i30 Owners Club

Hello everyone, long time forum reader ready to join :)

Jesse91 · 28 · 6541

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Hey my name is Jesse, I have always been a reader of forums but have never joined one until now :) I am a massive fan of diy and can't wait to start crossing things of my "to do list"

My first car I ever had since I got my license was a 1994 Toyota Camry Sedan (Clarabelle) she was my pride and joy that I bought for $1700 whilst fruit picking up in north QLD. I had done many things to her including remote central locking, remote boot release, power windows in the front, sunglasses holder (from a VY commodore) body coloured mirrors and door handles, and many many other things you would do to a first time car to make her look nice and clean.

Then in January I said goodbye (and cried) to my Camry with 370,000kms on the clock, and said hello to a blue 2008 Hyundai I30 diesel 1.6L Manual SLX. I had been keeping my eye out for about 6 months wanting those exact specs (blue, slx, 1.6l, manual) and spotted one on carsales on a Thursday night for a great price, went and looked at it on the Saturday, then drove it home the next. I was so excited and I still can't believe that that is my car sometimes. I love it so much.   

Sorry if I have bored you  :eek: but that is the story of "Percy".

My to do list included;
-Electric folding mirrors (from a CW when I find one) controlled by remote lock
-Bonnet Struts
-Auto windows remote roll up module
-Reversing cam with monitor (most likely in rear vision mirror)
-12v plug in boot
-17" wheels (preferably from an SR)
-Tow bar (really want to try and get a class 4 with the removable hitch) :goodjob:
-cruise control with factory steering wheel button
-front headlights upgrade maybe black or charcoal color, would really love some halo drls
-led tail lights
-spoiler
-switch my head unit for one with bluetooth
- various small chrome things like boot latch from grill
-some chrome door foot well pillars (maybe led ones)
- and painted gold calipers to gain an extra 25kw

As always the list keeps on growing, so far all I have done apart from servicing is add mudflaps, and a custom gps/phone mount. If you have any questions or comments feel free to say, thanks for reading :)
  • Hyundai i30

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome Jesse91
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome Jesse91.
That's quite a list but you've got a great car.  :goodjob2:
Consider painting the calipers red because it's worth 30 kw.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Welcome, mate, great intro and a great car. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Yo d0000000000000000000d, welcome aboard...  and when you've got through that list pop round here I have loads of things need doing   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
 :wttc:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Jesse

Great into! (not boring at all)

You've got a great car (but you already worked that out)

Being as the FD has been superseded you may need to grab some of the bits for those mods sooner rather than later (you might get others from wrecking yards and such though)

My to do list included;
-Electric folding mirrors (from a CW when I find one) controlled by remote lock (sounds good)
-Bonnet Struts (Fairly easy mod)
-Auto windows remote roll up module (Nice)
-Reversing cam with monitor (most likely in rear vision mirror) (Yep, good idea)
-12v plug in boot (CW gets this - not too hard to do)
-17" wheels (preferably from an SR) (very expensive new, scarce second hand?)
-Tow bar (really want to try and get a class 4 with the removable hitch) :goodjob:
-cruise control with factory steering wheel button (There is a how-to on here)
-front headlights upgrade maybe black or charcoal color, would really love some halo drls (Could be expensive, not easy to convert silver ones)
-led tail lights (I would recommend aftermarket light modules rather than conversion -need to grab sooner rather than later)
-spoiler (could get scarce, but might pick up one from wreckers if can't find a new one)
-switch my head unit for one with bluetooth (Bluetooth module - incorporated with existing unit or stand alone would be cheaper)
- various small chrome things like boot latch from grill
-some chrome door foot well pillars (maybe led ones) Not sure what they look like?
- and painted gold calipers to gain an extra 25kw (gold goes well with blue)

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome aboard, Jesse91,

You're going to be a busy person for a while with a list like that. It would be much appreciated if you could post b4 and after shots of each mod so we can all watch your car develop.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Thanks for you comments guys  :D I will try to put up as many pictures as I can, do you just use a hosting site?

Dazzler these are those foot well things I mentioned,

chrome - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chrome-Hyundai-i30-Aluminium-Door-Scuff-Sill-Plates-/230629259063?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b2933737
Led - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hyundai-i30-Blue-Light-illuminated-LED-Door-Sill-Protector-Panel-Scuff-Plate-/281067436887

I am hoping to get most of my stuff 2nd hand (wheels, mirrors etc) I used to be at the wreckers like every week taking stuff for my Camry but now its different because there would always be like 10 Camry's and there are never any I30s haha

also I know I could get an extra 5kw with red calipers but like Dazzler said I think gold goes really good with blue :)
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Jesse,

I have those on my Hybrid. I call them Sill plates.

Yes, we just use a hosting site like photobucket (tutorial in the welcome section)

You could get some nice gold alloys  :idea: :happydance:

Like I have seen on some blue WRX's  :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks for you comments guys  :D I will try to put up as many pictures as I can, do you just use a hosting site?

Dazzler these are those foot well things I mentioned,

chrome - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chrome-Hyundai-i30-Aluminium-Door-Scuff-Sill-Plates-/230629259063?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b2933737
Led - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hyundai-i30-Blue-Light-illuminated-LED-Door-Sill-Protector-Panel-Scuff-Plate-/281067436887

I am hoping to get most of my stuff 2nd hand (wheels, mirrors etc) I used to be at the wreckers like every week taking stuff for my Camry but now its different because there would always be like 10 Camry's and there are never any I30s haha

also I know I could get an extra 5kw with red calipers but like Dazzler said I think gold goes really good with blue :)

G'day and welcome....

Keep an eye on ebay, there are quite a few I30s that are being wrecked on there.

Normally they advertise a wheel nut for .99 and say they rest is up for grabs. You may find the mirror mod is available from Ebay for a reasonable price
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome aboard.  :razz:  there is an Sr on eBay being wrecked and its still got the rims on it.  :idea: :winker:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

welcome aboard.  :razz:  there is an Sr on eBay being wrecked and its still got the rims on it.  :idea: :winker:

Wheels off a wreck might be a worry (wonder how much to have them x rayed for cracks)  :undecided:

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Welcome aboard, above all enjoy.  Most of us are mad, but it helps. :whistler:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Wheels off a wreck might be a worry (wonder how much to have them x rayed for cracks)  :undecided:
You worry too much, Dazz. The tyres will keep the pieces together! :rolleyes:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You worry too much, Dazz. The tyres will keep the pieces together! :rolleyes:

Of course (just like a big rubber band)  :rofl: :head_butt:

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Thanks but I couldn't find it anywhere probably not in qld anyway, but now that you mention it probably not a good idea taking them off a wreck, guess my only way would be if someone with an SR has changed there wheels ( don't know why they would I think they look awesome). Maybe my best beat would be just buy some aftermarket ones with similar style.
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks but I couldn't find it anywhere probably not in qld anyway, but now that you mention it probably not a good idea taking them off a wreck, guess my only way would be if someone with an SR has changed there wheels ( don't know why they would I think they look awesome). Maybe my best beat would be just buy some aftermarket ones with similar style.

The plastic chrome inserts make them look flash but they have been known to deteriorate over time.

There are far more affordable similar wheels available (Gold would be nice)  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hyundai-I30-SR-Rims-and-Tyres-set-of-4-/151030857510?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232a23ff26

Only $900 plus freight......

Thanks Beerman .. Bit more info (by the seller) would be nice .. Including photos of all four wheels and info about how much tread on tyres etc.. (I see they are Continentals) :goodjob: (But may be bald)  :confused:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that's the car,great find beerman.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:  to buy them new i was quoted by Hyundai $2750.  :faint:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

that's the car,great find beerman.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:  to buy them new i was quoted by Hyundai $2750.  :faint:

Or you can have them off a wreck with (probably) bald tyres for "only" $900 + freight .. I think I would pass  :whistler: :snigger:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Or you can have them off a wreck with (probably) bald tyres for "only" $900 + freight .. I think I would pass  :whistler: :snigger:

I'm with you Dazz,plus I have never been a big lover of the choice of Hyundai mags,very ordinary for my liking,so much choice out there and if you shop around you can get wheel and tyre packages for around $1000 to $1200,why for the life of me why would you buy wheels off a wreck or second hand wheels for that sort of money.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
$900 is a lot of coin for second hand wheels....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline SandRsSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Guildford, Western Australia

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Agreed... For $900 I think he is dreaming  :Shocked: Thats okay I have probably like another 6-12months left on my tyres so I have until then to find some nicer rims. I like do gold rims on blue cars.. I'm just not sure if I like gold rims on "my" car haha
  • Hyundai i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I had gold mags on my blue Commodore years ago and I really grew to dislike them...  :fum:

I would also ask why there aren't 5!

I would suspect that if the vehicle has been pranged, one rim was probably stuffed.

I'm assuming he's just added the spare to make up the four...  :whistler:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal