eye30 · 19 · 3940

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-fighting-life-after-audi-1782977

The man in his 20s is thought to have crashed at speed when he lost control of the red Audi TT, mounted a pavement, tore through a hedge and over two cars at 1.45am
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Holy crap what speed was he doing
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Probably the $10/gram variety
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Perhaps not as fast as thought.

The hedge collapsed probably launching the TT into the air and over the two parked cars into the house. The car in view in the TV report has no damage below the roof line.
Had the hedge not been there the parked cars would probably have absorbed the impact and the house may not have been involved.
The TT bonnet must have popped and flew up after the hedge was hit so was vertical when the car hit the house and almost certainly saving the driver
from even worse injury.

Google streetview shows the approach to the hedge as a long sweeping left hand curve.  Seems the driver lost it and went straight on for some reason.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
bloody idiots.  :disapp: :wacko:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
A car doing 30mph would not have taken off like that.

I vote a definite Richard La Tete...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Or suicide, fail. :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I see a pattern emerging here,don't buy an Audi,they don't stay on the road,they like being up higher than other cars :whistler: :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
"When I got there and saw the car through the hole in the hedge I thought 'That looks serious'.  :rofl:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
who is responsible for the damage,the driver or the cars owner,the car yard.  :undecided: :sweating:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Interesting point. Drink driving so no insurance. I guess you'd have a case against the employer but no doubt it'd drag on forever.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Interesting point. Drink driving so no insurance. I guess you'd have a case against the employer but no doubt it'd drag on forever.

In the U.K. driving offences cannot invalidate third party insurance as it is obligatory.  However, the insurer can (attempt to)  recover any third party pay out but, apparently, there is no record of this  ever happening.

If the driver is not insured (stolen car etc) then the Motor Insurers Bureau has a fund for personal injury claims.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

In the U.K. driving offences cannot invalidate third party insurance as it is obligatory.  However, the insurer can (attempt to)  recover any third party pay out but, apparently, there is no record of this  ever happening.

If the driver is not insured (stolen car etc) then the Motor Insurers Bureau has a fund for personal injury claims.
Third party insurance is part of the registration process here. However (correct me if I'm wrong) that only applies to personal injury to others caused by the accident.
But the car at fault can have it's comprehensive insurance negated. Which means, house and other car owners would have to claim against their own insurance. (I think).
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
S/dude thats the way I understand it as well over here,third party only covers persons of the third party,if you where to have third party property,this would be void if drunk

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
years ago my old man was parked at a red light and a guy ran into the back of his car causing a fair bit of damage to both cars.  :disapp:  it turned out the guy had been drinking a fair bit and you could smell that was the case,he was very apologetic and said he was at fault and had insurance. the usual details were exchanged and my old man told the guy he had better go home before the cops turned up,his insurance repaired both cars and no one was the wiser. but like rick and Trev have mentioned,if your drunk or the person that hits you, your insurance is null and void.  :wink:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I'm pretty sure that if the other person is drunk it's their insurance that is void, not yours.  My late mother was hit by a drunk driver on the way to work one night.  Our insurance company repaired the car, he was up that well known creek without a paddle.

If nobody is drunk or has their insurance void for any reason, then the insurance companies work it out amongst themselves so that the "at fault" person's insurance company pays.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal