"P" plate regulations in Australia

Dazzler · 19 · 6818

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Found this summary in a magazine at a takeaway so I took a photo with my phone camera.. thought it might be of use/interest to some (hope it's readable)

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
wow...your phone is pretty clear in its pics! must be a pretty recent one!

but yeah...hate the rule about having to have the P plates displayed at all times...got pulled over before for a breathalyzer but someone stole my plates just before so I was fined...but good to see that you have posts for both younger and older drivers =D

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Just one thing on that Dazz, In NSW P platers can drive diesels that are turbo charged (Lucky for me!) It's only petrol turbo/super charged engines that are banned.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
HeHe, I've been driving for 34 years.. Can't even remember having to display "P" plates... :cool:

Hi Daniel.. I saw that and wondered...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

but yeah...hate the rule about having to have the P plates displayed at all times...got pulled over before for a breathalyzer but someone stole my plates just before so I was fined...but good to see that you have posts for both younger and older drivers =D
My wife was driving with a friend in my car the night before, took her L's off but didn't put my P's back, I had to go out the next morning and was so tired I didn't notice my P's weren't on. 2 demerit points :( there goes my perfect record.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... I didn't notice my P's weren't on. 2 demerit points :( there goes my perfect record.

How does that work? Did you get pulled by the Pollys? How do they know you needed them?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

... I didn't notice my P's weren't on. 2 demerit points :( there goes my perfect record.

How does that work? Did you get pulled by the Pollys? How do they know you needed them?
I got pulled over for a random breath test, they always take your licence off you if they pull you over, and they came back and said "where's your P plates" - they could see they were in the back seat next to the L's - and wouldn't have any of my explanation.
Actually I think it was the Australia Day long weekend, so there were more police about doing random's.

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
wow rubix..same time as me...stupid cops..you cant even make an excuse unless you are willing to take it into court...there were so many cops down Great Western Hwy at that time, even at like 1am...

was so paranoid that it was double demerits on not having P plates on...when can you go for your full license Rubix?

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

wow rubix..same time as me...stupid cops..you cant even make an excuse unless you are willing to take it into court...there were so many cops down Great Western Hwy at that time, even at like 1am...

was so paranoid that it was double demerits on not having P plates on...when can you go for your full license Rubix?
The second funny thing is, I was eligible for full licence on the 1st of February & got it first go on that day. Go figure.

It's ok, the government has to make money some how. I just make it back in tax evasion anyway :S <as I type this, an ATO clerk is exclaiming in glee as his Internet data-mining program points out another offender>

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Yeah, luckily double demerits only applies to drinking/drugs, seatbelt, and speed related offences. Don't quote me though - I'm not sure about the mobile phone thing or defects - whether they give double demerits also. But plate-not-displayed is not a double-demerit/double-fine offence.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Nothing like this in UK.

Once you past test no requirement to dispaly any P's,Q's, R's or S's.

No restrictions in driving  - 24 hours
No restrictions on passengers.

That's the problem in UK.  17 year old's who think that because they have a full licence they know it all!!!!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
Only restrictions here are after you pass the test you get a one year drivers license and if you have less than 4 points after that you can take the driving test again, but it's not really a test, just one hour with your driving instructor and he must accept your driving and behavior.

It's easy getting 4 point, just drive one time over red light.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Only restrictions here are after you pass the test you get a one year drivers license and if you have less than 4 points after that you can take the driving test again, but it's not really a test, just one hour with your driving instructor and he must accept your driving and behavior.

How many points for  Husky? :lol:

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

:question:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

[/quote]

Husky Dog
Husky sledging is a popular activity in many winter tours to Iceland

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Husky Dog
[/quote]

then you know more than I doo  :razz: I had no idea  :-[

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Husky Dog

I think that's Siberia & Alaska mate  :biggrin:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

See, this makes me think of a stunt-driving computer game... 4 points for driving over a red light... 2 points for driving through it... 10 points if you can driver over 2 red lights in the one jump...

Offline davet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

• Rides: i30 crdi SLX white
HeHe, I've been driving for 34 years.. Can't even remember having to display "P" plates... :cool:
Got my license in NSW in 1968.  Was definitely P plates then (but only red ones for 12 months, no green ones)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal