i30 Owners Club

Water crossing

Offline emacmark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville
Hey guys,

On my trip up to Townsville from Hobart (3200kms) i had to cross a few spillways in central QLD.

As there were quite shallow, less than 5cm of water in most cases i didn't slow down much and hit them at about 80km/h.

I previously owned a subaru forester and never experienced any problems. So after my second crossing in my new i30, i came to a quick stop when a terrible grinding sound came from the front LH wheel area.

I stopped got out and inspected it to find that the internal black plastic wheel well cover had been blown forward by water pressure and was now being torn to bits by the wheel.

It was easy to remedy, i just pushed it back into shape by hand, but it is now full of holes and i will be replacing it ($55 from local hyundai dealer) as soon as I can.

So i learned to take water crossings much slower than I normally would.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Dam that sounds like tough luck. Thanks for the brief  :'(
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hey guys,

On my trip up to Townsville from Hobart (3200kms) i had to cross a few spillways in central QLD.

As there were quite shallow, less than 5cm of water in most cases i didn't slow down much and hit them at about 80km/h.

I previously owned a subaru forester and never experienced any problems. So after my second crossing in my new i30, i came to a quick stop when a terrible grinding sound came from the front LH wheel area.

I stopped got out and inspected it to find that the internal black plastic wheel well cover had been blown forward by water pressure and was now being torn to bits by the wheel.

It was easy to remedy, i just pushed it back into shape by hand, but it is now full of holes and i will be replacing it ($55 from local hyundai dealer) as soon as I can.

So i learned to take water crossings much slower than I normally would.

That sounds like good advice!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hey guys,

On my trip up to Townsville from Hobart (3200kms)

Maybe it was Karma for abandoning the apple isle... :wink:

Hope you enjoy your new home (but I get a bit sad when people relocate to other states) :'(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal