i30 Owners Club

Hyundai Rallying History

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
One of my fb friends is Wayne Bell, a rally driver of some note from back in the day. After a career where he came to prominence in Geminis and having earned a reputation as a car preparer, he was behind the ill fated late 90's attack on the WRC F2 by Hyundai.
Initially the cars were prepared in Oz and later IIRC a British firm took over. Ongoing funding issues plagued the team and results were scarce but I found this story from Channel 10 in Australia which detailed the beginnings of the project. Wayne's co-driver in the footage at the end of the clip is Iain Stewart a Brisbane based guy who also goes back into my era in the sport but went on with it a lot further, including considerable overseas experience. I remember Stewie as an excellent mechanic as well, especially in the area of tuning and his expertise in setting up Weber carbys for optimum performance was well known.
Anyway, I found this video whilst trolling for something else and thought it might be of some interest.Given VW's initial early success this year in the WRC, let's hope Hyundai gets its act together better this time around.

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Good find, thanks for sharing.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i wonder what happened to the cars,scraped and sold off.  :undecided:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very interesting Trevor I would expect their pockets to be a lot deeper this time around...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I was a big fan of the F2 Coupe and was initially excited by MSD taking the Accent and creating a full 2 litre turbo 4WD 300BHP WRC car from it, which actually featured in many of the original PlayStation 2 WRC games.

Unfortunately despite Hyundai happily providing the bodyshell's and the basic engine block little else was provided by them including finance and the Accent WRC, despite the reasonably quick driver line up including Kenneth Eriksson and Alister McRae, was beset by technical difficulties which I believe at the time did little to raise Hyundai's status, merely confirming their "cheap" image and creating a false sense of unreliability, the road cars were cheap and reliable, the rally cars were not, but Motorsport has always had the mantra win on Sunday sell on Monday, it was against the Scooby and Evo, hadn't a hope in hell to be honest!
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I was a big fan of the F2 Coupe and was initially excited by MSD taking the Accent and creating a full 2 litre turbo 4WD 300BHP WRC car from it, which actually featured in many of the original PlayStation 2 WRC games.

Ironically, in my Colin McRae Rally 2, I have always found the Hyundai to be the quickest option. :cool:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal