i30 Owners Club

Terribly Sad News

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1685571/Driver-dies-in-Targa-Championship-rally

I wonder how many Targa deaths will happen before there's a major outcry?

I think this makes 4 in Sth Oz, at least 1 (Peter Brock) in W.A. and I'm not sure about Tassie. Dazz? (one, I think).
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Very sad.
I don't know but it would be a shame to see motorsport suffer.
There are risks in lots of sports.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Very sad.
I don't know but it would be a shame to see motorsport suffer.
There are risks in lots of sports.
Agree Dave. I guess I was making the point that there "appears' to be a higher percentage of deaths in the Targa rallies than circuit events or normal special stage rallies.
Targa events are only a couple (maybe three) a year whilst there are several ARC events as well as several State Rally Championship events (in each State) every year, with very few deaths. I think the last was the death of possum Bourne's co-driver in the WRC event in WA quite a few years ago now.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes, I remember that one.
Both P.B.'s were legends.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
These dudes are driving on my roads and all I can say is it's no place for this kind of driving. I expect surferdude to disagree with me, due to his great involvement in the sport & in anticipation, I respect his opinion. I just think the victim's family and friends will wonder whether his life sacrifice was worth it & the passenger also. Very sad indeed. :'(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I respect your view too, but I think that controlled motoring events with strict guidelines are an important part of the motoring scene in Australia and I for one would be sad to see them abolished due to these crashes.
The participants know the risks and participate voluntarily.
The real need is to minimize the risk to other members of the public.
Rallying has been around for as long as cars have and it's a great sport, both participant and spectator-wise, with a huge following world-wide.
I'm not in favour in stopping everything that carries a risk in life but I do agree that those risks need to be managed to the best of our ability.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
At the risk of appearing controversial... and a *nod to 847...

The public roads may not be the best place for this unless they are closed off...

BUT...

As a biker I always said to my Mrs... "If I die on my bike dont grieve... I died doing what I loved doing..."

And I guess these guys would feel the same way, as usual its easier for the victim, it's them left behind that do the suffering after they are gone.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think only one Trevor (in 15+ years of Targa Tasmania)

Very Sad.. Just did a search can't see a name released yet  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
These dudes are driving on my roads and all I can say is it's no place for this kind of driving. I expect surferdude to disagree with me, due to his great involvement in the sport & in anticipation, I respect his opinion. I just think the victim's family and friends will wonder whether his life sacrifice was worth it & the passenger also. Very sad indeed. :'(
No 84, I don't disagree with you.

In my original post I questioned how long this type of event would continue before officialdom closed it down on some pretext or other. My involvement has always been with rallies but not with the Targa style events. They are, of course, a re-creation of the Targa Florio run for many years in Italy. But it, too IIRC eventually was discontinued due to safety concerns.

In this day of "everything old is new again" they've been resurrected in Oz, first in Tassie and later in WA and SA, with one only in Qld (2007). Of course, the roads are closed to the public for the duration  of the event.  Which (I understand) causes no end of disruption to residents along those roads.

I can offer no explanation for the number of deaths in Targa events versus those in other rallies in Australia. But it's becoming very noticeable. For the number of competitive kilometers covered, it's very glaring.

As someone else said, any sport is dangerous and both the competitors and their families are aware of the risks. However, I also agree there would be family members who are unhappy about their loved ones' involvement.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

As someone else said, any sport is dangerous and both the competitors and their families are aware of the risks. However, I also agree there would be family members who are unhappy about their loved ones' involvement.
[/quote]
inside the front page of my cams licence booklet it says in bold letters....motorsport is dangerous. at most tracks we marshal at theres only inches between you and the cars,my oldest son has nearly been hit by a v8 supercar in pit lane at philip island after two cars collided fighting for an exit.  :sweating:  my youngest son and myself had to duck for cover at sandown a few months ago after three formula fords flew past us upside down after colliding at very high speeds,wheels are the most common debris you need to be on the watch for.  :scared: an official was killed by a flying wheel at the Australian gran prix not too many years ago. my wife hates what the three of us do,put our lives on the line for the love of motorsport.  all drivers,co drivers and officials know the risks before they enter the vehicle or venue,motorsport is dangerous.  :neutral:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I love watching motorsport and accept that it is dangerous. Rememeber in the old days when Dick Johnson rearranged his Ford at the beginning of con rod straight. Just a slight problem, get off line and wham. Now in the years since the "road track" has been heavily modified to make it safer and more like a racing circuit, which was totally necessary, I still think it is one of the greatest circuits in the world. But closing off normal roads to rally drivers who take their sport so seriously as to go too far, for that extra second, is having serious consequences.

Thanks to the other respondents for putting their opinions forward as well in a non agressive manner. You people come from a different point of view as participants and marshalls.

@2i30s,

:Shocked:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
every motorsport event in Australia [that i can think of] has a motorsport chaplain give a prayer too all participating in the event at the end of muster [officials meeting each morning] and prays for current and passed drivers and officials safety.  :goodjob2: :goodjob: i used to rally in my younger days with my best mate as the navigator in an Rx-2 Mazda.  :mrgreen: the two of us recently were talking about the speeds we used to go through country roads in events and both commented that we wouldn't do it now days.  :scared: :faint: trees don't move....  :Shocked:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
every motorsport event in Australia [that i can think of] has a motorsport chaplain give a prayer too all participating in the event at the end of muster [officials meeting each morning] and prays for current and passed drivers and officials safety.  :goodjob2: :goodjob: i used to rally in my younger days with my best mate as the navigator in an Rx-2 Mazda.  :mrgreen: the two of us recently were talking about the speeds we used to go through country roads in events and both commented that we wouldn't do it now days.  :scared: :faint: trees don't move....  :Shocked:
Never seen one of those chaplain thingies at a rally Steve. Maybe they knew what you drove like and arranged one especially. :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Never seen one of those chaplain thingies at a rally Steve. Maybe they knew what you drove like and arranged one especially. :happydance:

:rofl: :goodjob:

I didn't know you used to drive a rally car Steve  :confused: (Why wasn't I told..)  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

:rofl: :goodjob:

I didn't know you used to drive a rally car Steve  :confused: (Why wasn't I told..)  :snigger:
And the RX2 was a pretty good rally car.
Almost as good as a Datto. :happydance:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal