i30 Owners Club

How does the HAC (Hill assist control) in the i30 really work?

peon2t · 10 · 13606

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
Hey there

I have a question about the concept behind the HAC feature in our car (i30 GD).

In my imagination (which also is congruent with the description in the german Wikipedia) a HAC should work like this:

- An inclination sensor detects that your car is on a hill
- You press the clutch and the foot brake
- You release the footbrake but the HAC keeps braking
- If you then engage the clutch the HAC detects the propulsion and releases the brake

But here is my experience how the HAC in the i30 actually works:

- An inclination sensor detects that your car is on a hill
- You press the clutch and the foot brake
- You release the footbrake but the HAC keeps braking
- The HAC keeps braking for a certain amount of time no matter what you do with the clutch

--> This leads to the situation that if you're too fast, you'll "push" against the brake and stall the engine (and if you're too slow you'd roll down the hill anyway)

Now my question to the i30 GD owner is: Does the HAC of the i30 really work in this "primitive" time-based way of which I think that I have experienced it serveal times now (by stalling the engine...) or is my HAC somehow defective and it should normally work in the "intelligent" way I described at the beginning.
If I knew how it's supposed to work I could adapt my hill-starting-style accordingly  ;)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sorry, can't answer your problem, I just put ours in D then drive smoothly away, same thing in R too.  :snigger:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My hill assist, when it detects a slope, works as intended. As soon as I engage the clutch (or is it when I press down on the accelerator pedal) it releases fine. I have never stalled the engine as a result.

If I have a critism it is that it requires quite a steep slope to engage.

I suggest you take your problem up with your dealership - your HAC seems to be faulty.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Seems HAC is more complicated on a manual than on an auto.
Now I just knew i30 GD has this function.   :razz:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Handbrake, Heel & Toe... drive away.

Sorted.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I dont like this feature. Full stop.................

I've rolled back because I was late in engaging the clutch bite.

I've also spin the front tyres because the brake appeared to stay on because I was to early.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Offline revolutions

• 1st Gear
I observed a similar behaviour on my HAC, I have to press down on the accelerator pedal to release the footbrake, only engaging the clutch it doesn't work for me.

By the way, I have another problem: the HAC only works in very steep slopes (maybe more than 10% of slope) so I really don't know when it's activated because on the most of the hills it doesn't. Is it that normal? Is there any way to configure the slope for activating the HAC?
  • 1.6 CRDi Style

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I observed a similar behaviour on my HAC, I have to press down on the accelerator pedal to release the footbrake, only engaging the clutch it doesn't work for me.

By the way, I have another problem: the HAC only works in very steep slopes (maybe more than 10% of slope) so I really don't know when it's activated because on the most of the hills it doesn't. Is it that normal? Is there any way to configure the slope for activating the HAC?

My car is the same as yours. I asked my dealers if it was possible to adjust the inclination setting but they thought not.  I would say however - that on hiils where the HAC does not activate - the slope is such that rolling back is not a significant problem. I find it very effective - and welcome - on steep hills, both in forward and reverse gear.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline revolutions

• 1st Gear

My car is the same as yours. I asked my dealers if it was possible to adjust the inclination setting but they thought not.  I would say however - that on hiils where the HAC does not activate - the slope is such that rolling back is not a significant problem. I find it very effective - and welcome - on steep hills, both in forward and reverse gear.

I see... what a pity! but I agree with you that is very usefull on steep hills although I would prefer to be able to adjust the inclination to activate it. Anyway, I'm happy with the HAC.
  • 1.6 CRDi Style

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal