i30 Owners Club

Space saver tyre use

Eureka · 23 · 8876

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
The rear right tyre on my 2007 CRDi has a leak.  I have been pumping it up by hand or using the hose at a local station.
The original four tyres have 80,000 ks on them and I will need new tyres in (probably) no more than another 5,000 ks, maybe sooner.  I don't want to pay to fix the leak at this stage of the tyre's life.

The spare tyre, which has never been used, is a 185/65 R15 88H.  The four tyres on the car are 195/65 R15 91H.  The nice, bright yellow sticker on the spare says 'max 80 km/h'.

It is not one of those super-skinny space savers.  If I put it on the car is it absolutely necessary to stick to 80 km/h? 
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Yes it is necessary to stick to the 80k limit. This is all your wheel is rated to handle.

I would suggest that all space savers are rated to an Australian standard, and if this the case, you risk insurance and other legal problems if you exceed it.

It is a shame you are down south, because I have a few sitting around that would have got you out of jail.

With only 5k to go, I would bite the bullet and get new tyres.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Well, it seems like the 185 tyre is a normal tyre, so the max 80 km/h sticker must be because the rim is special.

Get 4 new tyres, and buy a new, or used, normal rim and use one of the allmost worn 195 tyres for spare in the future.

That way you won't be caught by the Max 80 km/h in the future.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The rear right tyre on my 2007 CRDi has a leak.  I have been pumping it up by hand or using the hose at a local station.
The original four tyres have 80,000 ks on them and I will need new tyres in (probably) no more than another 5,000 ks, maybe sooner.  I don't want to pay to fix the leak at this stage of the tyre's life.

The spare tyre, which has never been used, is a 185/65 R15 88H.  The four tyres on the car are 195/65 R15 91H.  The nice, bright yellow sticker on the spare says 'max 80 km/h'.

It is not one of those super-skinny space savers.  If I put it on the car is it absolutely necessary to stick to 80 km/h?
If it's black it's a standard steel wheel.  The sticker, if it's on a standard steel wheel is there because the other rims are usually alloy (but this would be unusual on 15"). But essentially you should keep your speed down because the width and offset would be marginally different. However the true space saver tyre is only rated to 80 kph. And this will be on the tyre as well.

All that aside, I agree with beerman. Buy new tyres now. If you've got 80K out of them you've done very well.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
When I first took the spare out of the car several years ago I was surprised to see the 80 km/h warning sticker.  It's on the outside of the tyre, meaning that it was not visible by simply removing the boot floor and the foam thing with the tools fitted to it.  I must have thought at the time of purchase that it was a full size spare. 

However, I think the original sales brochure says that the rim is full size, but the spare tyre is not.  A casual glance in the boot wouldn't reveal that.

I imagine that the spare tyre itself is safe for more than 80, but the warning is there because of the 'danger' of running one different size tyre.

I will start to check out new tyres ........
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Does your SX have alloys?

My 2010 has a standard rim to match the other 4, and I have rotated the tyres around without issue. The standard rim can be picked up very cheaply, so you could swap it over quite easily and cheaply if it bothers you.

I wonder if your car was the first of the SX after the SLX were done, and it copped a spare with a warning sticker by mistake?

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My SX has steel rims, incl. the spare.  The spare tyre is a 185 whereas the four tyres on the car are 195's.  I think this is what Hyundai intended, as the sales brochure mentioned that the rim was the same size as the other four rims, but it also mentioned that the spare tyre was a different size.  One would have had to have a pretty close look at the brochure to spot that the tyre was a different size.  A casual look in the boot showed what appeared to be a full size spare tyre. 

A year or two after I bought mine in Dec 07 I saw that the Hyundai i30 newspaper adverts were mentioning a full size spare.  I was always going to check the new cars in the yards but never got round to it.

I won't bother to get another spare; I will keep the 185 and if I ever need to use it, well, the 80 km/h will only help the fuel economy. 

It sounds like your spare tyre and rim are the same size as the other four.   
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Pip
If the difference is only 185 v 195 I have to wonder, why do it? And in these silly times of arse covering for everything just in case, I guess they have to offer a caution but me, I'd drive it normally until I got it swapped out again. :cool:

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
That is what I was thinking.  They must have saved x $ by fitting x cars with 185 spare tyres instead of 195's, and the speed warning must be partly, at least, to cover their arse.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
The 195 and the 185 tyres will have a slightly different rolling diameter, so it would be to save the front differential, if you decided to fit the spare to the front.  It shouldn't matter on the rear, but I would stick to 80 km/h.  Remember, insurance companies will try and save money wherever they can.

Pip
The 195 and the 185 tyres will have a slightly different rolling diameter, so it would be to save the front differential
Yeah sure, and the speed limit does what exactly? Don't be influenced by the arse covering. :whistler:
Remember, insurance companies will try and save money wherever they can.
And the relevance here? I'm sure Hy are not in bed with the insurance companies. Arse covering pure and simple!  :whistler:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It is just an EMERGENCY spare to keep you mobile.

We should be glad they don't give a repair can which is pumped into the tyre to seal the hole because if they did and you used it, you may find that the tyre can't be repaired due to the gunge and you would have to buy a new tyre just for a small nail puncture..

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
The 195 and the 185 tyres will have a slightly different rolling diameter, so it would be to save the front differential
Yeah sure, and the speed limit does what exactly? Don't be influenced by the arse covering. :whistler:
Remember, insurance companies will try and save money wherever they can.
And the relevance here? I'm sure Hy are not in bed with the insurance companies. Arse covering pure and simple!  :whistler:

The original post asked if it was necessary to stick to the 80km/h limit that was on the tyre. If you operate the vehicle NOT in accordance with the instructions CLEARLY PRINTED on the wheel then you will void your warranty and insurance.

Either spend the money to:
A. Replace all tyres (he has done 80000 km on them)
B. Repair the leak

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
The warranty has expired and how would an insurance company know what speed the car has travelled at?  2007 CRDi manual - does it have some sort of data logging that could be accessed?

Anyway, I will start looking for four new tyres.  Apart from having done 80,000 ks, the tyres are also worn on the inside edges. 

I located the hole causing the leak; it's a really neat, small hole about the size of a pin head.  I can't see any nail in it.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Pip
I'm sure this will get me into trouble. :Shocked:

You could screw a small PK screw into the hole. That'll plug it.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm sure this will get me into trouble. :Shocked:

You could screw a small PK screw into the hole. That'll plug it.
:whistler:
Given that the tyre only has a short life left, maybe that would work.   :P
But in the normal course of things the flexing as the tyre rolls over the screw with every revolution would enlarge the hole and also damage the steel belts even more.

I'm only mentioning it in case someone thinks it's a good idea and tries it with a nearly new tyre.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Pip
I'm only mentioning it in case someone thinks it's a good idea and tries it with a nearly new tyre.
Yes, I only suggested it as a stop gap for the old tyre.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The 195 and the 185 tyres will have a slightly different rolling diameter, so it would be to save the front differential, if you decided to fit the spare to the front.  It shouldn't matter on the rear, but I would stick to 80 km/h.  Remember, insurance companies will try and save money wherever they can.

These are the comparisons

Obtained from this website
http://bndtechsource.ucoz.com/index/tire_data_calculator/0-20
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 13:10:30 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline zeke45

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      ludlow shropshire england
It has always been my understanding that if you fit a spare tyre of a different diameter that the esp should always be turned off or damage may occur.Am I right in thinking this?.

Pip
I don't know but I think too much worry about too little...

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It has always been my understanding that if you fit a spare tyre of a different diameter that the esp should always be turned off or damage may occur.Am I right in thinking this?.

I had to fit my space saver a while ago. 

I never turned ESP off nor did it activate the esp.

If it had to be turned off I would have expected a sticker on the wheel to say just that.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Today I located the two brochures/leaflets I picked up in 2007.  One of them is a two page (single sheet) spec sheet 'current as at 01/09/2007'.  It lists the standard spare wheel/tyre for the SX, SLX and SR as 'Full size 15" spare steel wheel fitted with 185/65 tyre'.

I am surprised that the SLX and even the SR are listed as having the same spare as my SX.

The multi page booklet 'current as at 15/09/2007' does not have detailed specs.  Under 'i30 genuine accessories' it lists, as an option for the SX, '15" Alloy wheels - 185/65 R15 tyres'.

I know the 15" Hyundai mags that were available; next time I see one I will look at the tyre size.  I thought it would be a 195, not a 185.

• SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Today I located the two brochures/leaflets I picked up in 2007.  One of them is a two page (single sheet) spec sheet 'current as at 01/09/2007'.  It lists the standard spare wheel/tyre for the SX, SLX and SR as 'Full size 15" spare steel wheel fitted with 185/65 tyre'.

We had a Feb 2008 Build CRDi SLX for over 2 years and when it arrived after 3 months wait we were surprised and delighted it had a full size 16" Alloy spare  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal