Push for DPF's in Australia?

Dazzler · 21 · 3499

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This is pre election "Green" environment credibility seeking BS, and typical of the crapola that the average Aussie, gets fed and consumes quite readily.

Diesels have been in Australia for many years. With or without DPF's engine technology is vastly different to 20 years ago. Such efficiency gains have been made that 4 - 5 l / 100 k's is becoming the accepted standard, so therefore, compared to 20 years ago, we are burning much less fuel than then, for each km travelled. To burn less fuel but still drive the same distance, an engine has to be more efficient, which means less emissions across the board, not just particulates.

Comparing our pollution levels with Europe is like comparing chalk & cheese. Take just 1 parameter like, how many diesels / sq km, then do the same comparison for Australia, not to mention their climate, terrain etc.

The Green's logic is a joke, as is the whole party. IMO  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They will come, unfortunately  :disapp:

Offline rumcajs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Addy, SA
Like it or not, its happening -->

Vehicle Emissions Standards - Australia

On 11 June 2011, the Minister for Infrastructure and Transport, the Hon Anthony Albanese MP announced that Euro 5 emissions standards will commence in Australia for new model vehicles from 1 November 2013 and for existing models from 1 November 2016. Euro 6 emissions standards will commence for new model vehicles from 1 July 2017 and for existing models from 1 July 2018.

We oughta be glad Australia is not following US Emissions standards because that would put us into Euro 6 category now.

While these technologies do reduce the emissions especially NOx and PM they come at the price and reliability to the consumer, so I guess most of us will not partake in it even if the fuel consumption is lower than petrol fueled vehicles so we will be back to driving petrol cars. I know I will cause I see what emission tech adds to costs operating  heavy vehicles today and sure as hell I'm not willing to pay that premium even though its better for the environment thus me too.
Unfortunately we all going to pay the price for Australia's attitude to shift cost of transport on to private individual.

Cheers

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:19:56 by rumcajs »
  • i30 SX MY11

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :agreed:

It's a bit like weeing into the wind, really.

It could easily spell the end of a beautiful friendship with the diesel engine, for me. :'(

ouri30
:agreed:

It's a bit like weeing into the wind, really.

It could easily spell the end of a beautiful friendship with the diesel engine, for me. :'(

I drive an ix35 which I am led to believe has a particulate filter.  I don't have any issues with it.  It is my opinion that if we drive a diesel we have a responsibility to reduce pollutants and if that means changes to vehicle technology, then so be it.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort

To burn less fuel but still drive the same distance, an engine has to be more efficient, which means less emissions across the board, not just particulates.

Comparing our pollution levels with Europe is like comparing chalk & cheese. Take just 1 parameter like, how many diesels / sq km, then do the same comparison for Australia, not to mention their climate, terrain etc.

The Green's logic is a joke, as is the whole party. IMO  :fum:

Well as long as you keep them all spread out over the whole of Australia it won't cause any health problems I'm sure. But maybe not quite possible for the commute into Melbourne and other cities.

The only real measured problem here is pollution in London and other big cities. I'm only in a medium sized town and I've been choked by diesel fumes walking along some roads. Cough.

Apart from that the Aussie coal industry is the worst thing for the world climate. You have loads of coal-fired stations and export millions of tons to China and elsewhere. Cough, cough.

No wonder the atmospheric CO2 level is now at levels not seen for 3 million years.  :D

Ne'er mind, I'm old and have no kiddies so what do I care eh.  :mrgreen:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
My point exactly, compared to coal, it's like focussing on the effects of a camp fire compared to a bushfire. The air in cities would be cleaner even in Oz, but at the cost of increased fuel consumption. Choking from Diesel only occurs when engines are poorly maintained, tossing out plumes of dirty black smoke.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I do become somewhat concerned when a trendy yet unscientifically treated notion is adopted by politicians. :rolleyes:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I do become somewhat concerned when a trendy yet unscientifically treated notion is adopted by politicians. :rolleyes:

I get worried when pollies pick up on something that isn't proven.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

I get worried when pollies start talking!!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I get worried when pollies start talking!!

I just get worried.
  • Tertius the i30

Pip
There seems to be good reason to think a lot of (unnatural) stuff we stick into the environment is bad for us. Come on guys... diesel combustion produces some bad stuff. It's a good idea to trap it. What I don't like is the method decided on but what is the alternative?

We are a long way off but electricity produced from clean sources, i.e., solar, is perhaps the long term answer even if it means a very much reduced trip per charge than now.

There might be something in the future we haven't even imagined yet.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Come on guys... diesel combustion produces some bad stuff. It's a good idea to trap it. What I don't like is the method decided on but what is the alternative?

A bit of old pantyhose stretched over the end of the exhaust with a big preserving jar rubber band to hold it on... (just use a new piece every day) Easy peasy  :whistler: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
There seems to be good reason to think a lot of (unnatural) stuff we stick into the environment is bad for us. Come on guys... diesel combustion produces some bad stuff. It's a good idea to trap it. What I don't like is the method decided on but what is the alternative?

We are a long way off but electricity produced from clean sources, i.e., solar, is perhaps the long term answer even if it means a very much reduced trip per charge than now.

There might be something in the future we haven't even imagined yet.

Well Pip, what is this bad stuff. Nitrous oxide, which is not trapped by DPF, Carbon, one of the most plentiful substances in the universe.

Hydrogen is the answer. It's all been figured out, but the fuel companies are not going to give up their monopoly easily, especially when governments worldwide, are dependent on income from fossil fuels.

Pip
I'm not so sure hydrogen is the easy answer but it's true the by-product is just water. Problem is making it; not easy nor cheap although most people think the expected source is water (H2O) of which the "H" is obviously hydrogen, I think its manufacture is usually from methane which has a carbon bonded with a couple of hydrogen. The process to separate the hydrogen is not simple. Storing it under great pressure in your vehicle is another concern.  Fuel cells which make hydrogen on-board are maybe a possibility but this is still not there and may never be.

I really don't know but until the oil runs out...  :happydance:

Just thought I'd add that the hydrogen was once used in lighter than air vehicles until it proved to be too dangerous. Think Hindenburg.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal