i30 Owners Club

Free Range Eggs

Lakes · 60 · 12250

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi all. just wondering what everyone's view on free range egg's?
I personally normally just buy egg's, but a close friend's wife has very strong view's on the subject. she won't eat egg's from a chook that has been penned up all it's life;
I think animal's should be free .
Also another lady I know thinks the same way but has cats that are in cages .so I can't work that one out. :whistler: :)
cheers

ouri30
I personally normally just buy egg's, but a close friend's wife has very strong view's on the subject. she won't eat egg's from a chook that has been penned up all it's life;
Also another lady I know thinks the same way but has cats that are in cages .so I can't work that one out. :whistler: :)
cheers

Besides the views on animal cruelty, which have merit no doubt, th eggs themselves have a differnt appearance when cracked open and then there is taste quality.

And regarding the cats, I guess cats don't lay eggs.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Never cracked a cat r eaten it either.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
cheers

:lol: Yeah, there are a lot of hypocrites about .. Like people who go to church while sleeping with their Neighbour's wife (well not at the exact same time)

Personally I won't eat battery hens (unless they've used batteries without Mercury in them)  :whistler:

Most of the eggs we eat are free range (from friends or family) but TBH I don't find the taste of them that much different to the supermarket ones. :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
battery farming hens for egg production is unbelievable cruel, and then after they are no use as layers their slaughter is equally cruel.   The get hung up on a hook attached to a conveyor which is supposed to dispatch them quickly and painlessly needless to say they lines are never well maintained and since the peeps working there are on minimum wage they usually don't give a f**k anyhow...   In fact not too long ago at one of our largest poultry suppliers the staff where tossing the turkeys up in the air and seeing how many times they could bat it with a bar before they actually died...

Still I eat eggs, meat, fish and....  well my view is, there is plenty of room for all Gods creatures, right next to the carrots n mash on my plate.  So I am as guilty as the cruel bastards who do all that shit  <sigh> 

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I personally only buy free range eggs, either from the supermarket or from our neighbours (or at the local market).  I have seen battery hens first hand as a young teenager, and the conditions are horrific.  Yes, the eggs cost slightly more, but I do notice the difference between the colours of the yolks and the quality of the shells.

cheers

I also don't think the cats end up looking like this.

http://nocagedeggs.com/caged-eggs.htm

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Couldn't agree more Fatboy. We pay extra for free range and are still being conned. The definition of free range in a commercial sense, is hundreds of chooks penned up in a shed with food distributed on the floor. Sure they're not caged, but it's not true free range either.

Caging chickens is downright cruel. After 12 months, they are given steroid food to fatten them up. The trucks full of chickens regularly travel our freeway and I can tell by the odd white feather, that there is one up ahead. I get really sad about seeing them knowing what their fate is, in the next hour. :'(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
mmm ITS SUNDAY!!! that means eggs and bacon...

i'm gonna go cook some right now!!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just to show how ignorant I am, I still had never heard the term battery hens so I've learnt something from this post :-[  so what is a battery hen? I like chooks they smell a bit if the owner does not keep there living quarters clean. but they harm no one & just run around looking for business like a used car salesman  :lol: but they mean no one harm so deserve to be treated equally. the cat is a killer, but I meet a cat yesterday that even my cat haiting friend gave it a pat ( that was a big surprise ) it was a Scottish Fold i'd never meet one but he was a lovely friendly fellow.
after this i'll stick to free range eggs, But as Rusty has pointed out its more barn layed eggs, I said to my friend Jean, how can you be sure free range are as freash, when the hens could lay them anywhere. so the term is miss leading. I love all animals but don't have any, still feed the birds and like to have a bird bath out for the hot days in dry weather.
 & thanks to you all, like ASA points out we would have to be 100% vegetarian not to be guilty, not saying that we aren't just i'm not but would not mind being one as once when I was in hospital they only feed vegetarian food & I felt really good when I got out then went back to normal eating & not feeling as good but not too bad eather, if you can understand what I mean
cheers

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Barn eggs are the best to eat
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
mmm ITS SUNDAY!!! that means eggs and bacon...

i'm gonna go cook some right now!!
Ian how was the poor Babe murdered,  love bancon n eggs too
cheers

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
2 rashers, 2 blAck pudding, egg sunnyside up, round of toast and a healthy splog of brown sauce.

All washed down with a mug of rosie lea
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I love my eggs. I have them for breakfast EVERY morning.....
And I've tried free range and el cheapo eggs and to be honest, I don't think there is bugger all difference in taste.

As for free range only costing slightly more? Bollocks! I buy home brand eggs for $2.39 a dozen and have seen true free range eggs for more than $7.00....
Most of these so called free range eggs are as Phil says. True free range chooks are those that get to wander around outside and eat grass and other crap....

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/free-to-range-or-not-have-supermarkets-egg-on-their-faces-20130303-2fefx.html

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
True free range eggs are the best,no Hormones,dyes or indirect pesticides,as for intensive farming,even though we do not agree with it, it is never going to stop,even with the statements if we stop buying the stuff it will stop, this is a ridiculous and bullshit statement, it will never stop,only way to stop it is to destroy half of human life on earth.thats not going to happen,so due to the ever increasing population that has to be fed,intensive farming and animal cruelty is only going to be on the increase,do I agree with it NO, do I like it NO, is it ever going to stop I Very Much Doubt it,anywhere in any animal invovled industry a human is invovled there will always be animal cruelty,maybe if they start intensive farming humans and cutting sexual organs off,so the majority can't breed,ripping teeth out so they can't damage each other when penned ten to a small 5x5 room,force fed hormone filled food,then senslessy have their throats cut,or a bolt shot into their heads at a certain age when someone has decided it is their time to be turned into something else,to benefit the rest of the worlds population,maybe things will start changing for the animals.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Pip
I grew up on an egg farm in the 50s. Free range was how it was done in those days. I can't remember how many to the acre we had but there was always lots of space to walk around. Any time during the day we could always do repairs or some clean up, egg collection etc and there would only be a few dozen chooks in the shed, the other thousands were outside eating grass. Paddocks were rotated when grass got thin.

Free range eggs don't break before I get them home and the whites do not fill the fry pan like water when I break them. How free range they are though is anyone's guess but my guess is nothing like it was in the day.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Pip I haven't seen a free range poultry farm like that for years,but I can remember as  kid we used to get invited to one just outside of Adelaide towards Tailem Bend,we used to think it was great to go on what the farm kids called the egg hunt,like you said you didn't have to treat the eggs like thin crystal glasses
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Geez, some of the free range eggs I've had have had paper thin shells...
And, I've had the odd black putrid one which nearly caused me to gag when I've cracked it into the frying pan...  :sicky:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Geez, some of the free range eggs I've had have had paper thin shells...
And, I've had the odd black putrid one which nearly caused me to gag when I've cracked it into the frying pan...  :sicky:
:rofl: :rofl: yes we water test all the free range eggs we get for that very reason,I have never had a black putrid one but had some fairly smelly ones until we started testing them before cracking them,as the the thin shells obviously the person/s your getting your eggs from is not looking after their chooks properly,more shell grit needed.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That's right Rick, laugh at other people's misfortune.... :Pout:  :lol:

And yes, I agree with the shell grit bit....

Tis ok now though, I was only eating free range because my then girlfriend wouldn't allow nasty cruel el cheapo eggs in her house...  :snigger:

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear
  • Purrrrfect (AKA Radar...)

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
I buy barn laid eggs.  I will not buy cage eggs as I see no reason for cruelty.   :disapp:

I wish we could treat our future dinners more kindly.  Sometimes I think the term 'humanely' depends on which direction you look at it from.   :workitout:
  • Dark Knight Kona Highlander 1.6l turbo aka Connor

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
@kittikat, I agree, the thought of loading chooks into noisy trucks and transporting them under stress to be plucked out by the feet and electrocuted is just woeful to me.  :fum: :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :whsaid:

Free range for this little black duck.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Free range is ok for all you rich buggers....  :p

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'm not a bitch rugger.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
As I said Phil,will it ever change,I very much doubt it,I once had the job of pulling these chickens from their cramped crates and hanging them on the processing chains,to have their heads dragged throughan electrified vat of water,to simply stun them,so they where still alive and hearts beating,then to have their throats cut so they would bleed out properly,Yes will it ever stop,no it is all about economics and the almighty dollar to these industries,there is absolutely no thought for the animals,don't get me started on the other slaughter houses and what has been know to go on in them,is the whole world going to go Vegan,I don't think so,unfortunately we are omnivours,I like my meat meals like many others so I am as guilty for the animal cruelty as the next meat eating person, By the way all you moderators what has happened to the spell checker it has disappeared,so this post is probably full of mistakes. Get it fixed you lot  :rofl:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
As I said Phil,will it ever change,I very much doubt it,I once had the job of pulling these chickens from their cramped crates and hanging them on the processing chains,to have their heads dragged throughan electrified vat of water,to simply stun them,so they where still alive and hearts beating,then to have their throats cut so they would bleed out properly,Yes will it ever stop,no it is all about economics and the almighty dollar to these industries,there is absolutely no thought for the animals,don't get me started on the other slaughter houses and what has been know to go on in them,is the whole world going to go Vegan,I don't think so,unfortunately we are omnivours,I like my meat meals like many others so I am as guilty for the animal cruelty as the next meat eating person, By the way all you moderators what has happened to the spell checker it has disappeared,so this post is probably full of mistakes. Get it fixed you lot  :rofl:
Not moderators. We're not guilty Your Honour. (Note the capitals  :goodjob:)
It's a job for the administrators.

Get it fixed you two. :wink:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

By the way all you moderators what has happened to the spell checker it has disappeared,so this post is probably full of mistakes. Get it fixed you lot  :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You are a funny man, Richard.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Moderators,Administrators all the same to a simpleton like me  :rofl: :rofl:

I don't care who's job it is, :disapp: get it done PPL or I may become upset  :snigger: you really don't want an upset NB(R)

As for you David  :whistler:,I think I am a funny man  :twisted: in more ways than one  :snigger:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Here you go John, battery chickens........

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Moderators,Administrators all the same to a simpleton like me  :rofl: :rofl:

I don't care who's job it is, :disapp: get it done PPL or I may become upset  :snigger: you really don't want an upset NB(R)

As for you David  :whistler:,I think I am a funny man  :twisted: in more ways than one  :snigger:

Funny ha ha or funny queer?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal