i30 Owners Club

NSW Begins Motorcycle Filtering Trial In Sydney CBD

Guest · 17 · 3798

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The NSW Government has today begun a two-month trial that will allow motorcyclists to 'filter' between stationary vehicles at intersections in the Sydney CBD.

Roads Minister Duncan Gay said the trial, developed by government body Transport for NSW, will test if traffic flow is improved by allowing powered two-wheelers to move to the front of traffic.

More....

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
The NSW Government has today begun a two-month trial that will allow motorcyclists to 'filter' between stationary vehicles at intersections in the Sydney CBD.

Roads Minister Duncan Gay said the trial, developed by government body Transport for NSW, will test if traffic flow is improved by allowing powered two-wheelers to move to the front of traffic.

More....

What a freakin Dumbass,motorcycles have been lane splitting since the day dot of four and two wheeled vehicles sharing the roads,how the hell is it going to improve traffic flow now that they are having a trail for something that's been happening forever,bugger me with a bean bag,you have to love our government,one day these PPL are going to wake up and start living in the real world
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
From what I've read, many suspect this spot was carefully chosen to increase the likelihood of this trial being a failure....  :undecided:

I hope they are wrong....

Pip
Is there a distinction here between lane splitting while motoring versus "filtering" while traffic is stationary?

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I have no issues with Bike riders lane splitting,as long as the traffic is stationary(used to do it myself)my issue is when you see the blokes doing it when the traffic is moving,I've seen a few PPL end up under truck wheels in moving traffic,you can never second guess what another vehicle is going to do when it's moving,even when their indicating to turn left,then at the last minute change their winds and turn right in front of you.

Oh! and if your a 180kg wombat on a 48cc moped scooter,who lane splits and when the lights change you haven't got enough power to pull out from bewteeen the loaded semi and the van at the lights beside him,that one had me really gob smacked.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I find it frustrating that it is repeatedly said that lane filtering is illegal.....It is not, it is just not written into our road rules that it is actually legal to do...

Filtering, if done correctly breaks no road rules.
It is legal in NSW and other States (as far as I'm aware) to pass to the left of a stationary vehicle. (Rule 141c)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes....

This should be interesting.like to clarify how lane splitting and filtering differ,it is simply a play on words, where at any point,whether traffic is stationary or moving,if to get to the front of the traffic and the lines on the road is solid,which I have seen in all states for the last 10 or so metres before the lights and a motorcycle has to ride on that line or even fractionally deviate across that line from one side to another is technically classed as lane splitting

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Oh! and if your a 180kg wombat on a 48cc moped scooter,who lane splits and when the lights change you haven't got enough power to pull out from bewteeen the loaded semi and the van at the lights beside him,that one had me really gob smacked.

Guess it's no worse than allowing cyclists to gather at the front of other traffic in bicycle "storage" areas at traffic lights, Rick.... :undecided:
That has never made much sense to me....

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Oh! and if your a 180kg wombat on a 48cc moped scooter,who lane splits and when the lights change you haven't got enough power to pull out from between the loaded semi and the van at the lights beside him,that one had me really gob smacked.

Guess it's no worse than allowing cyclists to gather at the front of other traffic in bicycle "storage" areas at traffic lights, Rick.... :undecided:
That has never made much sense to me....

True never made much sense to me either,suppose it all comes down to how much grey matter PPL have.

Going back to the differentiating of LS and LF,yes this has never been against the law,but even in all the news articles I have read over the years, no one yet has been able to differentiate between the to,there was an interesting article in the Age Jan 11 2006,when NSW wanted to make it law that LS LF was illegal and the NBA lobbied the NTC to not bring this law in,the article started the story with LS then changed to LF then back to LS,so even the so called experts and riders can't even differentiate between the two,like I said it is just a play on words.

Again I am not against it at all, as long as it is done with safety,while other traffic is stationary,makes sense to me,it's up to the bike rider to make the judgement call,it's his or her own life their playing with,because from what I have witnessed on the roads,other road users don't give a toss about riders,unless it is a rider aware driver,again from what I have witnessed not a great deal of them around in the metropolitan area's

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Forgot to say, not only does Sue not want my to have another bike,I used to love to ride,but it is another reason I don't have a Bike, because of the amount of idiots on the roads these days,no matter how careful you ride,seems to be many inattentive drivers out there more intent on either texting,talking on the mobiles,don't know about other states,but here in WA it seems like their giving out licenses,like a candy promoter giving out Candy at recess time at the local primary school

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Lane splitting at intersections is legal in W.A.
It becomes illegal when the bike crosses over the continuous white line on approach to the intersection.
They must stay within their lane to remain legal.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Lane splitting at intersections is legal in W.A.
It becomes illegal when the bike crosses over the continuous white line on approach to the intersection.
They must stay within their lane to remain legal.

I think you'll find it illegal anywhere in Oz Dave,as far as I'm aware crossing a continuos unbroken white line anywhere is illegal,but it doesn't stop PPL doing it,especially on the Brookton Hwy early every morning,no it's not me,someone who passes me every morning

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Is there a distinction here between lane splitting while motoring versus "filtering" while traffic is stationary?

Apparently these are the trial requirements:  :undecided:

• Lane filtering means motorcyclists can only move between stationary vehicles at intersections.
  • Specific conditions will include taking extra care when filtering near buses, no filtering on the left in the kerbside left lane or dedicated turning lanes, and riders must stop at the intersection stop-line.
  • Lane filtering has to stay within a lane, it is not overtaking.
  • Lane splitting will not be allowed – this involves motorcyclists weaving through moving traffic instead of stationary traffic.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
on that criteria,I for the life of me can't see why they are having the trail,all this criteria is already allowable,as Dave stated as long as they do not cross a continuos unbroken white line.

what I really think is happening is some shiney bums way of bringing in a LF/LS law to make it illegal in the future,as you also said they have picked a spot which this practice is almost unworkable and likely to fail.

Vic is watching the trail closely,so if after the trail NSW do happen to bring in a law against this practice,it won't be long beofre all the other states follow suite

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
what I really think is happening is some shiney bums way of bringing in a LF/LS law to make it illegal in the future<

They tried that some years back with proposed rule 151a but there was so much uproar over it that, in the end it was withdrawn...  :goodjob:

That's not to say they won't try it again some time down the track though....

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
bit like the DLS over here the last time they introduced it as a three year trial thinking PPL would get used to it and vote yes at the referendum,the trail actually worked against them,they say they will never trail it again,but give them time

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal