i30 Owners Club

I30 clutch bitepoint noise

Offline grobbendonk

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cornwall
My I30 has just turned 2 years old.  Its been brilliant with no issues.  Well only one very small issue which I have not yet resolved.  For about a year I have noticed an intermittent noise on pull away at the clutch bite point.  Its very difficult to describe.   Its not a graunching voice, not a vibration as such - the only way to describe it is like a very brief deep hum just as the clutch bites.  I would not class it as a particularly worrying sound, but it is there nonetheless and may be something which may get worse over time.  I mentioned it to the Main Dealer in Blackwater at my 2 year service point (20000 miles) and they could not hear it nor find anything wrong.  Has anyone else out there had a similar experience?  Thank you.
  • Hyundai I30 CRD Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome grobbendonk. Can't really help with your problem though  :confused:

Over 30 years ago I had a noisy throw out or thrust bearing in am old Holden Torana which had to be replaced..

Here is a video with the noise that makes...

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Grobbendonk

Welcome to the forum.

I think the noise comes from the clutch release bearing. If it hasn't worsened over 1 years time, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
Hi Grobbendonk

I think I have a similar noise on my 2008 1.6CRDI have had th noise  for a year, not got any worse. it depends on hoe many revs you put on to pulll away (mine sounds a bit like cluch slip but no los of speed noise  just for a split second) and sometimes happens if you accelerate hard and get a gear change wrong.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Me too on my10....    fingers crossed for me as well.  Been doing it for a year or more with no change  :blubber: :blubber: :blubber:

Offline Scooter

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cornwall
I have a 2011 and 2012 i30. They are great cars. I operate them as taxis, they do however exhibit the same fault as you are describing. I have taken both of them to Blackwater also and both have had new clutches fitted. The 2011 is on its third clutch now at 100,000 and the noise is back. I am worried that with the mileage the cars are doing, that this is now going to become a very expensive car to run. Also seem to be constantly changing bulbs, on both cars.
You are not on your own lol. They have honoured the warranty so far :goodjob2:.
  • Hyundai i30 Chevvy cruze Vauxhall vivaro Peugeot expert

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the forum, Scooter.
Wowm an i30 taxi!  :Shocked:
How many kms do they rack up a year?
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal