i30 Owners Club

New Tyres

Guest · 80 · 28258

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Kumho Tyres offered me their KH18 Solus, 195.65.15s at $98 each drive away. Claimed they are good for 80,00k and far quiter than the Kumho Solus KH15 that came fitted to the vehicle. Disapointed that I will be lucky to get 40,000k out of Solus KH15 and I am therefore hesitant of fitting Kumho again. I am not a leadfoot. What is the opinion of members about the KH18. I am leaning towards the Continental or Bridgestone as they appear to be safe, quite and long wearing tyres. I am not too concerned about the price
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Kumho Tyres offered me their KH18 Solus, 195.65.15s at $98 each drive away. Claimed they are good for 80,00k and far quiter than the Kumho Solus KH15 that came fitted to the vehicle. Disapointed that I will be lucky to get 40,000k out of Solus KH15 and I am therefore hesitant of fitting Kumho again. I am not a leadfoot. What is the opinion of members about the KH18. I am leaning towards the Continental or Bridgestone as they appear to be safe, quite and long wearing tyres. I am not too concerned about the price
Depending on the pattern, Bridgestones aren't necessarily quiet.
I'd go for the Contis, personally. I think they are going to give you the best wet grip and quietness.  I can't speak about the wear.
The KH18 is definitely a better tyre than the KH15 but 80,000 is a lot to claim for any tyre on a front wheel drive car.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Seems as good a time as any to give a bit of an update on the Conti tyres I fitted a few months back.

While I've only put around 4000k's on them so far I must admit I have no complaints, they seem to grip well wet or dry.

I was coming back from a trip to Melbourne the other night and I just couldn't help but notice how relaxing it was, just cruising at the speed limit with the "cruise" set and the stereo softly playing. It then dawned on me that one of the reasons it was so relaxing was due to the lack of road noise.

While it's hard to really tell without a noise meter, seat of the pants testing definitely tells me these tyres are quieter than the original Hankooks....

My verdict.... :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I got 84,993 klms out of my original Kumho Solus KH15 195/65 R15 tyres.

If I was buying tyres right now I would probably go for the Bob Jane T Marts 4 for 3 offer on Bridgestones and get the Bridgestone Ecopia (a fuel saver tyre).  That deal is to 31 May.

$139 per tyre x 3 = $417 for 4 tyres.  (plus alignment ... ) 

• SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I got 84,993 klms out of my original Kumho Solus KH15 195/65 R15 tyres

Thanks Eureka. I cannot understand why you would recommend a brand other than kumho Solus when you accomplished 85,000klms on the originals. If I had similar performance I would have knocked the kumho Dealer down to get another set of Solus at the price offered, but I had doubts about the claim. Was it because of noise, safety or some other reason. As Pauline  once said  "Would you please explain?"

• i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I got 68,000 kms out of my original set of Kumhos, more from the second.

Rusty, is "seat of pants" the best way to monitor noise?  :rofl:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I've had Hankook,kumho and two cheaper brand on ours,got a crap run out of them all,best was justa tad under 40,000,but I have just put two Mayruns on the front of Bruce,probably geta crap run out of them too,but they are the quietest tryes I've had on either of the cars so far,I was surprised how much quieter they have been so far,only done 800k'S on them since monday
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I've had Hankook,kumho and two cheaper brand on ours,got a crap run out of them all,best was justa tad under 40,000,but I have just put two Mayruns on the front of Bruce,probably geta crap run out of them too,but they are the quietest tryes I've had on either of the cars so far,I was surprised how much quieter they have been so far,only done 800k'S on them since monday
Thanks, Rick, a good set of names to put to memory. I wonder whether I'll be able to judge tyre noise progressively. Maybe from here on in, every set will be quieter.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

CAN YOU SPEAK UP A BIT PLEASE?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Thanks, Rick, a good set of names to put to memory. I wonder whether I'll be able to judge tyre noise progressively. Maybe from here on in, every set will be quieter.

Probably that is my problem Gonz,I've just got a bit deafer the last eight months,I have been riding like a dog in the truck with me head hanging out the window.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hornet - I recently bought Continentals to replace the original Kumhos, partly to see if the car's 'ride' would be any better than with the Kumho tyres.  If the Bridgestone deal had been available at the time I would have bought their Ecopia tyres - primarily to see if I could get better fuel economy than Kumho tyres. Tyre longevity is not my only concern, although the distance I got from the original tyres was very welcome.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline bryand

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Loughborough
Having read through the tyre noise threads on here, I noted the comment in Sound Deadener Showdown that "if tyres are the only noise you are concerned about, new tyres might be the best option".
So out went a set of perfectly healthy Hankook Optima 415s (the OEM fit on my 2011 i30) in favour of Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance on my 16" alloys.
I don't have a professional sound level meter, but I used an app on my phone to get before/after results, using a part of the A46 where the surface changes from concrete to tarmac, and driving at 60 mph.

TyreConcreteCoarse tarmacSmooth tarmac
Hankook86 - 88 dB87 - 88 dB82 - 84 dB
Goodyear85 - 87 dB87 - 88 dB79 - 81 dB

.. so I did measure a reduction in noise levels to back up my subjective impression and what the numbers don't show is the change in the quality of the sound - a deeper rumble from the Goodyears, which I find less annoying.

So despite the cost (£73 a corner) I'm satisfied that my i30 is now a nicer place to be and has low-noise, fuel-efficient tyres.  Recommended.
  • 2011 FD i30 1.6 Diesel

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Be interesting to hear you views say after a week or so after you have had varying surface types and of course the all to familiar british rain.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Bryan  :whsaid: plus hopefully in a month or so you might be able to give some feedback about any fuel economy improvements.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bryand

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Loughborough
After a couple of weeks with the Goodyears I am very pleased with their quietness - coarse surfaces no longer stop conversations and I have to watch my speed because there are no sound cues.

Fuel economy gains are difficult to demonstrate, but it's looking like they are worth 2-4 MPG more than the Hankooks (so they'll never pay for themselves on fuel savings alone, but that wasn't the point). 

The plot below shows speed against Economy for the same locations on the same road, driven under the same conditions (but at different times and similar speeds).  Not conclusive, but it shows the trend:
  • 2011 FD i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Still, a sizeable saving over time ... thanks for that!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks for that.   :goodjob:
Very interested in the noise reduction.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline ausi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
I agree that durability and tyre noise are something to consider(I got rid of a set of maxxis on a mazda because of drumming) when buying new tyres, but to me a tyre that turns and goes where it is pointed in all conditions and  brakes harder and in a shorter distance wins for me anytime.
I know though that not everyone can afford a premium tyre, but for me, (as I am not the main driver), the extra expense is warranted.
Sorry for the looong opening sentence..

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I agree that durability and tyre noise are something to consider(I got rid of a set of maxxis on a mazda because of drumming) when buying new tyres, but to me a tyre that turns and goes where it is pointed in all conditions and  brakes harder and in a shorter distance wins for me anytime.
I know though that not everyone can afford a premium tyre, but for me, (as I am not the main driver), the extra expense is warranted.
Sorry for the looong opening sentence..
I commend you on your attitude, ausi30.
Far too often over my many years in the tyre and auto service industry the request I heard was, "I just want something cheap. My wife only uses the car for short shopping trips and to take the kids to school".

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 "and to take the kids to school".

I have actually heard a guy say that....

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
"and to take the kids to school".

I have actually heard a guy say that....
You'd better believe it.
I doubt there would have been a week in the 30+ years I spent in the industry when I DIDN'T hear it.
It takes all your tact to not tell them what you think of them.
I had a service manager working for me years ago (probably 83/84 whose response to that was, "Do you hate your wife and kids?".
I had to ban him from saying it eventually.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You could take it that way, but what they really mean is it only does low speed trips. Which is equally as wrong.

A crash at any speed can cause injury to occupants and the likelihood that in the tyres lifetime of say 2 years, I'll bet the car gets used for towing the trailer / boat etc with the family on board, which is when you really need excellent tyres.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Could we start a chart / poll / scoreboard / buyer's guide to capture the top rated tyre replacement solutions for our beloved i30s? I find this thread very informative but the guts of the value is in getting a list of best tyres / deals / votes from users for users. :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Gee, that's a bit like asking who makes the best car. There are many variables and availability options due to the international nature of our members, having said that, it's a good idea. Maybe we should award scores in specific areas like they do on Top Gear  :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hey, let's take the idea further and become our own ANCAP / Wheels / Top Gear.
We can get our forum into the headlines by making public statements like we do with Engineers Australia (and for those in the know, I'm now President of the Old Crows as well - no, nothing to do with football  :rolleyes:)
Perhaps we can create our own endorsement logo and have products such as air fresherners, polishes and - God forbid, TYRES! - carry the i30 Owners Club tick of approval!

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hey, let's take the idea further and become our own ANCAP / Wheels / Top Gear.
We can get our forum into the headlines by making public statements like we do with Engineers Australia (and for those in the know, I'm now President of the Old Crows as well - no, nothing to do with football  :rolleyes:)
Perhaps we can create our own endorsement logo and have products such as air fresherners, polishes and - God forbid, TYRES! - carry the i30 Owners Club tick of approval!
Good luck with getting agreement within the membership. ;)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's not a showstopper - we don't need to agree, just build a list of favourites and where one gets more than one vote it gets a higher place on the list. I'm sure the forum poll function could achieve this. :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

There is definitely some merit in the poll idea Gonz .. We will have to have a think about the best way to do it though  :cool:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
My vote goes to any tyre,that stays on a rim and I get more than 35,000k's and doesn't go down,funny thing Years ago,talking 72,bought a full set of Mitchies,cost me an arm and a leg,got them one my FE ute did 28,000 miles,when I trade up to a HR ute they were still in that good a condition,I swapped them onto the HR,did at least another 20,000 miles and even when I got rid of that ute,they were still passable as roadworthy.

So having that in my memory banks what they  were like a couple of years ago I bought another set,well lets just say were the biggest disappointment I had had at that time for a long time,they were shagged within 25000 k's,they were noisy,only positive they were good to ride on,expensive is not always the best,I feel like some, not all,of the better know brands are riding on their names these days

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal