How to stay safe, and legal, abroad - UK and europe

eye30 · 20 · 3872

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Driving abroad can be a minefield for the unprepared motorist, so here we round up essential information for staying safe and within the law when driving on the continent - as well as some of the quirkier local customs that can catch unsuspecting British drivers...

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2315190/How-stay-safe-legal-drive-abroad.html?ico=money^editors_choice
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Unlikely to be of help to me Lester (in the short term at least) but thanks on behalf of our other members  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
They didn't mention the most important one.

DO NOT drive on the left.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Having been to the UK 5 times and driven on their motorways, I shudder at the speeds of some of the vehicles whipping past at 90 mph plus, rain, hail or shine, albeit the limit is 70 mph. :Shocked:

So generally I take the A roads and if I have to go on the motorways in my 4 cylinder rental car, I stick to the No.1 or nearside lane, @ 50 to 60 mph, with the heavy vehicles, overtaking at times of course.

I like to check out the scenery in England's green and pleasant land. :razz:

About time the UK Traffic Police got stuck in started knocking off these jokers, give 'em to 75 mph then in the book. What say ye? :evil:

Yes, I know, Uncle Lester is a retired traffic cop. :lol:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Absolutely.  :goodjob:
The government needs the money.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My times on UK roads do reveal a bit of a split personality in the UK motorist, a touch of conservative village haycart with Euro Obahn. Sadly, that equates to very different speeds on the same motorways, which can't be good.  :eek:

Having said that, at least they don't show the village idiot characteristic all too common in Adelaide of failing to keep left.  :rolleyes:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Having been to the UK 5 times and driven on their motorways, I shudder at the speeds of some of the vehicles whipping past at 90 mph plus, rain, hail or shine, albeit the limit is 70 mph. :Shocked:

One of those was probably, Alan.  :mrgreen: :lol:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW

No not Alan, all the i30 drivers were behaving themselves.  Those idiots in the Beemers and Audis think they are Stirling Moss or Jack Brabham, blast from the past there. :Shocked:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

No not Alan, all the i30 drivers were behaving themselves.  Those idiots in the Beemers and Audis think they are Stirling Moss or Jack Brabham, blast from the past there. :Shocked:
Pretty sure Alam had Audis before his i30s. :whistler:

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
BTW, where is Alan?   Doing doughnuts around the M25 in his i30?   Perhaps he sold it and is now in the Audi Club. :Shocked: :head_butt:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Yes, perhaps he became an "Audi Partner."  ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
A little blue pill or two and he may have become a Rootin' Tootin' Audi Pardner.  :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Marca

• 2nd Gear
In the UK it's very rare you won't get passed at 100mph plus on a motorway by several speed freaks, it's all good though.
 You tend to see all vans doing the max they'll go, smaller unlimited trucks doing over 80mph at there limits, and as already said, people in the bmw's & audi's in there own little games of 'more power'.

It all works really good though, police won't pull you if you're doing around 80mph, and you'll only get a slap on the wrist, depending on the cop, if you're at 90mph. Sometimes you'll get a ticket, other times not...
 You can get away with 100mph plus, but you're really playing with fire there depending on who catches you, because that's an automatic ban from driving & licence removal speed.

Good to know if you're in the UK and like flying around, just for the guys on about A roads... They are just the same as motorways to the most part, except you're much more likely to get in trouble for 100mph realm stuff on two lane traffic, but again the rest applies.

Speed is good anyway, the roads are capable of it safely & there's very little point in going less than 80mph unless you're in a rust bucket or afraid, basically  :happydance:
  • honda accord

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
With all this speeding it makes you wonder how the UK could possibly have less fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants when you compare it to Australia.  :whistler:

Hmm, maybe Australia is going about it all wrong...  :undecided:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
With all this speeding it makes you wonder how the UK could possibly have less fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants when you compare it to Australia.  :whistler:

Hmm, maybe Australia is going about it all wrong...  :undecided:
I'd be more interested in the fatalities per klm travelled TBH.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
As we have stated before the biggest threat on the roads here tends to drive a van, usually white.  These vehicles are designed to go everywhere on the red line in every gear and are often configured to go backwards just as quickly as they go forwards.  Everybody else is zipping about just trying to keep out of the way of the van driving fruitcakes.  All Audi and BMW drivers are actually van drivers on their day off.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Pretty much on par, Trev.... :)
So, less than 5 deaths per billion kilometers travelled in both the UK and Australia. Which tells me the higher deaths per 100,000 inhabitants figures are irrelevant.

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
As we have stated before the biggest threat on the roads here tends to drive a van, usually white.  These vehicles are designed to go everywhere on the red line in every gear and are often configured to go backwards just as quickly as they go forwards.  Everybody else is zipping about just trying to keep out of the way of the van driving fruitcakes.  All Audi and BMW drivers are actually van drivers on their day off.

THE WHITE VAN MAN.'    Couriers/Delivery vehicles, yes we have those too, lunatics they are.
I was warned in the UK about them.
  • FD i30 Trophy

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal