i30 Owners Club

The official whats your weather like now? Thread (part 4)

Doggie 1 · 959 · 225399

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The weather map shows lightning in that area, probably responsible for lighting it. :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Arson Squad have been out there and preliminary indications are it was caused by a power pole.
Unfortunately, the pole was located inside someone's property boundary and we have this stupid law over here that makes the property owner responsible for maintaining the pole if it is inside the boundary, so I wouldn't like to be in their shoes.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You're joking  :Shocked:

So if you hook a ladder to the pole and touch the wires while sawing vegetation away and die, that's ok is it.  :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum:

How can you insure against this particular liability. :disapp:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

We've had this nonsense before with a property owner in Toodyay.
Western Power say it isn't their responsibility to maintain poles on private property so that any catastrophe caused like this falls back on some poor individual instead of them.
Lunacy.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
But the property owner doesn't own the pole. If a fire starts from arcing between the wires, the owner can not maintain the safety of that function, it needs specialized equipment and training.

That law is absolute c***, needs repealing and replacing with something sane.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Just come back from the local PO,had to see what it got to today(as I did not believe my eyes when I read our weather station) It was stinking hot yesterday, 44.2c it got to,so I didn't bath the dog which is having pups shortly,thought I would do it today,as it was supposed to be cooler,well when I checked our weather station,it told me it had gotten to 45.4c had to go up the PO and check,their reported temp was 45.2C so my weather station is not that far out,BUT THIS BLOODY WEATHER IS.

And the variation of the weather reporting over here is just criminal,between weather sites,TV news channels,you never know who to believe
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
And the variation of the weather reporting over here is just criminal,between weather sites,TV news channels,you never know who to believe

Same here too... :fum:

They are saying it got to 21 in Devonport yesterday we live less than 10KM from the airport and both our outside gauges were saying 27+ at 4.30pm (when we got home) and our car was saying similar too..

Up other 30 when we were in Launceston earlier in the day (which is warm for Tassie.)

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
4.30am here (early riser ) my weather station say's 20c outside 25c inside
i don't know how accurate my weather station is, but the car's outside temp always seems suspect to me.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

They are saying it got to 21 in Devonport yesterday we live less than 10KM from the airport and both our outside gauges were saying 27+ at 4.30pm (when we got home) and our car was saying similar too..

Up other 30 when we were in Launceston earlier in the day (which is warm for Tassie.)

You don't have to be too far removed from a weather station to get different readings.  IIRC Devonport airport is coastal, so will have the coastal influence.  You only have to be a couple of km inland from that to have a totally different temperature/humidity/wind.

Remember also that the weather stations are regularly calibrated to ensure their accuracy.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You don't have to be too far removed from a weather station to get different readings.  IIRC Devonport airport is coastal, so will have the coastal influence.  You only have to be a couple of km inland from that to have a totally different temperature/humidity/wind.

Remember also that the weather stations are regularly calibrated to ensure their accuracy.

True, but using the gauges at the airport gives a completely wrong idea of Devonport weather... It can be stinking hot in the CBD and they reckon we got high teens..  :undecided:

Bit the same with the rainfall too.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Agree totally, Dazz.  I only mentioned it to people to get them to think about the location where the weather station is.  As you pointed out, the Devonport Airport is a long way from Devonport proper, therefore will have different weather.  Some weather websites will mention the location (i.e. there are weather stations in Hobart and Hobart Airport).

:goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They call it Devonport Ap in the weather observations but not in the forecast  :victory:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
AFAIC, the weather is what it is, where you are at the time. Reporting from a fixed location can only be an indication at the best of times. I find it interesting that weather stations using wet & dry thermometers are located in white vented enclosures in full sun.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=weather+station+pics&rlz=1C1NOOH_enAU496AU496&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=9A7TUsDwLuWWiQfSnYGoAw&ved=0CEgQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=680

As convenient as they are, I prefer the old type thermometers to these digital things. How do you know if they're accurate. The same with sphygmometers too.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah Phil, I get your drift but the difference between low 20's and high 20's is huge.. We get closer to Sheffield temps and rainfall than the airport readings even though Sheffield is much further away!  :confused:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
The same with sphygmometers too.

It was all going along nicely, until Phil started calling people nasty names.   :P

The digital thermometers are calibrated, like the old types are.  The reason why the weather station are in a white, ventilated box in direct sunlight is so that they are all reading the same information.  The dry temperature that reads in that box is the "shade" temperature.  There are no external influences.  There will also be rules about how far from obstructions, etc the box is to be.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The thing I hate about hot weather is the continuous disagreement about air conditioning. In normal weather the house is ventilated and can often get to 25 inside, T shirt temps and quite comfy for all.

But if it's 37 Deg+ the female mindset is AC on and we must go to 18 Deg C because it HOT outside. It has to stay on after dark too.  :faint:

We have a week of argument hot weather coming.  :fum:

Still, we have comprimised, I set the control to 24 Deg.  :lol:

Offline KylieR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bendigo, Victoria
    • MyWinterStorm83
Its 39 here, and on Tuesday begins a three day heatwave where temps will be at least 40 degrees.  :scared:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

As expected when Trish back back from Katherine the "heater" came back on - mind you it is set to 18C and seems to keep the house at about 20C (when set at 18) which is comfortable...

Obviously been off the last few days since things started to heat up down here.  :goodjob:

I had it off for about 8 of the 10 days Trish was away (the heater pump/air con, I'm talking about!)  :evil:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Generally speaking I find that the variation between my place and the local (?) airport _Maroochdore is abou50klms north  :undecided: - is consistent, so that's all I use the stated temps for.
And my car's outside temp tends to read about one or two degrees hotter than reality, but again it's consistent.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
When it hits 30C in my house, which is rated 5 star insulation, then I hit the A/C.

It is a rare day if  I have to turn on my house A/C.

Most summer days we get a nice north east cooling breeze, Gods A/C. :cool:

Today a pleasant 27C outside and 25 inside, lubberly jubberly. :happydance:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
37.4 outside, wife's out, so no AC yet.  :lol:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I'm happy for a few days now,we have sent our weather over east,you'll know what hot is in the next couple of days  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
NSW Far South Coast, around 32C, light NE Breeze.  Bearable. :cool:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
39.5 Deg C, Outside  25 Deg C inside.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

36C in our back sunroom at 6pm tonight with both ceiling fans going! (we have relocated our pigmy possum's house to the open balcony) :goodjob: 

Got to 30 here today even though only around 25 at airport!

About 25 inside using fans to move the air around rather than air con. :victory:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I move my own air around.  :)
Much more coolerer here today.
  • Tertius the i30

ouri30
The last two days here have been gruelling weather wise.

Maximum: Yesterday 46.9  Today 46.6

Tomorrow's forecast maximum is 47 and Friday is 44.  Thankfully Saturday is forecast as 30.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The last two days here have been gruelling weather wise.

Maximum: Yesterday 46.9  Today 46.6

Tomorrow's forecast maximum is 47 and Friday is 44.  Thankfully Saturday is forecast as 30.

Rather you than me Bob!  :sweating: :disapp:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
For here, if that was f rather than c it would be an ok temp.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal