i30 Owners Club

Windscreen Wiper Question

Robbo123 · 84 · 32653

Offline Robbo123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Elite
I feel like a total noob asking this...but...the front wiper system in my new GD i30 has me stumped. I know how to use wipers, but these ones seem different. I've read the manual but it seems to make little sense. I'm not sure if thee are the same wipers used internationally.

The "lever" for the wiper control seems to have 4 locking positions.
-> Off
-> Int mode (auto rain sensing)
-> Low
-> High
^
This could be wrong, but that's what they seem to do.

HOWEVER this bit has me stumped:

My theory is that the "Int mode" should correspond with the twisting knob above. The twisting knob has:
->MIST
->OFF
->AUTO
->LOW
->HI
 But it doesn't seem to, instead it seems to just stay automatic. I.e. the knob appears to do nothing.

Anyone have any ideas/theories? I'll be sure to bring it up with my dealer at the first service.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 10:59:46 by Swell »

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
The intermittent mode does vary speed even on the rain sensing models.

On yours when you enter Auto mode you should get an initial sweep as the system initialises.  If you have the wiper on lowest speed you will get an intermittent wipe when it senses enough rain, but this can be sped up by twisting the dial to faster, however it is only useful if you find that the lowest speed and rain sensing is not working fast enough for you, in proper rain the intermittent will always be over-ridden by the auto system.

Hope this helps!
Brian
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Robbo123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Elite

On yours when you enter Auto mode you should get an initial sweep as the system initialises.  If you have the wiper on lowest speed you will get an intermittent wipe when it senses enough rain, but this can be sped up by twisting the dial to faster, however it is only useful if you find that the lowest speed and rain sensing is not working fast enough for you, in proper rain the intermittent will always be over-ridden by the auto system.

Hope this helps!
Brian

That makes sense. Seeing as we haven't had much rain here of late, I haven't been able to do a proper test. Instead I have used a hose which seems to set it straight to the fastest setting. Ideally what setting do you think it would be best left on?

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I have my intermittent on the i40 on the first "click" up on the rotary dial, which I also had on the i30.

Offline Robbo123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Elite
I have my intermittent on the i40 on the first "click" up on the rotary dial, which I also had on the i30.

Alright thanks for that. Just another question if you don't mind. If I had the dial on "off" but the stalk clicked into the intermittent position, the auto wipers should not work? The "off" seems to do nothing for my wipers.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
The dial doesn't go to "OFF" it simply varies the speed from minimum to maximum ie longest delay between sweeps to shortest delay between sweeps, off is only available on the stalk.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
This is where the confusion has arisen:

The twisting knob has:
->MIST
->OFF
->AUTO
->LOW
->HI

The twisting knob actually corresponds to the markers on the stalk

The stalk itself move up/down for the MIST/OFF/AUTO/LOW/HI settings. In Auto (rain sensing) mode you'd drop the stalk down one notch to correspond with the AUTO setting. At that setting, the rotary dial then comes into effect.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Bumpkin
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Your stalk labels correspond to the following

Mist - Pull back on stalk
OFF
AUTO - Enables rain sensing which in light rain is variable via the rotary dial, the arrow for AUTO on the rotary is not related to the labels further right.
LO - Normal speed wipers without rain sensing.
HI - Fastest speed wipers without rain sensing.

Steve beat me to it :lol:

Offline Robbo123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Elite
RIGHT! That all makes complete sense :) I feel a bit silly now. My old car operated quite differently, hence the confusion. All sorted, thanks for the assistance guys  :D

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Activates the windscreen wash!

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR
Seems like a dumb word for that... why not call it 'wash' or 'water'.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
It's a spelling mistake - it should have been "missed". Some of the spray on my car goes over the roof.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I knew a lady once called Miss T.
She went right OTT too.
Sorry for the OT - it just reminded me.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Not really, once upon a time when you washed the windscreen a single jet of water was pumped onto the screen and you spread it about with the windscreen wipers, initially creating bug soup which you couldn't see through, then you had to keep squirting until the screen was clear, however the dry bits which hadn't had water applied got scratched by the dirt and grime being dragged across the screen with no lubricant.  Then they separated the single squirt into a dual jet and life got easier.

Now when we pull the lever we get a fine spray of water which covers more of the screen, is more effective at lubricating the entire area and reduces scratches.  This process is called misting, it is the same process for your screen as using a detailer spray on your bodywork, prior to clay or fresh contaminant removal  :goodjob:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 17:24:07 by bumpkin »

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
REALLY !!!!!   I woz always under the impression that I had a faulty winder washer thingy...    It's bloody marvellous this car

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
REALLY !!!!!   I woz always under the impression that I had a faulty winder washer thingy...    It's bloody marvellous this car

:-[ :-[ :-[ :p
Me too. :eek:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I'm just so happy that I have enough inertia which prevented me from getting a needle out and attempting to clear what I thought was a blockage.....   See, it is sometimes better to leave things as they are  :Shocked: :Shocked: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm just so happy that I have enough inertia which prevented me from getting a needle out and attempting to clear what I thought was a blockage.....   See, it is sometimes better to leave things as they are  :Shocked: :Shocked: :rofl: :rofl:
I did. :eek:
Didn't make any difference, fortunately. :wacko:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I was always under the impression that the "mist" setting at the top was for when there was only mist and you didn't want the windscreen wiper on. It is a spring loaded position that returns to off when you release it. That is, push up on the stalk when the rain is just enough to annoy you and you will get one wipe of the blades, clearing the mist.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:whsaid:

MIST should be a single sweep under spring loaded return (unless you hold it down, or up in Aus).

It is on mine (tho it's not marked as MIST on the stalk)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The Koreans probably thought they didn't need to explain that in the owner's manual.  :rofl: very funny chaps.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
 :-[ :-[

Mine has never been labelled MIST in any of the Hyundai's, and I have never seen one going upwards on a stalk, in the UK we usually call that flick wipe, since one flick of the finger gives a single sweep.

I still claim that these days you mist the screen in order to clean it :wacko:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Mine says "Mist". But I've never noticed it because it's so far behind the wheel.
But I use it all the time.

Just checked Claire's Corolla (2005) and it also says "Mist".
The terminology makes sense I guess. You just flick it up and let it go when you want one wipe only in very light rain, mist or spray.
Actually it was only a few weeks ago that I showed Claire how to use that function. She would always turn the wipers on for one sweep and then turn them off.
Hasn't rained since. :-[ :mrgreen:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...I showed Claire how to use that function

Hasn't rained since.

So it's your fault :P

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
...I showed Claire how to use that function

Hasn't rained since.

So it's your fault :P
Guilty as charged your honour. :blubber:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Soon, a Phd will be necessary for driving a car :wacko:
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Soon, a Phd will be necessary for driving a car :wacko:

No, just a wife.
They apparently know everthing.  :whistler:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Hope this helps!
Brian

Not really, once upon a time when you washed the windscreen a single jet of water was pumped onto the screen and you spread it about with the windscreen wipers, initially creating bug soup which you couldn't see through, then you had to keep squirting until the screen was clear, however the dry bits which hadn't had water applied got scratched by the dirt and grime being dragged across the screen with no lubricant.  Then they separated the single squirt into a dual jet and life got easier.

Now when we pull the lever we get a fine spray of water which covers more of the screen, is more effective at lubricating the entire area and reduces scratches.  This process is called misting, it is the same process for your screen as using a detailer spray on your bodywork, prior to clay or fresh contaminant removal  :goodjob:

I turned my Auto Sensing wipers off for the above reasons. On Auto it does an initial sweep when you start the car, which is generally dry so drags dirt etc across the windscreen. Anyone know if you can turn this initial sweep off? Seems like a silly idea to me and will likely cause scratches on the glass and premature wear of the wiper blades  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal