i30 Owners Club

iPhone & I30 premium

Offline Sparkyinaus

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Hi all,
First post so please be gentle :mrgreen:
Waiting for delivery of the new cars, white i30 premium & white i20 elite. (Can't wait till next week!)
My question is does the iPhone4s work ok with the sat nav/media system?

Thanks for the answers in advance.
  • I30 premium I20 Elite

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome to the forum Sparkyinaus,

There is a huge amount of information available here and we welcome your participation. :goodjob2:

Can't answer your question though, don't posses the equipment, sorry.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
The iPhone 4 works fine. It will connect via Bluetooth and stream music, or connect via the USB port and play music through that connection.

The phone contacts list sync over BT once the phone is paired, and calls work fine.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Sparkyinaus

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Well that's 1 less thing to worry about then!
I suppose you can pair multiple phones too?
  • I30 premium I20 Elite

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Sparkyinaus

Welcome to the forum.

2 new cars at the same time. Congrats.. :D

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the forum.
I only have i-phone 3GS and that works fine on my Active.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Hi Sparkyinaus

Welcome to the forum.

2 new cars at the same time. Congrats.. :D
its twice as exciting .  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
My premium has never connected nicely with multiple phones (all iPhones). I pair them and it stores the relationship but it only ever tries to connect with the last one connected on start up, not everyone in the list. I need to go in to the settings and select the appropriate phone and then it connects. But then the next person gets in and they have to do the same. Not something I am happy with but the unit has already been replaced once and still does it so I am just 'living with it' for now.

If others do not experience this I would be keen to hear from them so I know it is definitely a fault and not by design.

Offline deringer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
My premium has never connected nicely with multiple phones (all iPhones). I pair them and it stores the relationship but it only ever tries to connect with the last one connected on start up, not everyone in the list. I need to go in to the settings and select the appropriate phone and then it connects. But then the next person gets in and they have to do the same. Not something I am happy with but the unit has already been replaced once and still does it so I am just 'living with it' for now.

If others do not experience this I would be keen to hear from them so I know it is definitely a fault and not by design.

I'm fairly certain this is a limitation of bluetooth and not a fault with the unit. If you have two units paired simultaneously, which one does audio come from? It won't be both. Phone calls would be another story if that worked, unless you get two calls at the same time on both phones.

Same deal with pairing bluetooth headsets to phones. You can have multiple devices paired but it's likely you'll have multiple connected simultaneously.
  • MY12 GD i30 Elite in Santorini Blue

ouri30
I agree with Deringer.  Bluetooth, while it pairs with multiple devices, has limitations in dual simultaneous pairing of devices.  For the reasons Deringer outlines plus many others, all sorts of issues would rise if Bluetooth did multiple simultaneous pairing.

Other vehicles and head units and hands free units I have experience with behave in the sme way that the i30 head unit does.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Yes they do work just fine. I like the audio playback feature myself, push the media button and it picks up the last song off the phone where you left off. With two phones in the car it detects the last used and you can easily swap them with a push of a button. Think of it like your stereo at home, you need to select an input to determine the source. Same in the car. BT just supplies a connection from the device to the head unit.

The only gotcha is going to be the size of your contacts list on the phone. If its too big it won't load. This is not uncommon behaviour for systems of this type I understand.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Sparkyinaus

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Thanks for the reply's guy's, think mine will be on charge most of the time to be honest
Hope the i20 is the same deal!
  • I30 premium I20 Elite

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

I'm fairly certain this is a limitation of bluetooth and not a fault with the unit. If you have two units paired simultaneously, which one does audio come from? It won't be both. Phone calls would be another story if that worked, unless you get two calls at the same time on both phones.

Same deal with pairing bluetooth headsets to phones. You can have multiple devices paired but it's likely you'll have multiple connected simultaneously.

Sorry, I did not explains myself very well 😔

I understand it will not connect to two phones at the one time but if I drive the car and connect my phone, then the next day my wife drives the car the unit will not automatically connect to her phone, it looks for mine then gives up even though my wife's phone appears in the list of paired devices. I would have thought the system would check for the last device and then each device in the list and then give up 😊 to connect anything other then the last device I need to go into the settings and select the device manually.

Given the responses I am guessing this is normal, just annoying not to be able to just get in and it works. Oh well.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
I understand it will not connect to two phones at the one time but if I drive the car and connect my phone, then the next day my wife drives the car the unit will not automatically connect to her phone, it looks for mine then gives up
I have the 2011 i30 SLX model. So, its radio is different to the current models, but it does exactly the same thing as what you're experiencing. So, I'd have to guess that it's a "feature" of bluetooth technology.

Initially I thought that it was something to do with my iPhone 4S after I upgraded it to iOS 6.whatever. But after reading these posts here I've realised that no, it's more to do with what you've written, because my wife's iPhone 5 connects fine.  She uses the car more than I do so her phone's always connected to it.

So, when we go somewhere together, despite us both coming into range at the same time it picks her phone, rather than mine. If I go somewhere in the car by myself it won't connect. I have to manually do it via the phone's BT settings. However, since she's been away she hasn't used the car for a while. but seeing that I have it's connecting to mine automatically once more.

I'll test this theory when she comes home and see which phone the radio picks first.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Sparkyinaus

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Looks like ill have to wait till Wednesday to collect the cars so hopefully it will all be sweet!
  • I30 premium I20 Elite

Offline deringer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Not unique to the i30, either. Experienced the same in my mate's Mazda 3 when I borrowed it. You would think it'd just be a minor software tweak to get it to search for all devices but alas. It's only a couple of clicks (more than it should be) to change to another device, anyway.
  • MY12 GD i30 Elite in Santorini Blue

Offline Sparkyinaus

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Shouldn't be a drama really, I'll only be driving it for a week then it will be the wife's, it's just the wife's not tech savvy so the easier I can make it the better!
  • I30 premium I20 Elite

Offline mike481050

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
Have a 2007 Mitsubishi 380 with factory Bluetooth which connects automatically and quickly to the first paired of multiple phones within range on startup.

I40 premium does as others have described with different phone to last paired having to be paired manually.

The technology has existed for years. Don't know why they don't use it.
  • Hyundai I40 Premium Sedan

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Picked the missus up from the airport yesterday. My phone paired with the radio first, not hers. Later, I'll disable BT on the phone and take hers out to the car, see if it pairs automatically.

Update: yep, as suspected, the i30's radio only pairs auto with the last paired phone. Both iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 pair auto properly if THAT phone was last paired (either auto or manually).

Played with an Ebay purchased iPhone/iPod/iPad 30 pin cable using the USB connection. Works fine. Displays current playing song title. But when streaming audio via the cable using Tune In Radio Pro app says "track 1". Says "BT Audio" or something like that when streaming audio from app or playing music via music app.

So yeah, all works fine.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 01:04:36 by mjt57 »
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal