i30 Owners Club

e10 ethenol problem

Dave · 7 · 3616

Offline Dave

• 2nd Gear
 :eek:  A friend who just a few of weeks ago took delivery of  a 2008 Elantra, which I understand has the same 2 litre engine, as our i30 has had a recall.
           This is to replace components in the fuel pump which would deteriorate, with ethanol blended fuel!
            As ethanol blends have been around for some time, it is surprising that only now Hyundai are to incorporate ethanol suitable components?
            Of course the question is, will the i30's be recalled for the same fix?
             Has anyone else had a recall      regards from Dave

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Dave,
I heard about the Elantra recall but i Don't know if it will extend to i30 as yet.
It wont effect me owning a petrol, but its a fair chance it could effect petrol owners :evil:

Offline nizzkid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Kalgoorlie
Don't use ethanol...easy.

If your silly enough to want to save $1 per tank of fuel, at the expense of having to fix your who fuel system.

"Normal" cars can not handle ethanol, it stuffs your fuel lines and kills o2 sensors.

Ethanol can be a great fuel, if your car/fuel system is built to use it.
But the average driver has NFI what the difference is!

Offline Dave

• 2nd Gear
     Re just not using ethanol, our Australian Government is moving towards making e10 mandatory for at least standard unleaded petrol.   I don't know whether this will apply to the 2 more expensive upper grade petrols. which are preferable for the Mercedes/BMW clan of engines.
      Personally I use an upper grade, as it gives better mileage and in afddition is cleener and has injector cleaning agents in it?
       We have an ethanol factory in Nowra NSW, that the owners are always pressing the Government to legislate for the greater use of their product.  The Greenies just love that!
Dave

Pip
There was an article in yesterday's paper where Drive tested E10, ULP (RON91) and premium ULP (RON 95/8) on three identical cars.  The result was that the saving on purchase price for E10 was less than the cost of the extra fuel used such that is was more expensive per km than normal ULP.

Why bother?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Pip that's interesting...

I used to put the 10% ethanol in the wife's Getz before we traded it in on the tiida as I found it ran better (higher octane) and seemed slightly more economical  :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Hi Pip that's interesting...

I used to put the 10% ethanol in the wife's Getz before we traded it in on the tiida as I found it ran better (higher octane) and seemed slightly more economical  :eek:

From my understanding you won't get a true reading of a fuel's effectiveness for a few tanks, as the ECU has to 'work out' how best to use it. So your first tank you might not notice a difference in overall economy, 2nd tank a little bit, 3rd you get your money's worth.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal