i30 Owners Club

Multi Function Display heat issues (Top LCD)

Thumper · 27 · 7070

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Had to go out at lunch time today (1:15pm) was hot as buggery inside my little beast, so I started it, let the aircon run for a bit whilst waiting for it to cool down.

First thing I noticed, Intercooler and water temp were both sitting on 42 degrees C (I had just started the engine)

Looked up at the LCD display above the climate control (Shows radio, outside temp) it was solid black. The LCD was to hot to display anything.

It took roughly 45 mins of aircon on full cold to get a very dim display to come up. When it was dim I took some photos. (Will upload when I get home)

First time I've had a vehicles LCD display overheat in Australia.  :-[

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Got offered a job in Canberra once but when my mate who lives at Yass told me the temperature extremes I turned it down.... :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Got offered a job in Canberra once but when my mate who lives at Yass told me the temperature extremes I turned it down.... :razz:

Heh!  :lol:

Ok, here is a photo I took once I could start reading the display.

Just noticed that the bottom display was starting to miss some items. Also noticing the top edges of the top display are now starting to warp! (Can I claim this back on warranty?)

Yes, it is showing 40 degrees C outside the vehicle. (It was like hell inside!)

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
First thing I noticed, Intercooler and water temp were both sitting on 42 degrees C (I had just started the engine)

First time I've had a vehicles LCD display overheat in Australia.  :-[

Unlucky Thumper.....

42 degrees IAT, CWT? Pfffft that was ambient temp here at Penrith/Richmond today.

I had IAT spike at 84 going up the hill at Hawkesbury Heights/Yarramundi. CWT hit 95.

Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Daniel

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I have my SG mounted on the centre console just underneath the Hazard light/rear demister button and that cooks in the sun.

Same with my GPS.

The whole dash is 1 big massive conductor of heat. I'm starting to think that the carpet cover might have been a good idea, despite not looking all that appealing to the eye.

Hyundai might try and say operator error, mistreatment or something rubbish like that to get out of it Thumper. Interesting to see what they might say.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I have my SG mounted on the centre console just underneath the Hazard light/rear demister button and that cooks in the sun.

Hyundai might try and say operator error, mistreatment or something rubbish like that to get out of it Thumper. Interesting to see what they might say.

I have mine in the same spot. No problems with it's display in the heat.

As for them trying to get out of it, well, I can't find anywhere in the manual where it states not to park outside during the day, in Australia, during summer!  :rolleyes:

As for operator error, yes, my fault the sun is too bright! My fault we have global warming! My fault I thought that a vehicle had undergone testing so it wouldn't melt in relatively hot temps. (42 degrees C)  :rolleyes:

I'm sure it gets hotter in Egypt during summer!  :twisted:

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Lol

I'm not trying to justify it, I just have alot of cynicism and pessimistic views. I just look at things from the other persons perspective. You are right. There does seem to be some points that the car doesn't seem to handle aussie conditions to well, it's all well and good tuning the suspension for Australia, but it needs more than that to survive!

My SG is a little bit higher, still on the light grey, directly below the buttons. I haven't got a pic, but you will see it in a few days.

The screen on its fine, but the device (being black) just gets very hot. The heat is also melting the sticky tabs......  :'( :'( :'(

Regards

Daniel

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
I had the same issue with the LCD display thumper when I left my car outside, it isnt as extreme as yours as mine was on cooler days, I have notified my dealer about it as it happened the day before the 15k service.
I don't have warping, just the dimming of the LCD panel, the bottom was unaffected

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
As for operator error, yes, my fault the sun is too bright! My fault we have global warming! My fault I thought that a vehicle had undergone testing so it wouldn't melt in relatively hot temps. (42 degrees C) 

Parking hell, relatively hot temps=42C??

Thats bloody melty where I come from mate, in Scotland a sun tan is where you change from blue to a white colour :lol:

As an aside has anybody noticed that the upper display is actually easier to read from the passenger seat, it's a good safety point if you have the hands-free (wife) installed but not great if you are on your own.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I think this has been asked before but does anyone know where the temp sender unit is located?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Was supposed to be 40 degrees C in the shade yesterday. In the sun, and in the confines of a metal car, I'd assume it'd be up around 50-60 degrees inside. My orange/black-display Lancer loan car's LCD is working as normal, even as I started the car up @ 50-ish degrees.

I once left a watch with this type of LCD display in the sun, it also went black, but when the black faded there were no more numbers. Lucky yours felt like turning back with the display still operating, Thumps.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
This is all alien to me, and I reckon - others in the UK... maybe even Hemmi too.

We never see temps so high that anything gets affected. Are we the losers or the winners....?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
losers clearly. you dont get to go to beaches when its really hot and cool down and enjoy the sunshine. sure we get a few days that are tooo hot, but its worth it for the amount of days we get that are just right

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well, may all your multi function displays melt in your hot weather :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Huh

Aberdeen has a beach, cos it's covered in sand.

There the similarity to beaches ends.

Offline simon

• 3rd Gear

Yes, it is showing 40 degrees C outside the vehicle. (It was like hell inside!)

* Simon passes Thumper a blouse   :P

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
Anyone have any issues today? I haven't checked my car as it sat outside in penrith today and the temp hit 44 apparantly, tho my windows were all the way down for some of it

Offline blawler

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I havent experienced this problem. My car was parked in direct sun today and it was about 42 -43.. LCD was fine when I got in..

Burnt my hand on the seat belt though :-D And a fan in my computer melted.. Actually melted...

bez10y
I bought one of those cheapie $9 sunshades specifically to prevent the dash and steering wheel from suffering too much direct sun. It's on of those ones that folds down into a small round package and fits nicely in the passenger side door.

My SG is on the dash but I move it every time I park in the sun, but seeing where you guys have yours I might move mine down there.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I havent experienced this problem. My car was parked in direct sun today and it was about 42 -43.. LCD was fine when I got in..

Burnt my hand on the seat belt though :-D And a fan in my computer melted.. Actually melted...

Ditto. I had to use a cloth to hold my steering wheel, but display was still ok.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Ohhhhh not allowed to call it Global Warming anymore, I think due to the fact that us Brits have asked when it's happening, you have to call it Climate Change now mate.

Sticks on science hat - did you know that the entire planet has a natural variation of average temperature which at the moment we are still well within the standard deviation of?  I reckon the whole thing is a scam to give governments a reason to talk down to us.

The tree-huggers round Heathrow this week need to consider that another runway will prevent the massive numbers of aircraft circling London often for hours before getting in to land.

OK thread hi-jacked, back on topic, I can make my LCD display go black even in the UK, I push the button labelled DARK :lol:

Offline Shuggy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Yep, I live in Canberra and I've been having that problem as well. LCD goes dark until interior cools down. Takes a while though. My biggest problem though is the aircon. It cools the car ok. But does it stink. I've done 28k kilometres and when I start the engine it smells like something has died in there. Truly on a couple of oocasions I've almost thrown up. Smells worse on heat. Actually, thinking about it. Roadkill smells better.
I've had plenty of cars with aircon, but nothing that stinks like this.

Nov 2007 I30 SLX petrol

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Shuggy,

Definately not an i30 issue as such (or we'd have more with the same issue) either a germ of some sort has got in or a small animal/insect has died somewhere in your ventilation system (that is my guess)

Hope it gets sorted soon (I hate smells too) :'(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline aussiejess84

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Frankston

• Moonlight Blue SLX CRDi
Mine does this too. As soon as it gets to over 35 degrees, well actually it did it the other day and it was only 32. Mine always fades back though, and doesn't seem to have any permanent damage. The hottest temp mines read is 49 degrees back in Feb last year when we had the heat wave down here. I had a service today and asked them about it, but as it wasn't hot enough to fade today they couldn't see any problem....

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Hi Shuggy,

Definately not an i30 issue as such (or we'd have more with the same issue) either a germ of some sort has got in or a small animal/insect has died somewhere in your ventilation system (that is my guess)

Though he'd never imagine that, a friend of mine lived almost half a year with a rat hidden somewhere under the bonnet (till he had his car serviced). Bliaaah.
Or else, maybe the filter needs replacement?
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Hi Shuggy,

Though he'd never imagine that, a friend of mine lived almost half a year with a rat hidden somewhere under the bonnet (till he had his car serviced). Bliaaah.

It'll be bacteria. It's a very common problem.

Clean it with an air-conditioning bomb like this

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_224996_langId_-1_categoryId_165632

You start the car and aircon on, close all thw windows, and set it going. it sprays for about ten mins. cover leather seats before use. obviously halfords don'r deliver to AU. Lidl sell them in the uk about twice a year at £2 each.

You need to run the aircon on hot once in a while to dry it out and help kill it.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Hi Shuggy,

It'll be bacteria. It's a very common problem.

Clean it with an air-conditioning bomb like this

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_224996_langId_-1_categoryId_165632

You start the car and aircon on, close all thw windows, and set it going. it sprays for about ten mins. cover leather seats before use. obviously halfords don'r deliver to AU. Lidl sell them in the uk about twice a year at £2 each.

You need to run the aircon on hot once in a while to dry it out and help kill it.

Detailed solution, as always.
And, of course you're not James May. You deal better with car issues :D
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal