i30 Owners Club

'THE WHITE VAN MAN'

Guest · 22 · 6263

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
OK, this is addressed to our British friends, over in UK in May, I heard the term 'Beware of the White Van man.'

Now what is the myth behind this term? :scared:  I have my suspicions, but want the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. :-[

I suppose it could be 'Beware of the White Hyundai iLoad man.' :lol:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
At a guess I'd say it was the blokes coming to fit you up with a straitjacket... :D

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Neither of the above, it has something to do with their driving ability, I think.  We will have to wait until our British friends awake from their winter slumber. :confused:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
wiki time

"White van man" is a term popularised in the United Kingdom by the journalist Jonathan Leake, then transport editor at The Sunday Times, to describe drivers of light commercial vehicles such as the Ford Transit. Such vehicles are commonly painted white in order to facilitate easy sign-writing on the panelled sides. The stereotype represents the drivers of such vehicles as often self-employed or the owner of a small business such as builder, carpenter, or plumber. The term White Van Man was used as part of a road safety campaign by the Freight Transport Association to imply poor driving skills and / or an aggressive and inconsiderate manner.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Think of people who drive recklessly at excessive speed, tailgate, cut you up at junctions, park in stupid places, intimidate other drivers and you have a typical white van man.

A few years back panel vans were geared and powered such that they would just about reach the motorway speed limit on a good day - then along came the Mercedes Sprinter van which could exceed 100 mph and it all changed. Suddenly white vans were able to mix it with the Porches and Subarus in the fast lane - and they did.  Thus was born a class of vehicle and their drivers that soon became, and sometimes still are, a bloody menace.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Well said Alan.

For my 10p worth... where a white van has no logo on the side... and no "how am I driving" on the rear...

Describe the drivers as *ankers.  :evil:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I blame Top Gear and Richard Hammond for their hot laps of the "Ring".
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Sorry Trevor, White Van Man existed looooooooong before TG got their shot round the 'ring.  It has always been the case that white vans go faster than any other form of vehicle in all gears, especially reverse!
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I just spent 30 mins on YT watching some White Van Man clips. Some are just unbelievable :eek:

Caution: swearing

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Sorry Trevor, White Van Man existed looooooooong before TG got their shot round the 'ring.  It has always been the case that white vans go faster than any other form of vehicle in all gears, especially reverse!
Apologies Brian, I wasn't suggesting they "created" him, just popularised the concept and sort of made it "acceptable" or even a badge of honour.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I was a white van man for a few years ... The Toyota Hi-ace with 2.4 ltr unleaded petrol motors went surprisingly well  :twisted:

The fact that there is poor rear vision and delivery drivers are usually on a tight time schedule is no excuse I suppose  :whistler:

Having been one of "those" I have some empathy  :P  :winker:

A couple of our drivers at work have very bad accident records...One of them recently T-boned a late model sedan which was being driven past our rear parking bay exit .. But the Van Driver still swears it was the sedan drivers fault  :rolleyes:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Think of people who drive recklessly at excessive speed, tailgate, cut you up at junctions, park in stupid places, intimidate other drivers and you have a typical white van man.

A few years back panel vans were geared and powered such that they would just about reach the motorway speed limit on a good day - then along came the Mercedes Sprinter van which could exceed 100 mph and it all changed. Suddenly white vans were able to mix it with the Porches and Subarus in the fast lane - and they did.  Thus was born a class of vehicle and their drivers that soon became, and sometimes still are, a bloody menace.

I would just drive a new Lotus, no white van man could get near one! they go they stop & they handle. i was down the race track this past week to get practice as i raced in a championship final yesturday . this Lotus was there to give the new driver of a production sportscar  class some track time. boy those little 1.6 supercharged Honda motors in that little Lotus fly & the team manager told me it only runs @ 7 pound of boost Honda cirtainly know how to built motors! it done 0 to 133mph in 10.9 seconds thats around 212kph.
after watching those video's i changed my mind LOL looks like just another traffic jam. but those boofheads just hold the traffic up even more. :snigger:
cheers
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 21:18:08 by Lakes »

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm not sure about the rest of the world,but in Australia commercial vehicles are 99% of the time sold white. if you get up close to most vans in oz that aren't white its because there covered in big stickers.  :idea: if the bulk of vans sold were blue,we would be calling them blue van man. IMO.  :whistler: its not the vans colour causing the anger.  :snigger:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Thank you all for your great responses and explanations re te 'White Van Man.'  They are to be avoided I reckon.  Always in a hurry, couriering stuff around with their 'Don't book me' hazard lights going, cannon fodder for the astute parking officer or traffic cop. :evil:

Well next time I am in the UK, I might rent a WHITE Hyundai iload from ThriftY. :lol: Then I can be the Colonial White Van Man, at least other motorists on those roundabouts might give way to me. :rofl:

Cheers, guys.
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thank you all for your great responses and explanations re te 'White Van Man.'  They are to be avoided I reckon.  Always in a hurry, couriering stuff around with their 'Don't book me' hazard lights going, cannon fodder for the astute parking officer or traffic cop. :evil:

Well next time I am in the UK, I might rent a WHITE Hyundai iload from ThriftY. :lol: Then I can be the Colonial White Van Man, at least other motorists on those roundabouts might give way to me. :rofl:

Cheers, guys.

The iLoad and i800  are  rare vehicles in the U.K.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I think most cars & bikes don't like following Vans as they block off your view, so they try to overtake them to have a clear view of what is ahead. the van drivers are always in a hurry. four wheel drives are the same. someone in Australia once called them a pox on the roads.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

The iLoad and i800  are  rare vehicles in the U.K.

what is a i800? i have driven an iLoad & liked it they ride ok for a forward control van, most of those forward control vans give the driver a terrible ride especially over speed humps as you sit ontop of the front wheel, & feel like you are on a bucking horse . the iLoad you sit back behind the front wheel more like a car.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think most cars & bikes don't like following Vans as they block off your view, so they try to overtake them to have a clear view of what is ahead. the van drivers are always in a hurry. four wheel drives are the same. someone in Australia once called them a pox on the roads.

:goodjob: Very true John

what is a i800? i have driven an iLoad & liked it they ride ok for a forward control van, most of those forward control vans give the driver a terrible ride especially over speed humps as you sit ontop of the front wheel, & feel like you are on a bucking horse . the iLoad you sit back behind the front wheel more like a car.

I wondered that too!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

:goodjob: Very true John

I wondered that too!

you can search for one Dazz

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia