i30 Owners Club

2012 Accent...yes or no?

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
I have almost clocked up 112,000km in my diesel i30 (purchased in Dec 2008) and I'm loving the look of the new Accent, as I don't love the look of the new i30 (I'm very picky as to how the speedo and all that are...don't like how they "pop out".

I have just under $5000 finance left on my car (financed $17,000 as dad gave me $10,000).

Should I change car, not sure if I should stick to diesel, as previously I was driving long distances 5 days a week (daily 160km) , but have now reduced that to 2 days a week.  I very rarely drive LOOOOONG distances to justify diesel.

Dad seems to think that I was 'ripped off' in the first place for the SLX model at $27,000 (less my trade in for my 2001 Nissan Pulsar of approximately $4,000).

Dad seems to think it may be better to change the engine from diesel to petrol, but I don't think it would be worth it.

Your thoughts?
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's a tough one Pik',

I guess it depends on whether the 2 longish trips per week outweigh your new driving schedule. I would miss the diesel torque if I went back to petrol, but then there are others here who love petrol too.

+ petrol is sometimes discounted
- diesel is not
+ diesel goes further per litre
+ water in petrol is easily dealt with
- diesel is more expensive to service
+ diesel engines last longer
- diesels are dearer to purchase. (If you're using finance, it will considerably add to the overall expense, due to interest.)

So in the end  :Dunno:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

When I purchased, I did so for:

1. Long distance driving
2. Diesel was cheaper than petrol

Now diesel is at least 10-15 cents dearer than petrol.

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Here in my place, generally, diesel owners seldom go back to petrol again. :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think a little petrol accent might be the way to go in your current circumstances.. Get best offer on both and drive both then go with what you are most comfortable with  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I don't see why your Dad thinks you were ripped off at the SLX price, nor on the trade in. I reckon the SLX is good value for money and $4000 seems like a pretty reasonable price as a trade on that car.

In the last year, my sister in law and daughter have both bought Accents (Hatch) at my suggestion.

Both are very happy with them and I've driven my daughter's car for some distance.

I don't think you can go wrong but I would suggest you go with a manual.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

I'd have to go auto for my father's sake, as manual is a bit hard for him (despite driving manuals in the past, for old age auto will be easier).

I might go test drive out of curiosity.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That sounds like a good idea - you won't know until you drive both.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hyundai is the only brand to put an auto in a small diesel hatch at that price aren't they?

I've heard of autos being put under stress by the torque diesels make, but I suppose that would only occur if you thrashed it heaps

I was in fact tempted by a diesel Accent when I was looking at my i30.  I didn't test drive one but they look like great little cars.  A much more pleasant alternative to a Ford Fiesta diesel for example

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Same diesel as what's in the i30 so should have even more get up and go with the lighter weight.... :)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Personally I would keep it for at least another year (warranty dies in 2013).

If you want a new car and are going to finance the purchase, the Kia Rio at 0.9% finance would be well worth a look.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Two questions you need to ask yourself is:

What do I need the car for?

and once you have answered that question:

How much can I afford to pay?

Unless the car is showing signs of mechanical/body issues sometimes doing nothing is the best option but to always keep your options open just in case a good deal appears later.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

I am just short of 112,000km  :Shocked:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I am just short of 112,000km  :Shocked:

That is not much for a modern car (particularly a diesel)  :cool:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I agree, but sometimes it is just "time" for a change.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I agree, but sometimes it is just "time" for a change.  :D

and I can't talk  :whistler: (Think I only ever did more than 116K in one of my cars before selling it )  :-[

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

The only negative is that only the base model Active is available as diesel, not Elite or Premium :(

I like the features of the Elite model.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I agree but have a look at what you can upgrade.
The 14" wheels would be first on my list plus I don't think the centre console would be difficult to do either.
Other stuff would be do-able too.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
It all comes down to mileage with regards to petrol or diesel, in the UK unless you are doing more than 12000 miles per year (so about 20,000K) then diesel is less attractive.

Why - I hear you ask?

Well, the difference in purchase cost and service cost means that less than that mileage takes over 5 years to get the money back, the less miles you do the longer it takes to start recouping the money.

Another reason is that short journeys are really not that suited to diesel, particularly if the car has a DPF, as regeneration will occur more often and thus any perceived fuel saving is also lessened.

I have only ever had petrol cars and I have been tempted by diesel until I have sat myself down and done the sums....
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Pip
It all comes down to mileage with regards to petrol or diesel, in the UK unless you are doing more than 12000 miles per year (so about 20,000K) then diesel is less attractive.

Why - I hear you ask?

Well, the difference in purchase cost and service cost means that less than that mileage takes over 5 years to get the money back, the less miles you do the longer it takes to start recouping the money.

Another reason is that short journeys are really not that suited to diesel, particularly if the car has a DPF, as regeneration will occur more often and thus any perceived fuel saving is also lessened.

I have only ever had petrol cars and I have been tempted by diesel until I have sat myself down and done the sums....
It might make financial sense to choose a petrol engine but you will miss out on the driving pleasure you get from the diesel. If money was so important you could just buy a cheaper car in the first place (my wife's Getz was cheap and was bought for this reason). If you don't buy a cheaper car can I assume the driving enjoyment is important too? If so, you would do yourself a disservice by just counting the money when you choose the engine.

Honestly, a diesel engine is not just cheaper fuel costs, it's a whole 'nother car. :confused:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Having had both diesel and petrol over the last 4 years I can agree that diesel makes for a fun drive, I'd had my previous diesel car re-mapped and enjoyed 196Bhp with 240 ft lbs of torque. In a small car that made for huge fun!

Downsides were engine weight, tyre wear, engine noise, smoke, high diesel fuel cost, DPF / EGR, glow-plug heaters & turbo concerns.

Now I have the petrol i30 I have got rid of all those downsides but I dont have the grunt.

Good trade off IMO, and all because my role at work changed and my annual mileage dropped from 20k / year to 10k / year.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Having had both diesel and petrol over the last 4 years I can agree that diesel makes for a fun drive,

Now I have the petrol i30 I have got rid of all those downsides but I dont have the grunt.

.....and all because my role at work changed and my annual mileage dropped from 20k / year to 10k / year.

I agree with all the above comments.

Like you Ffoxy I had a diesel and "downsized" to a petrol.

I like the petrol but I do miss the extra "umph" from the diesel, especially when I'm on the motorway.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Pip, are you suggesting that those of us with petrol cars are depriving ourselves of driving pleasure?

I hope not, I love driving and everything motor related and look forward to driving my petrol i40 at every opportunity!
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
its strange to keep reading that diesel i30 are so torque and people miss them. With my Trophy , I have had many a drag with the diesel counterparts and have never lost. Standing starts, rolling starts, top end speed ....the diesel have never had a look in.....but I bet the diesel have a way better fuel economy over distance than I have.....I can't remember if someone on here has an auto diesel and only does short trips and how far can they get with a tank of fuel..love to know because I want to update my i30....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

its strange to keep reading that diesel i30 are so torque and people miss them. With my Trophy , I have had many a drag with the diesel counterparts and have never lost. Standing starts, rolling starts, top end speed ....the diesel have never had a look in.....but I bet the diesel have a way better fuel economy over distance than I have.....I can't remember if someone on here has an auto diesel and only does short trips and how far can they get with a tank of fuel..love to know because I want to update my i30....

:snigger: I doubt you would win up a long steep hill though  :whistler: (Unless you had a hybrid  :evil:)

I think the diesel auto would get about 800 kms out of a brimmed tank in those circumstances (on average) from what owners on here have said in the past .. one or two have got 1000 but not doing short trips  :undecided:

Pip
Pip, are you suggesting that those of us with petrol cars are depriving ourselves of driving pleasure?

Well yes I was.  :sweating:

It all depends on whether you like driving around at 4000 revs or 2000 for the same effect. Both petrol and diesel engines deliver similar power but one is all revs and gears while the other is just an effortless chug. Each to their own but I just love the way the diesel goes on the road and I'm saying so. :happydance:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

It all depends on whether you like driving around at 4000 revs or 2000 for the same effect. Both petrol and diesel engines deliver similar power but one is all revs and gears while the other is just an effortless chug. Each to their own but I just love the way the diesel goes on the road and I'm saying so. :happydance:

:whsaid:

I just love the way the diesel auto shifts into top gear uphill, cold motor on the freeway and stays there uphill or not.   :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
:snigger: I doubt you would win up a long steep hill though  :whistler: (Unless you had a hybrid  :evil:)

I just love the way the diesel auto shifts into top gear uphill, cold motor on the freeway and stays there uphill or not.   :goodjob2:

Gotta agree with all of the above.....  :whistler:
And, I might just add....hook up a trailer and then compare the performance of the diesel against the petrol..... :happydance:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Well, I for one love the art of changing gears. Whilst I acknowledge the great power and torque of the diesel, I'll stick with petrol for the same reason I stick with a manual shift.

It's more fun,  IMHO.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal