i30 Owners Club

Hi everyone! In the market for an i30 Wagon

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I found one and bought it!

My partner and I headed up to NSW last weekend to look at an 09 i30cw SX Diesel 5spd in Hyper Silver that was listed on Carsales.

It was perfect! only has 55,000km on the clock and has a full service history. It has next to no scratches and even came with a towbar and roof racks which were exactly what I wanted as well.

we flew up saturday morning around 7am, we drove the car, checked it all over and I couldnt fault anything. So we paid 16k for it, filled the tank and headed home around 4pm. From Sydney to our drive way we did 920km and stopped a couple of times along the way. It was so comfortable on the trip, the seats are awesome! The car cruised well. Anyway just as we pulled in the drive way the fuel light came on.

The next morning I filled the tank to see how many litres we had used. We used roughly 43 liters and averaged 4.7liters per 100km.

So does that mean essentially the fuel light turns on pretty early because that would mean that there would be at least another 150km left in it without running it bone dry (I know thats a no-no in diesel)

Anyway overall very happy with the performance and car over all.

I'm wanting to possibly change a few things on it when I find an SLX wreck that has a few extras. I want to change...

- 2010-2011 headunit that has Bluetooth, it would be great to have since my partners base model Getz already has it.
- Mirror corners that house the tweeters in the SLX, the sound system in the SX has too much bass.
- SLX chrome interior door handles.

Lastly, has anyone with an SX tried to install the SLX audio controls onto their steering wheel?

Thanks everyone for all your help as well.
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The next morning I filled the tank to see how many litres we had used. We used roughly 43 liters and averaged 4.7liters per 100km.

So does that mean essentially the fuel light turns on pretty early because that would mean that there would be at least another 150km left in it without running it bone dry (I know thats a no-no in diesel)

Glad you're happy with your purchase.  :happydance:

Are you sure you filled the tank, many members brim the tank which takes some time, but provides the most accurate fuel consumption results.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I filled it until i heard it starting to gurgle... Was I far off it being completely full?
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Yes, you can put another few litres in after that.
Congratulations on the car.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
To brim the tank you will hear gurgling and have to go slowly as diesel fuel foams. Eventually if you're patient, you will see the fuel sitting in the filler pipe. I estimate the filler pipe holds about 3 / 4 litres as it is quite a long way from the tank.

A word of advice though, be careful of blow back as the foam settles, it is very smelly if you get it on your hands. Also, it's not a good idea to brim and then park the car, as fuel expansion, due to hot weather will cause leakage from the overflow pipe under the car. I have a 20k drive from filling to home, so some fuel is already used.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Anyway overall very happy with the performance and car over all.

I'm wanting to possibly change a few things on it when I find an SLX wreck that has a few extras. I want to change...

- 2010-2011 headunit that has Bluetooth, it would be great to have since my partners base model Getz already has it. Quite an expensive way to get bluetooth as there is not a lot of difference otherwise (Would be cheaper to get one of the very good bluetooth modules that are available from $40 or so IMHO)
- Mirror corners that house the tweeters in the SLX, the sound system in the SX has too much bass. I don't think those tweeter would make a lot of difference  - Have you tried tweaking the bass, treble and balance settings yet :undecided:
- SLX chrome interior door handles. Sorry these are not really recommended either as they are often replaced under warranty due to the chrome peeling. The Plastic Chrome Outside door covers on Ebay for around $25 per set look good and seem to handle the weather well.

Lastly, has anyone with an SX tried to install the SLX audio controls onto their steering wheel? Here is a How To do that...

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6832.0

Thanks everyone for all your help as well.

Congratulations Dean, you have done well  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal