i30 Owners Club

Noise from engine bay (metallic) 2.0L engine

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hey guys

Lately (past week or so) I've been hearing a metallic ringing noise (almost like a power saw cutting through steel) from under my car, or in the engine bay, as I accelerate.  It does not necessarily match rises in frequency with revs, and it does not occur when I put the car in park and rev it.  It is louder from the left side of my car, near the transmission.  At first I thought maybe my exhaust was loose or rattling but as I said the noise does not occur in park while revving, only when the car moves and has power applied.

Any thoughts?  I have tried to investigate but haven't lifted the car up yet as I'm getting it serviced soon anyway.

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
could be the pump in the tranny or the torque convertor cavitating from a clogged tranny filter, what's ya tranny oil look like? this would fit with it only happening when in drive or reverse and power being applied.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Can you record the sound... ?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
drive shaft CV joint.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Pip
..it does not occur when I put the car in park and rev it.
So that eliminates the engine. It has to be transmission or drive shafts etc. Unlikely to be CV related unless you hear a noise while on significant lock. So... transmission. Bloody autos... I have told you guys often enough not to buy them. Sort of like getting married, you really pay for the convenience in the end.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
C'mon Pip, I drove ours today and watched a manual Golf drive off in spurts of power with each gear, looked horrible, what a pain.  :'(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Exhaust gases passing through the exhaust pipe?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Pip
.. looked horrible...
Of course I was having a lend but just the same, every auto I owned was either turned into a turd to drive (compared to its counterpart) or broke down or both.

I 'd rather not start a war but I'm happy to keep reminding people that the convenience of an auto is not free in the long term because they are very complex jiggers. I bet most people already understand that and purposely don't keep their auto cars for a long time in anticipation of potentially costly repairs.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's ok Pip.  :goodjob2:

As a thought Pip, Why don't manufacturers go to electric motors for transmission. It works for trains & hybrids, why don't they ditch auto's in cars.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Pip
That's ok Pip.  :goodjob2:

As a thought Pip, Why don't manufacturers go to electric motors for transmission. It works for trains & hybrids, why don't they ditch auto's in cars.
It's a question I have asked myself.

I wondered why they don't do a diesel-electric like they do with trains. A full electric drive-train with a diesel to just supply the electricity. I imagine it would probably still need say a 2-speed gearbox else the motor would have to be over-sized just to supply the take off  torque. Once you need to change gears you are back where you started. One thing long haul trains have that cars don't I guess is that they cruise at a fixed speed 99% of the time.

Offline inghome

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Could be Engine  pre-ignition "Pinging". Try premium fuel, the pinging sound (metallic) usually stops.

Cheers
  • I30 Active

Pip
Could be Engine  pre-ignition "Pinging". Try premium fuel, the pinging sound (metallic) usually stops.

Cheers
The obvious answer. I admit I assumed anyone would know what that sounded like. But of course you don't till you do. :confused:

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

Cheers

i don't think its pinging, the OP says this

Lately (past week or so) I've been hearing a metallic ringing noise (almost like a power saw cutting through steel) from under my car, or in the engine bay, as I accelerate. 

pinging doesn't sound like "a power saw cutting through steel" its is more like a metalic rattle. like the rattle you get out of a diesel

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
it's not pinging!

This as I said sounds like a power saw.  It's not temperature dependent.  It is louder outside of the left of my car (hardly audible from the right).  Engine runs like normal, steering and driving is fine, gear shifts are fine, it just makes this noise when I drive.

As it happens the bottom of my bellhousing is damp, I cannot find the source of a leak however and it hasn't dropped any fluid on the driveway.  The tranny fluid is red like normal.  Car has 15,000km on it

I guess I'll ask my mechanic to check it out during my service.  I'm thinking it's the transmission, though I certainly hope that is not the case.  I don't see how a near new tranny could get a clogged filter so soon

I'll check the fluid level tonight

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
.. looked horrible...
Of course I was having a lend but just the same, every auto I owned was either turned into a turd to drive (compared to its counterpart) or broke down or both.

I 'd rather not start a war but I'm happy to keep reminding people that the convenience of an auto is not free in the long term because they are very complex jiggers. I bet most people already understand that and purposely don't keep their auto cars for a long time in anticipation of potentially costly repairs.

I like a traditional auto with a torque converter when they drive nicely.

The new dual clutch shite coming out these days is awful.  The dual clutch in my previous car died and Ford refused to replace it or even look at it under warranty.  They are awful junk.  Even in VWs and Audis they have hiccups.

Manuals are heaps more fun but I couldn't track down a manual i30 trophy when i bought mine, and I do a lot of bumper to bumper shit in the city.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal