Bikers get a weave pass - OK to ride between lanes

Guest · 15 · 4127

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Rosemarie Lentini From: The Daily Telegraph
October 19

MOTORCYCLISTS will be allowed to weave around cars banked up at traffic lights in parts of the city under a bold new plan.

..Roads Minister Duncan Gay yesterday announced the three-month trial to test if motorbike lane filtering - currently illegal - improves traffic flow and eases congestion.

Lane filtering refers to the practice in which motorcyclists ride between gaps in stalled or slow-moving lines of traffic.

The initiative, which kicks off on February 1, follows intense lobbying by motorcycle groups, who say filtering is common practice in major international cities.

"Lane filtering is currently against the law, however, there will be an exemption for motorcyclists in this part of the CBD which will permit them to filter through traffic when vehicles are stopped at traffic lights," Mr Gay said.

"The NSW Police CBD Motorcycle Response Team, recently funded by Transport for NSW, will also be policing the intersections to ensure road rules are still being adhered to. This trial is not about favouring one road user group over another, it is a system which could benefit all motorists in the CBD.

"It needs to be tested to ensure it improves traffic flow while not jeopardising road safety."

Lane filtering will be confined to the zones bordered by Sussex and Market Sts, St James Rd, Macquarie and Alfred Sts and Hickson Rd.

Traffic and Highway Patrol Command operations commander Superintendent Stuart Smith said that police were seeking options to improve Sydney's traffic flow while protecting motorists and pedestrians.

"(Police are) committed to improving traffic flow in the Sydney CBD and we are working closely with Transport for NSW on this innovative trial," he said. "However, the safety of all motorists and pedestrians remains our number one priority."

NRMA spokesman Peter Khoury said the motoring authority would support proposals that benefit all road users.

"The NRMA will look at any proposal that aims to improve traffic flow for all road users," he said.

"We are keen to see the results at the end of the trial."

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
NOTE: In spite of what it says in the article, lane splitting is not illegal..... :whistler:

Offline rstnick

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Southern Ontario
I think it's a great idea.
Not allowed to do it here in Ontario Canada.
I have occasionally.
Just have to watch out for the occasional cage driver who's jealous and tries to cut you off.
Those people should be fined and lose points on their drivers licence for purposely cutting someone off.
 :mad:
  • 2012 Touring

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
NOTE: In spite of what it says in the article, lane splitting is not illegal..... :whistler:
So why ar the pollies, police and NRMA not pointing that out. It seems to me it is in NSW by reading that. And certainly in my time there it was considered so.
I'd be interested to hear Lake's view on it.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Personally, not a fan of that idea at all.  :fum:

When I drive I create a mental picture of who's on my 6, I would like them to stay where they are. Can't say I'm keen on seeing a bike on my 6 then having it on my 3 etc.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
So why ar the pollies, police and NRMA not pointing that out. It seems to me it is in NSW by reading that. And certainly in my time there it was considered so.
I'd be interested to hear Lake's view on it.

Guess it's ignorance...and wishful thinking by some, Trev..... :confused:

You can read the Road Rules for any State in Australia and you won't find a rule specifically saying that lane splitting is actually illegal.

Some years back the The National Transport Commission (NTC) tried to introduce an amendment (151A) to the Australian Road Rules making lane splitting illegal, but this was eventually withdrawn.

Just have to watch out for the occasional cage driver who's jealous and tries to cut you off.
Those people should be fined and lose points on their drivers licence for purposely cutting someone off.
 :mad:

I agree..... :goodjob:
This seems to be one of the biggest issues with lane splitting, some car drivers hate to see a motorcyclist getting ahead of them in bumper to bumper traffic and will purposely try to block them.  :mad:

Personally, not a fan of that idea at all.  :fum:

When I drive I create a mental picture of who's on my 6, I would like them to stay where they are. Can't say I'm keen on seeing a bike on my 6 then having it on my 3 etc.  :fum:

You need to change your thinking, Phil...in fact you SHOULD already be watching out for motorcyclists lane splitting.... :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@Rusty, I was just expressing an opinion, I haven't killed or injured any motorcyclists yet & having ridden and enjoyed a variety of MC's in the past, I understand the dangers from both cars & MC's too. I won't be changing my thinking.  :neutral:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
There doesn't have to be a specific law. I'm sure it's covered under whatever refers to dangerous driving.
IMO, allowing a few bikes through will make no difference to traffic snarls in the Sydney CBD.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
@Rusty, I was just expressing an opinion, I haven't killed or injured any motorcyclists yet & having ridden and enjoyed a variety of MC's in the past, I understand the dangers from both cars & MC's too. I won't be changing my thinking.  :neutral:

As was I, Phil.... :whistler:
But, I did think it was prudent to point out that even if you don't like or agree with it, you still need to be watching out for them.
Many drivers stick their head in the sand when it comes to this sort of thing, especially when they get misinformed by news articles such as this... :whistler:

And Trev, I'm well aware there are other rules that apply if lane splitting is not done correctly but, the issue here is that they state that "lane splitting" is illegal.....  :whistler:
As to whether it will make much difference in Sydney? It will probably be hard to know as many motorcyclists already lane split....

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Would argue that it is...

From Queensland Transport Operations -( Road Use Management - Road Rules) Reg 2009.
S 144 Keeping a safe distance when overtaking

A driver overtaking a vehicle—

(a) must pass the vehicle at a sufficient distance to avoid a
collision with the vehicle or obstructing the path of the
vehicle; and
(b) must not return to the marked lane or line of traffic
where the vehicle is travelling until the driver is a
sufficient distance past the vehicle to avoid a collision
with the vehicle or obstructing the path of the vehicle.

That you cannot return to the lane in which the vehicle is travelling  until you are a sufficient distance past the car implies that you must first leave the lane. If you cannot leave the lane (ie because of the solid white line on the fog line, or the cars in the next lane (which you must also give way to), you cannot overtake.

There are many more which could also apply to the situation (for example crossing the solid white line on the edge of the road) but I think that one is the best example.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I don't think it will make much difference to traffic flow because most riders already do it anyway.
In W.A. lane splitting itself is not illegal unless the bike crosses the solid white line on approach to the intersection.
Providing he stays within his lane (if he has room) then it is legal (but not recommended).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Would argue that it is...

From Queensland Transport Operations -( Road Use Management - Road Rules) Reg 2009.
S 144 Keeping a safe distance when overtaking

A driver overtaking a vehicle—

(a) must pass the vehicle at a sufficient distance to avoid a
collision with the vehicle or obstructing the path of the
vehicle; and
(b) must not return to the marked lane or line of traffic
where the vehicle is travelling until the driver is a
sufficient distance past the vehicle to avoid a collision
with the vehicle or obstructing the path of the vehicle.

That you cannot return to the lane in which the vehicle is travelling  until you are a sufficient distance past the car implies that you must first leave the lane. If you cannot leave the lane (ie because of the solid white line on the fog line, or the cars in the next lane (which you must also give way to), you cannot overtake.

There are many more which could also apply to the situation (for example crossing the solid white line on the edge of the road) but I think that one is the best example.

Feel free to argue, Beerman!  :D

While there are a number of other rules that you CAN break while lane splitting, lane splitting itself isn't illegal.....

Do you honestly think the NTC would have attempted to introduce rule 151A, which was to make it a requirement for motorcycle riders to move into an adjacent lane or line of traffic when overtaking if it was already illegal?  :whistler:

As for that law you've quoted, can you tell me what distance is classed as sufficient distance?
The way I read it, I'd say that if there is no collision, then that suggests there was sufficient clearance.... :lol:

In W.A. lane splitting itself is not illegal unless the bike crosses the solid white line on approach to the intersection.
Providing he stays within his lane (if he has room) then it is legal (but not recommended).

Is there a reason it's not recommended, Dave or is that your own personal view?  :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Personally, I don't care one way or the other providing it is done sensibly and safely.
A few riders try to fit where they shouldn't be going but the majority do it safely.
The issue comes when they try to get all the way to the front and cross the unbroken line and of course they then commit an offence.
No, I meant it's not recommended by the authorities.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Keep us posted on the outcome Rusty  :goodjob2:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
No, I meant it's not recommended by the authorities.

Seems nothing motorcycle related is recommended by OUR authorities.... :fum:

Keep us posted on the outcome Rusty  :goodjob2:

I'll try.... :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal