i30 Owners Club

Help! Need advice on new i30 Manual SLX

Sasha · 9 · 2724

Offline Sasha

• 1st Gear

• :D
Hi all,

Really need some urgent advice

I'm looking at buying a used 2010 i30 and have test driven it.

Its really hard to know what to expect from the clutch and gearstick, though by the sounds of things in this forum a "light" feeling is pretty normal, compared to my old car.

The only thing i'm worried about otherwise is the vibration through the gearstick.
If i'm in 3rd gear with the clutch out and lightly press UP on the gearstick, it vibrates a bit, just enough to be visible by sight - if i'm not pushing up it still has vibration but less.

Anyone able to advise if this is about normal?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I think you'll find that vibration is normal....btw, is it diesel or petrol?

Welcome to our little forum, by the way....  :goodjob:  :drinks:

Offline Sasha

• 1st Gear

Hello,

Its a petrol

I dont think its normal as I was driving a friends i30 not 10 minutes ago and her gearstick felt quite smooth in comparison!

Any ideas on what it could be?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I can't answer you as to what it is but, it obviously still has the best part of 3 years warranty on it.
Is it driving smoothly or can you feel the vibration as well as see it?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Sasha

• 1st Gear

I can't answer you as to what it is but, it obviously still has the best part of 3 years warranty on it.
Is it driving smoothly or can you feel the vibration as well as see it?

Seems to drive smoothly enough, its just the feel of the vibrations through the gearstick which are off putting.

After driving another i30 today i'm convinced that the one I drove on the weekend has more vibration in it, though its hard to say if it will become a problem or not

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
As you rightly say, it's hard to see if it will become a problem, or not.

As stated earlier you do have an excellent warranty period left, but, if you feel uneasy bout things then you already know the answer yourself.

My car is a 1.6 petrol EDITION...   I don't recall feeling vibration in the gear stick however, I only only touch the gear stick to actually change gear WHAT I MEAN IS, I usually rest my free hand on the hand brake or the prominence of the passenger seat when not holding the wheel with it.

Good luck in your decision making.

Someone else may have better information for you.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I believe that the gear linkage from the grearstick to the gearbox is via cables. It could be that if they are adjusted too tightly some of the engine vibrations may feed back. It may be worth asking the dealership if it can be adjusted before you commit to buy
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Greetings Sasha & welcome, if you're buying from a Hyundai dealer, I would point out the vibration to your salesman and ask to test drive another. If there is a difference, than ask that it be rectified before considering a purchase. It could just be an adjustment required and as has been stated before, will be covered under warranty.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Sasha,

Did the clutch feel normal compared to the other i30 you drove today? The reason I say that is if the vibration is being generated by an iffy clutch then that may not be covered by the Warranty (as the clutch may be considered a wear and tear item)  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal