i30 Owners Club

Queries re GPS

Offline hammer007

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Good morning

I'm the recent new owner of a 2013 GD i30 premium and I'm struggling with a couple of issues with the GPS and grateful for advice from others if you've managed to solve these.

(1) I can't seem to have the navigation map on screen without also having the radio/usb/cd also playing - is it possible simply to have the map as a navigation tool with spoken instructions without also having the radio playing and if so how do I enable this?
(2) I managed somehow to turn down the volume of the voice instructions because at the time I didn't need to listen to the instructions and wanted to listen to the radio but now I can't work out how to increase the volume of the instructions.
(3) The GPS has an inbuilt fuel economy calculator but mine is all in miles per gallon and I can't find any settings to switch it to kms and litres?
(4) When adding a location to favourites I only seem to be able to add the description in capitals. How do you switch to lower case?

thanks
  • 2013 i30 GD premium

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome to the forum hammer007,

Sadly, I can't help with your problem, but someone will soon.  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
Good morning

I'm the recent new owner of a 2013 GD i30 premium and I'm struggling with a couple of issues with the GPS and grateful for advice from others if you've managed to solve these.

(1) I can't seem to have the navigation map on screen without also having the radio/usb/cd also playing - is it possible simply to have the map as a navigation tool with spoken instructions without also having the radio playing and if so how do I enable this?

Not sure about this one personally, but I'm sure the navigation manual should have it somewhere. I've also wondered the same, as I sometimes prefer to drive in radio silence but need the GPS.
I think this is one of the many faults of this head unit.

(2) I managed somehow to turn down the volume of the voice instructions because at the time I didn't need to listen to the instructions and wanted to listen to the radio but now I can't work out how to increase the volume of the instructions.

Go to Nav mode and enter a destination in, etc. When you've started the trip, press the round button on the side closest to your steering wheel (assuming Right Hand Drive model), then immediately start turning the volume up using the steering wheel controls. That will change the volume for the GPS instructions.

(3) The GPS has an inbuilt fuel economy calculator but mine is all in miles per gallon and I can't find any settings to switch it to kms and litres?

Find the settings section of the GPS (your manual for the GPS will show you where this is), you should be able to set it there.

(4) When adding a location to favourites I only seem to be able to add the description in capitals. How do you switch to lower case?

The on screen keyboard should have a button that has an arrow pointing up, or a button with lowercase letters on it, something like that. Check the manual as well.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the forum, hammer007.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

ouri30
Re the sound on/off:

The only way I have found around this is to use Bluetooth to listen to music on my phone.  You will see a pause control for the player.  This is not available when playing music via USB or CD.

Offline hammer007

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
I've actually solved (1) and (2) at the same time by starting the trip with the radio on and then using the mute button which allows the instructions to be delivered without having to have a cd/usb/radio on.

With all due respect to the suggestions re looking at the manual re the trip computer, the instruction manual I've got such as it is doesn't even mention the trip computer feature let alone how to switch from imperial to metric units for the trip computer.

Thanks for the trip re the up arrow to drop to lower case - I can't recall seeing that but I'll try again tomorrow.
  • 2013 i30 GD premium

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
You should have received a couple of manuals, the first one being for the car, with another one being for the GPS/head unit. It may not have what you're looking for, but it is usually a good place to start.

As far as finding the metric/imperial units settings in the GPS, you're likely I need to be in Nav mode, then tap the quick menu button(it's an on screen menu). You should then be able to scroll through a few options, one of which should be settings. I can't remember it exactly, but there are options there. If not, it may be in the settings of the head unit, to access those, use the physical button on the right hand side, it is the button with the gear/cog wheel icon on it.

Your comments re muting the audio source are good, personally I think the inability of the head unit to run in each mode independently is pretty flawed behaviour. I should be able to use the GPS sans audio/radio.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline hammer007

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
So I've pored through the manual as well as played with all the settings I could find and I've not been able to either enter a favourite in lower case or switch the fuel consumption calculator into metric units.  Can someone with a 2013 GD model please see if the fuel consumption calculator in their car is in metric units?

My GPS unit advises:

Software Version: 9.0.1.3
OS Version: 15E1203070
NNG_MAP Version: 8.5.11.216699
Factory Map Version: AUSNZ11Q3-1
BT Version 2.8.6
Firmware Version 6.0.1_M_GD_5D_3_0

I'm guessing by the numbers on the map version that the dealership didn't install the latest map when the car went in for the 1500km service?
  • 2013 i30 GD premium

ouri30
Think I've found what you need to set the units.  Mine was set up by the dealer.

Display the map and touch Menu on the left bottom of screen.  Touch +More, then Fuel Consumption.  Now touch ^More, followed by down arrow.  Touch Fuel Economy.  You will be presented with four choices.  Touch the one you want to use.  I use l/100 km.

As for Favourites, I haven't experimented.  Let me try.  If I find the answer, I'll post it.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :Agoodpost:

You are a great source of help.

BTW I have set up Karen's replicator, Thanks.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

ouri30

My GPS unit advises:

Software Version: 9.0.1.3
OS Version: 15E1203070
NNG_MAP Version: 8.5.11.216699
Factory Map Version: AUSNZ11Q3-1
BT Version 2.8.6
Firmware Version 6.0.1_M_GD_5D_3_0

I'm guessing by the numbers on the map version that the dealership didn't install the latest map when the car went in for the 1500km service?

Here's OURI30's

Software Version : 9.2.0.5
OS Version : 15E120307
NNG_Map Version : 8.5.11.275416
Factory Map Version : AUSNZ12Q3
BT Version : 3.0.7
Firmware Version: 6.0.11_M_GD_3_0

The vehicle was built 2-2-2013 and delivered just before Easter 2013.

There Santa hasn't been an upgrade.   :oops: Preemptive text. Don't you hate it.

Offline hammer007

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Ouri wins the prize!!!  Thanks very much, it looks obvious now I see how you did that.

Is there a trick to setting the refueling date...... or is it done when you refuel thereby lifted from the satellite signal ?
  • 2013 i30 GD premium

ouri30
Ouri wins the prize!!!  Thanks very much, it looks obvious now I see how you did that.

Is there a trick to setting the refueling date...... or is it done when you refuel thereby lifted from the satellite signal ?

Don't know the answer to the date question.  I've only put in the first refill and can't remember what i did.  it must have been intuitive as I didn't have any issues.

I use an iPhone app (Gas Manager) for my records.  I have records for two vehicles on my phone and can export / import between iPhone and iPad using iCloud.

Offline hammer007

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
The date for refueling is picked up from the GPS signal - I was in the carpark testing and the dates were all reverting back to 1/1/1980 but once outside with a GPS location fixed it will record the refueling as at the date of entry - unfortunately I can't go backwards in time so the first 3 tanks of fuel are all on the same day but nevertheless I'm extremely pleased to have this function working.  The i30 really is a magic small car.
  • 2013 i30 GD premium

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal