i30 Owners Club

2012 Accent...yes or no?

Pip
Well, I for one love the art of changing gears. Whilst I acknowledge the great power and torque of the diesel, I'll stick with petrol for the same reason I stick with a manual shift.
Hey, I agree with that too but the diesel is two faced. Just chugs along when feeling my age but responds to a little revving and gear-changing as well when I'm on my own. :whistler:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
But so does petrol nowadays, you won't get your diesel to chug along in 30mph in 6th gear pulling less than 1500rpm, I can do that quite happily in the i40, yet when I want to I can push the 135 bhp hard and have a more spirited drive.  For sure towing would be another game and for that the diesel is probably better suited, but for everyday use it would be down to personal preference and circumstance.

It is about the the money, why pay more for a less specced diesel when you can get additional specification in the petrol model and in actual fact your ongoing running costs are going to be much the same if not less when you include additional purchase cost, service costs and the disparity between petrol and diesel pricing.  For some that is a legitimate question and I am happy to put myself in that group, the suggestion that I have to scream about everywhere at 4000 rpm is ludicrous, the i40 is happy to change into the next gear at 2000 rpm also, yes even going up hills!!
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
@bumpkin  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I just love the way the diesel auto shifts into top gear uphill, cold motor on the freeway and stays there uphill or not.   :goodjob2:
+ " the i40 is happy to change into the next gear at 2000 rpm also, yes even going up hills!!" =  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Pip
It is about the the money...

You like the petrol for all the reasons (other than money) you said and I like diesel for all the reasons I said.

It's not always about the money. I was more than happy to pay more for the diesel and in fact had there been no diesel option I might have bought a different brand and possibly German car.  :Shocked:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The way I see it, the little diesel punches well above it's weight while, in comparison the petrol engine is fairly mediocre..... :whistler:

That's not to say you still can't have fun driving the petrol, I just know what I'd rather drive.... :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It all comes down to mileage with regards to petrol or diesel, in the UK unless you are doing more than 12000 miles per year (so about 20,000K) then diesel is less attractive.

Why - I hear you ask?

Well, the difference in purchase cost and service cost means that less than that mileage takes over 5 years to get the money back, the less miles you do the longer it takes to start recouping the money.

Another reason is that short journeys are really not that suited to diesel, particularly if the car has a DPF, as regeneration will occur more often and thus any perceived fuel saving is also lessened.

I have only ever had petrol cars and I have been tempted by diesel until I have sat myself down and done the sums....

I don't know how it works over there, but here in Oz there is a significant addition to resale value of the diesel cars, which should be factored into any calculation. Once this adjustment is done, the financial case becomes more compelling.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Rockhampton Queensland Australia
I have just down sized from a Holden Crewman 3.8L auto which would get at best 10L/100Km with cruise control set at 100Km/Hr on the highway and about 14L/100Km combined. I have just used my first tank of fuel in my 6 speed manual CRDi i30 and got a combined figure of 5.3L/100Km with cruise control set at 110Km/Hr on highway and generally being in one gear higher around town that the dash advised me to be in so as not to labour the engine while running in. Thats great economy from a new diesel engine a better car to drive and more go than the crewman I couldnt be happier.
  • 2012 Hyper Silver i30 Elite 1.6 CRDi 6 Speed Manual

Offline THE i30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Rockhampton Queensland Australia
Sorry I should have said one gear lower usually 4th gear at 60Km/Hr
  • 2012 Hyper Silver i30 Elite 1.6 CRDi 6 Speed Manual

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
And the best thing of all.....your not in a Crewman.

What an example of a good idea poorly executed....

Glad you like the new I30. Enjoy the savings!
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
And the best thing of all.....your not in a Crewman.

What an example of a good idea poorly executed....

Glad you like the new I30. Enjoy the savings!

:whsaid:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal