Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Wonder if Brian went?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21484373

A 50-year-old woman has died after a rally car left the track and collided with spectators in the Highlands.

An eight-year-old boy was taken to hospital but police said his condition was not believed to be life-threatening.

The incident happened on the first stage of the Highland Car Club Snowman Rally in Glen Urquhart Forest, about five miles west of Loch Ness.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Hence why I no longer go to Rally's, the drivers do a brilliant job but it can be a very hazaedous spectator sport, never seen anyone killed watching an out of control bullfrog, ata bullfrog race.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
I'm always surprised that so few are killed at rallies. 

I went to a couple, years ago, but I never stood in the road taking a snap and then jumping out of the way at the last second. Nor did I stand on the outside of bends.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I was going to go, but we decided against it this year.

I have been going rallying since I was 6 and have to say that the number of deaths in the 36 years since have been very small for a "hazardous" sport.

Freak accidents happen, the British rally spectator of old did not perform the acrobatic taking a pic from the middle of the road and jumping out of the way at the last moment, unfortunately many of our European mainland compatriots do/did and there are vids of it all over YouTube, which makes the new era of spectators think this is part of the sport.  Wrong!

We don't know enough about this one yet to assess whether it was indeed a freak accident where the car reacted badly to a bump or rut and speared off, or if the spectators were on the outside of a bend or too close to the track.  At this moment none of that really matters, my thoughts are with the victim, the seriously injured 8 year old boy and the driver and navigator of the car. 

• Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
  At this moment none of that really matters, my thoughts are with the victim, the seriously injured 8 year old boy and the driver and navigator of the car.

:whsaid: :disapp:

They manage the Targa Tasmania (tarmac Rally) very well safety wise.. Keep spectators well away from the more dangerous viewing areas. You can see why when this sort of thing happens  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm always surprised that so few are killed at rallies. 

I went to a couple, years ago, but I never stood in the road taking a snap and then jumping out of the way at the last second. Nor did I stand on the outside of bends.
you cant stand/sit in places like that in Australia.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I read in the latest issue of Australian Motorcycle News that a spectator jumped the fence and walked onto the track at Phillip Island during qualifying at the recent "Island Classic".

Apparently there was something on the track and this idiot tried to retrieve it. This happened near the braking zone on Gardner Straight.... :eek:

The story goes that there were 3 bikes pretty much side by side and one of them clipped the idiot's heel.

Fortunately for all concerned that was it but it could've caused a massive crash.

Marshals found the culprit hiding behind bushes by following the blood trail..... :lol:

Hopefully the police dealt with him severely!

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery

Always sad to hear of these incidents but motor sport is dangerous and where the crowd cannot be controlled they will sometimes inexplicably put themselves in harms way.

Anyway, long lenses should be used to maintain a safe distance. With the right tools, its possible to get the shot and not get killed. The other thing that if you get too close or otherwise stand in the wrong spot, dust, sand, slush all can get into the gear. Aside from the obvious safety issues for being too close, no one wants their gear covered in cr@p.   

• i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great photo Keith (assume it is one of yours) and what you say is very true  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal