i30 Owners Club

Video playback on GD i30-Sat Nav model

RossC · 79 · 37585

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
So apparently after having a wee read of the navigation owner manual, it says on page 35 that video playback is supported via an AUX cable.
It also says you can use video off an ipod via an ipod cable.
I've tried this and cannot get it to work. There seems to be sound but no video.
So i purchased a proper iPod adapter that has the 3.5mm aux plug and usb in one. Now, when thats plugged in the unit cannot be switched to usb mode. Only aux.. Which is fine, but still; sound and no video.

Has anyone else had any luck?  :Dunno:

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
It could possibly be codec issues? Best bet is to try a different video format

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It could possibly be codec issues? Best bet is to try a different video format

:whsaid:

They usually give a list of the most suitable codecs .. I must check the manual  :winker:

Edit: I had a quick look through the 191 pages of "features of your vehicle" in the European GD i30 Manual and couldn't see any reference to video playback (maybe there is a supplementary leaflet?)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Here's a photo of the bit im talking about. Maybe yours is different..?  :D

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex
... read of the navigation owner manual, it says on page 35 ...

Is this a separate manual for the navigation system?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The page numbering is different  :undecided: (no mention of codecs or video formats I can see)  :Pout:

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
... read of the navigation owner manual, it says on page 35 ...

Is this a separate manual for the navigation system?

Mine came with two manuals for the sat nav, one has all the basic functions in it, like Bluetooth functions, radio functions etc. this is the one I'm meaning.
The other one is as thick as a novel and explains how to use the navigation software.
The dealership I purchased the car from doesn't seem to know anything about it..? I might try swing by a different Hyundai dealership and see if they can give any clues.
Would be pretty amazing to get this working :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Perhaps this may be of some help?  :undecided:

It does say that playing video through the USB is not supported....

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

The video input is through the 3.5mm aux jack from what I can see, not through the USB. The USB may be just used to keep the iPod/iPhone charged.. I'm going to try putting video through the aux jack using a 3xRCA to 3.5mm plug, and an old DVD player just to see if it works..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good idea  :goodjob:

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

The video input is through the 3.5mm aux jack from what I can see, not through the USB. The USB may be just used to keep the iPod/iPhone charged.. I'm going to try putting video through the aux jack using a 3xRCA to 3.5mm plug, and an old DVD player just to see if it works..

I have a thumb drive in my USB that I play all my music off. iPhone also plugs straight in with genuine cable and you can play music directly off that with steering wheel controls etc

Just wanted to confirm it is not just for charging :)

Also tried a MOV file on the thumb drive which did not work but if through AUX only that would be correct :)

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
So quite by mistake I came across the veloster forums, which have very similar sat nav units running the same software as the i30 sat nav units..
The units are made by LG and run embedded Windows CE with a nice pretty shell over the top. They have managed to get into the sat nav units running the older software (pre may 2012) but are still working on the newer 'post may' units.

There's video's showing the unit on the windows desk top and running a custom graphic user interface with fully theme able skins including custom wall papers and iPhone themes for the bluetooth on screen phone dialler, and video playback + photo viewing via usb.

So the sat nav units are very capable, but very locked..
When the software becomes available, I'm going to attempt to unlock my unit. I'll post updates :)

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Taken directly from the page I was looking at..
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS:

Q. What is this USB Software and what does it do?

A. This software allows you to install files to your USB stick and insert it into your Veloster USB port. It will launch an alternate touch screen interface that allows you to play back videos, use a different music player, customize the look of the LG/Hyundai shell by adding photos, new graphics and customizing your phone menu to match the phone you have. If you have the donation version you can also re-enable the LG/Hyundai test mode, if it is disabled. The USB software is completely independent of the LG/Hyundai Interface, it runs on top of it. Once you remove the USB stick it is gone. Everything now resides and runs from the stick. The only changes made to the head unit is if you apply the enable test mode fix or install a phone skin. Long story short, using this software is untraceable and installs nothing unless you chose to.

Q. What does the phone skin installer do?

A. If you have one of the phones listed (You can request more) then you can run the phone skin installer from the software and it will customize the dialer screen where you make calls when you phone is connected via Bluetooth. It also customizes the screens to show your phone model and the incoming call screen is now customized based on your phone model. All graphics were custom designed and tested for the phones listed.

TEST MODE QUESTIONS:

Q. What is "Test Mode" and what does it do?

A. Test mode is a service menu on the head unit you access by press and holding "INFO/SETUP" for 5 seconds. It allows you to enter various codes like enabling video over AUX input while driving or entering WindowsCE (The operating system that runs the head unit) If you have a new version of the LG software on your Veloster 5.1.28 or above (Car Manufactured after May 2012) your car has test mode disabled. Test mode is already built into the LG/Hyundai head unit. My software only can enable or disable it and does not modify it in anyway. All codes are LG created for diagnostic purposes.

Q. I have the new version of the LG Software that says "Test Mode is for Service Objectives Only" I cannot enter codes.
A. The full version of the Dezoris UI gives you the ability to re-enabled it if you so desire.

Q. I have downloaded your software and run the enable test mode file, do I need your software anymore?
A. No you don't. you can throw out the USB stick and never use it again, test mode will remain active, unless your dealer applies another update to disable it again.

Q. I have re-enabled test mode on my head unit do I have to re-enter codes ever time the car re-starts or use the USB stick?
A. No you don't, if you entered the enable video test code, it stays active when the car restarts, and you don't need the USB stick for anything else unless you want to use it.

Q. I am confused about the test mode code to enable video, is it tied to your software?
A. No test mode is a stock feature that is being disabled by Hyundai because it allowed us backdoor access to customize the head unit. Using the video code to enable video while driving ONLY applies to the AUX Video Input on the car. It has nothing to do with my software. The USB software is completely independent of the head unit. It can run video and music regardless of test mode.

INSTALLATION STEPS:

Q. How do I install this after I download it?
A. Simply download the file you need on a Windows PC, run the installer. Insert a blank USB stick formatted FAT32. Once complete copy your music to the music folder on the USB stick and your videos to the videos folder.

Q. I just installed the software to the USB stick how do I add music and movies?
A. With the USB stick in the PC copy your movie files to the MOVIES folder and music to the MUSIC folder.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Ross,

That looks very promising ..

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
So quite by mistake I came across the veloster forums, which have very similar sat nav units running the same software as the i30 sat nav units..
The units are made by LG and run embedded Windows CE with a nice pretty shell over the top. They have managed to get into the sat nav units running the older software (pre may 2012) but are still working on the newer 'post may' units.

There's video's showing the unit on the windows desk top and running a custom graphic user interface with fully theme able skins including custom wall papers and iPhone themes for the bluetooth on screen phone dialler, and video playback + photo viewing via usb.

When the software becomes available, I'm going to attempt to unlock my unit. I'll post updates :)

Don't hold me to it but I was told by the dealer (salesman) that the unit in the GD i30 was made by Nokia.

Look forward to your progress on this, very interesting 👍

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Seems you can buy the software HERE if you wanna give it a try on the i30's unit.... :undecided:

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Seems you can buy the software HERE if you wanna give it a try on the i30's unit.... :undecided:

Yeah, I saw that. :) ill have to give it a try. So far, I've managed to get the nav unit into test mode. If you press and hold the settings button it'll pop up with a detailed description of software, firmware, navigation versions etc.
Once you're on that screen, if you press the center of the screen, just below the right side of the hyundainav URL and you hold for ten seconds it'll put it into test mode. If you enter the code 123456 a whole lot of stuff detailing the nav unit will pop up.

There's lots more service codes you can enter that all do different things, like enabling and disabling features. :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds like we are starting to get somewhere.. :happydance:

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So.. I managed to get into windows.. Check it out!!  :happydance:

Damn, another one to get tinted  :snigger:

Offline Robbo123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Elite
So it looks like we can get turn by turn happening! Apparently it just requires a few extra audio files, but it if definitely compatible withy he IGO software. Maybe I'm getting too far ahead of myself.. But this is promising!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Congratulations.  :goodjob2:
But you are treading where I would fear to tread.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline jimmy_s

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
So.. I managed to get into windows.. Check it out!!  :happydance:

Great news, care to share how?

Download this wee file...
http://www.packupload.com/3G37NGUY4K9

Pop it on a USB formatted in fat32. I'd probably delete the navi files from it though. pop it in the usb port in your car and it should boot straight past the factory interface into windows. Have fun :)

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Check this out! It works it works!! :happydance:
This is only the trial (beta) version of the software. The proper version will be released soon. You can download it for free from the link below..

http://www.veloster.org/forum/35-hyundai-veloster-audio-electronics/8816-ela-usb-beta-download-euro-aus-ger-ru.html

Here's a quick video I took tonight just for you lot!  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Interesting thanks Ross :goodjob: (we were trying to fix it at the same time) :-[ :rofl:

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!

Out of curiosity, how did the RCA to 3.5mm cable go?

My car has a build date of 01/09/2012, so I will be curious to see what I can do with the display/system.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Out of curiosity, how did the RCA to 3.5mm cable go?

My car has a build date of 01/09/2012, so I will be curious to see what I can do with the display/system.

I couldn't get it to work orthough it said you could do it in the book..?

ouri30
I have a feeling that there is a special cable (Aux to RCA - Yellow, Red, Black) that is available for the Veloster.  Then you can connect any video device that has these RCA connectors or get an adapter from your device to RCA.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal