual  with cruise control yesterday, and it was pretty good.
Put your foot down and it really flies, so it will be good for long distance travelling here in the NT.

Having just moved from a Japanese small car with a fully "digital everything" instrument cluster, reverting to an analogue cluster was a bit of a let-down (but not insurmountable. It just requires more interpretation to get the info, instead of instant knowledge). I can live with that.

.. but I'm a trifle disappointed. I suppose it's my fault because I beleived the salesman implicitly (he seemed to know a lot, and he said the vehicle would have one), but the one thing I did want, is an Odo that has the ability to have two trip meters, fuel usage, distance to empty, etc, etc.

Seems as though I'm stuck with one trip meter and the overall distance travelled odo.

Does anyone know if this can be "moded" to provide the extra functionality?

Cheers

Hithirty

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
That is a surprise - my new UK 2012 i30 1.6 CRDi has the following trip settings

Pressing the trip button for less than a second toggles the display as follows :-
•   Tripmeter A distance
•   Tripmeter B distance
•   Distance to Empty
•   Average fuel consumption
•   Instant fuel consumption (bar display limited to 50 mpg)
•   Average speed
•   Elapsed time. This is the total driving time since the last time reset. The driving time appears to keep going only whilst the engine is running and pauses when the engine is off.
•   User setting.
To zero any trip value - you hold down the Reset button for a couple of seconds for the selected display.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the forum Hithirty.
Is your new car the superceded FD shape or the new GD?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome to the club.. Sounds like you got a series one but still a great car (I could live with that issue)  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Welcome to the club.. Sounds like you got a series one but still a great car (I could live with that issue)  :whistler:

:whsaid:
That's what I've got except mine's the old five speed.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome Hithirty
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
hi thirty.  :razz: :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Hithirty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Northern Territory
Darned if I know ifit's the FD or GD shape. It's 2012 plated... but does anyone know if it CAn be moded to run the better info/odo display? I imagine it's only (???) a chip connection or chip replacement.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

If you look at our avatar pictures, eye30's is a new GD and mine's the old FD shape.
I can't answer your question, sorry.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Hithirty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Northern Territory
thanks db08... the only difference I can see with tired eyes is an uplift in the corner of the  foglights of the GD and what apperrs to be two horizontals in the grille. Based on this latter, I guess I've got the older shape... which peeves me.  As as far as I'm concerned, I have an "old" model car... and it's only two days old! Humph. I certinly paid top dollar - and would expect the latest and best... :mad:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The new model has only just hit the showrooms and I wouldn't be too worried about getting the previous one - they're a great car with lots of happy owners on here and you would have paid more for the newer one anyway.
You've got the same engine/transmission as the new shape and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The new model has only just hit the showrooms and I wouldn't be too worried about getting the previous one - they're a great car with lots of happy owners on here and you would have paid more for the newer one anyway.
You've got the same engine/transmission as the new shape and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Offline Hithirty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Northern Territory
Don't get me wrong... the performance is great. Not awe-inspiring, but great.

I guess my problem lies in the fact that I didn't get what I thought I was going to get (split odo, etc., which WAS on the vehicle we took for a test run). I guess I'm peeved about being taken for a sucker... and that then makes one super-critical about other things.

For example, what muddle-headed designer would give prominence on the instrument cluster to what has to be almost the least important information (in my opinion, distance travelled)   by highlighting it in lovely large blue eye-catching figures, whilst making the most important information - how fast I'm going in a restricted speed area - the most difficult information to get (and on a rootary dial at that)? It can't be a cost factor: digital displays are FAR cheaper than analogue ones! What's worse, in an area that has an urban spped limit of 50 km/hr, the speedo doesn't even have a 50 figure - just a blank spot where 50 would be, if there was a 50!

A major overhaul and major design upgrade are desperatley needed.

If I could, I'd sign off as "major disappointment"!

It's SO near - but so far!!!!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Would you believe I never noticed that before  :lol: The bright red marker at 50 is easy to see though...

The dash illumination during the day is more of a problem (unless you turn the lights to park)

Sorry you are finding the car a bit of a disappointment

As for an upgrade it has just happened (What you appear to have was released in 2007)  :whistler:

Pip
I've just read this thread and I can't understand how you could have test driven one car and bought another without recognising they were different. :confused: :confused:

The old and new models look completely different.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

As for analog speedo & tacho, the i30 is certainly not on it's Pat Malone when it comes to their use....  :rolleyes:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Were you aware that a new model was due for imminent release. The salesman should have pointed out at test drive that it was not the model you were buying. Was there no mention of a run out sale or discount. What manufacture date is on your vehicle. Too bad you didn't get some info from the forum first.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Hithirty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Northern Territory
To Pip:  It's not hard to do when the changes are cosmetic, and the car we wanted had to be "imported' from Tasmania, so we didn't get to see it until after it was landed and we were committed.

To 847563: No - I don't recall any mention of an updated model arriving on the scene. There was no "run out sale" nor a "run out price". Date of manufacture was Feb 2012 as I found today, looking at the compliance plate... and yes, it is a shame about not knowing about this forum.  I only came across this forum by asking Google if there was a site that talked about "modding" the odo info cluster, after we had  taken delivery. At the delivery inspection time the salesman was somewhat surprised that the odo was single-function, too

Our Hyundai i30 itself is fine (and I'm really impressed at the acceleration in 2nd and 3rd when you plant the foot - pretty good for a diesel {and a petrol for that matter}) and time will tell as to how robust it is, and I don't have a problem with that. The comparison is stiff though: A small Japanese hatch, 12 years old, with a very well designed, user-friendly fully digital instrument cluster. It now has 250,000 km on the clock and is getting tired. HOWEVER - the replacement Jap. model no longer had what we wanted: a fully flat rear floor after the rear seats were folded (a large dog) and a full size spare tyre, otherwise we would have bought it. The ONLY small-ish vehicle meeting these criteria was the i30.

I'll suffer  the poorly designed i30 analogue instrument cluster and daily curse the lack of Hyundai design flair and knowledge of good instrument design and understanding of the driver information needs IF the vehicle performs, and continues to perform, as well as other contributors to this forum indicate their vehicles perform BUT I wouldn't buy another unless the standard is lifted. And if I can upgrade the odo cluster, I will. ASAP!

Why does Hyundai think  it is important to balance the look of the instrument cluster by having a tacho and speedo of equal size - both hard to see quickly - separated by big blue attention-grabbing numbers of relatively unimportant information? Hello???? There is a better design parameter!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well, I think the dealership should be informed of your situation regarding the model "deception." Yes it is 2012 build but that is technically NOT the vehicle that was test driven. Very unimpressive performance IMO.

However, take some comfort in the fact that your car is younger than mine and if you like the performance of the engine now, it will only get better as it loosens up, many k's from now.

Regarding the instruments, we don't live in a perfect world and unless you design it yourself, you probably won't get exactly what you wanted. My biggest criticism is the daytime viewing is too dark. I will be altering the dash to light with the ign key, day or night. The illumination is provided by LED's so their longevity will probably be for the life of the car. I wouldn't do that with conventional bulbs.  :neutral:

Pip
I will be altering the dash to light with the ign key, day or night...
I look forward to that. :goodjob2: I thought about it but it fell into the too hard basket.

Offline Hithirty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Northern Territory

When you get it sortd, perhas you could publish the "how to" details, because I'd like to do that, too.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline TazManiac

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brighton, Tasmania
Do any of the fd models come with the extra trip functions? If so it could just be a matter of plug and play like a lot of the other upgrades (audio remote and cruis control come to mind).
  • 2012 i30 FD SX 2.0 Petrol

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Do any of the fd models come with the extra trip functions? If so it could just be a matter of plug and play like a lot of the other upgrades (audio remote and cruis control come to mind).

I don't think any do..  :undecided:

Offline TazManiac

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brighton, Tasmania
I was kinda hoping they did cause I wouldnt have minded having all the above either.
  • 2012 i30 FD SX 2.0 Petrol

Pip

When you get it sortd, perhas you could publish the "how to" details, because I'd like to do that, too.
Can we assume this never happened? Pity, it still bugs me a lot. Somebody want to give it a go? What happens with the new model FG?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The GD has the instruments lit all the time.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Can we assume this never happened? Pity, it still bugs me a lot. Somebody want to give it a go? What happens with the new model FG?

@Pip,

This has already been achieved, so I didn't proceed any further. I'll see if I can find the thread.  :)

I haven't done it but reply 33 seems to be the go.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=15930.30
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:11:20 by Phil. »

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Hithirty,if you test drove one car and you signed a contract on being led to believe the car that would be delivered was to be exactly the same as the test driver and all those features where listed on that contract,you ARE within your legal right to take the car back and have it replaced,for what you where told you where getting.
but they're still a great car.I would have liked mine to come with a hot young blonde,but sadly It didn't

:wttc:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal