i30 Owners Club

The official whats your weather like now? Thread (part 4)

Doggie 1 · 959 · 225519

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Thanks for that Nep!

weather has been all over the place here today but its sunny just windy, i road my pushy up the coast to visit a friend and while there it started to rain then it stopped as quick as it started  & no more rain since temps as high as 28c but with the wind blowing off ocean it don't feel that warm.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 :disapp: Lester asked Dazz for some Rain a few day's back as at the time we needed some.
well thank's Dazz & Lester  :) we have rain, I liked it dry as I could ride every day , but it greens the grass brings the flowers out.
cheers

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Down here on the South Coast we copped 130 mm of rain from last Monday morning to Tuesday morning.  The golf course was closed, first time in 10 years.   :fum: :(
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Down here on the South Coast we copped 130 mm of rain from last Monday morning to Tuesday morning.  The golf course was closed, first time in 10 years.   :fum: :(
Had a bit of rain since back from WA but some nice 20 degree days too (including today)  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Had a bit of rain since back from WA but some nice 20 degree days too (including today)  :happydance:

missed a nice 33 deg day........

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Mid November and still no frost at nights and 5-10 ºC during the day. Wonderfull.. :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

missed a nice 33 deg day........

Had a 33 and a 36 while we were over there John, but I enjoyed the other days in the mid 20's better  :goodjob: We were lucky with the weather on our trip  :happydance:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline ozzieoz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      south coast nsw
its beautiful english summer weather here ,  raining the only difference our rain is warm not freezing cold
  • 2009i30,2013 ix35 highlander

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If you want rain we have enough here to go around.

Send p&p and i'll oblige.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thank's eye, I'm in Sydney,was beautiful yesturday 30's ( needed air cond in car on ) was sunny too. But you managed to do it  eye today it's raining & dismal  :rofl:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
15c and raining.  :fum:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Had  some Mothers of storms down here the last week or so, November/December is Storm Season on East Coast.  Well a storm stopped the cricket today in Brisvegas, 2 wickets to go to win the first test. :victory:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Had  some Mothers of storms down here the last week or so, November/December is Storm Season on East Coast.  Well a storm stopped the cricket today in Brisvegas, 2 wickets to go to win the first test. :victory:

We won apparently  :goodjob:

We don't get storms much, but we had a good one yesterday (if you can use that word for a storm!)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Left my daughter in Darwin for her new job which she started last Monday. Now Darwin's in line for it's first cyclone of the season.
Fortunately it looks like it'll make landfall a bit south of the city, but she has had planty of rain this afternoon.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
raining here , south coast NSW, & was raining in Sydney when i was up there last week.
i think both places need the rain or they did.
the way it was raining in sydney this past friday, i thought it could flood in some places. a lot of rain came down in a short time.
so is it the Spainish boy again? ( El Nino? )

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Early in this morning it was -27°C when driving into work.  :cold: It was a bit rough ride because the engine mount rubbers, shock absorbers, tyres and many other things get very stiff in such temperatures. Now it's rapidly warming, only -12 and snowing at this moment.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
7am here South Coast NSW 20c & sunny , i'm having breakfast then i'll check the tide's get my kayak out & fishing rod & see what i can catch. but if tides wrong i'll leave it as i don't want to paddle against the tide.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Early in this morning it was -27°C when driving into work.  :cold: It was a bit rough ride because the engine mount rubbers, shock absorbers, tyres and many other things get very stiff in such temperatures. Now it's rapidly warming, only -12 and snowing at this moment.

Wow, I never though of that happening!

7am here South Coast NSW 20c & sunny , i'm having breakfast then i'll check the tide's get my kayak out & fishing rod & see what i can catch. but if tides wrong i'll leave it as i don't want to paddle against the tide.

:goodjob: The joys of a global forum  :happydance:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dazz a guy i knew road a motor bike in a guided tour from Alaska to the bottom of south America, started in Summer in northern hem , finished in summer in southern hem.

yes what to his mentioned about rubber going stiff in freezing conditions, i'd never thought of that, & that would effect tyre traction too . i'm sure the water would be hard on top too  :rofl:
cheers
to his does the motor vibrate more when engine mounts rubber goes hard?

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Propably also one of the reasons why the wintertyres are made of a softer compound.  :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It was quite common in the days of cross ply tyres for drivers to experience a thumping for the first few miles on a cold morning - even around 10° C as the casing would "set" overnight and take a while to warm up.
Less common with radial tyres due to the flex pattern of the radial construction.
In recent years the issue has reared its head again with the proliferation of cheap imported cross ply truck tyres from China and India, so I suspect the quality of the rubber may also gave something to do with it.

However, if you think about it, watch racing cars weaving from side to side on "warm-up" laps to get their tyres up to a good operating temperature. And on cold days, they have more problems with grip.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
to his does the motor vibrate more when engine mounts rubber goes hard?

Yes, it was vibrating significantly more than usual, especially at idle. Anyone who has been in 1980s VW Golf diesel, knows exactly what I mean..  :lol:

There are many other things which could cause problems in severe cold. The engine block pre-heater is highly recommended. Without using it the engine may be hard to start, or it may not start at all. When starting an unheated engine at -25 or colder, the engine oil is quite thick stuff and makes the oil pressure rise very high, which may pop out the crankshaft end seal or even break the oil filter, causing massive oil leak. Of course in most times it doesn't happen, but still the garages have busy times when the weather is very cold.

Also the crankcase breather pipe may freeze if you are driving lots of short trips in moist conditions. Clogged pipe raises the crankcase pressure dramatically, and may also pop out either the crankshaft end seal or the oil disptick, again causing engine oil to burst out. Especially French cars have been prone to breather freezing because of poorly designed pipe (bends where condensating water stays and can't drip out).
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
poorly designed pipe (bends where condensating water stays and can't drip out).

I had a Morris Marina many moons ago and the pipe was at the front of the engine.

I had to take it off every other month to clean out of the solidified oil.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the explanation tohis (very enlightening) :cool:

It is another world that us Aussies don't normally see....  :scared:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Interesting Tohis, i think on a motorbike in that weather my bladder would shrink, & i'd need to stop for a leak a lot ( like Dazz at night )  :lol: :) .
well roc sunny again, yesterday i did not take kayak out as tide was going out, did not fancy paddling against it as i'm still learning to paddle ( easy but need to learn technique )
so as i have a new fridge being delivered today, i road my motor bike up to Batemans Bay to check on expected delivery time. was a great ride up bike ran sweet & more exciting to ride on MC than drive the i30 ( not much difference in economy ) it was beautiful weather to ride in too.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whistler: :rofl:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Sorry Dazz, hey i used to get up a lot to use loo at night too, but seem to have solved the problem now.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal