i30 Owners Club

Automatic locks.

Offline the everyman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I have the FD model and I have noticed that all the doors lock themselves at 40Km/h. When an attempt is made to unlock them at speed, the locks override the driver and return to the 'lock' position immediately. I looked this up in the owner's handbook and it says it's supposed to do it, but it doesn't say why it does it. Any answers?
  • FD i30 SX 5-Speed

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's a security thing. It means you don't have to remember to activate the central locking manually so someone can't jump in the car at the lights and hijack you.
If you want, the dealer can alter the setting so they lock at 15 kph. Or they can disable it if you want.
It's a common feature on more expensive cars.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline the everyman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
It's a security thing. It means you don't have to remember to activate the central locking manually so someone can't jump in the car at the lights and hijack you.
If you want, the dealer can alter the setting so they lock at 15 kph. Or they can disable it if you want.
It's a common feature on more expensive cars.
Thanks. I didn't think of that. I'll get used to it lol. :hatoff:
  • FD i30 SX 5-Speed

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
In the event of an accident they automatically unlock, (assuming the battery isn't instantly destroyed, I guess).
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I quite like the idea.
On my FD they were set at 40 km/h, my GD came with them set at 15 km/h which I prefer.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I quite like the idea.
On my FD they were set at 40 km/h, my GD came with them set at 15 km/h which I prefer.
Me too. My FD came at 40 also. My daughter's Accent came at 15 kph for which I'm grateful.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Pip
I had mine disabled. They annoyed me greatly when back seat passengers could not escape after stopping to let them out unless you remembered to unlock the doors from the driver's armrest button or turned the engine off etc. Always forgot when at the lights or similar and it was panic stations. :sweating:

Maybe the newer model has fixed that stupidity. The front seat passenger or driver could always override by just opening the doors as normal. Why the rear was treated differently I don't know. Nothing BTW to do with child locks, in case you wondered, they were off.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:33:15 by Pip »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
On the GD you can change the setting yourself via the menu.

This feature, menu, isn't available on the FD and can only be done by dealer.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal