i30 Owners Club

Nail in tyre

Jesse91 · 13 · 4088

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Hi guys cleaned my car today and found this..

:eek:

Tyre is still wet because I just washed it, but that brown thing is a nail and I'm not sure whether I should either

a. Pull it out
b. don't touch it and just leave it
c. head to a tyre place and ask them to remove it

I don't know how long its been there but I don't think its effecting the tyre pressure as I regularly check my pressure and haven't noticed any dramatic change.
what do you think?
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'd take it to a tyre place.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'd take it to the tyre shop. A puncture repair costs about 30 dollars.

BTW I have a conspiracy theory that tyre shop owners go around at night dropping nails on the road, which might explain the number of screws and nails I've had to get removed from my tyres.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I think you will find the tyre is scrap as they won't fix a puncture within, I think, an inch of the sidewall....assuming it is actually punctured of course.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
BTW I have a conspiracy theory that tyre shop owners go around at night dropping nails on the road

Probably right haha and panel beaters rolling trollies around in car parks
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
I think you will find the tyre is scrap as they won't fix a puncture within, I think, an inch of the sidewall....assuming it is actually punctured of course.

Yeah thats why I was wondering if I should even bother taking to a shop I might not even be punctured, I'll probably keep and eye on it.

I had a screw in the same spot on my old car, went to bob jane they said they couldn't do anything because it was to close to the side but didn't have a spare tyre to match. So I went to tyre power to look for a tyre and the guy fixed it for $22 and I never had any problems, I was pretty happy with that.
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Jesse, PM our Tyre Guru (Surferdude) if he doesn't spot this thread soon. He will know the best action  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
What are those other couple of raised objects in the background, more nails?  :undecided:

I wouldn't be just leaving the nail in and hoping for the best, I'd at least swap wheels over with your spare.

And If the tyre service can't plug it, it might be worth putting a tube in and just keeping it as your spare.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
You can't legally repair a tyre with a hole in that area. If a dealer did, that's fine but I promise you, eventually the patch part of the repair will peel off on the inside,due to the flexing of the tyre as it rolls along the road.

With regards the one in the picture, if it's not losing air, get along to a dealer sooner rather than later because eventually the point will work it's way through into the tyre. But be at a dealer when you pull it out, in case it does start to leak. If there's only a very small hole, it could be plugged by the nail but flexing will enlarge that.

BTW. A $22 repair sounds like they used one of those "push through from the outside" plugs, which are actually meant only as a temporary repair.

What Rusty says about using a tube (with a patch over the hole) will work but you need to be guided by someone who has looked INSIDE the tyre.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Thanks for all your feedback guys! I will swap it over with my spare tomorrow and then get to a tyre shop for them to check it out. I don't want to take any risks

What are those other couple of raised objects in the background, more nails?  :undecided:
Just rubber parts of the tyre (tread markers maybe), I made sure I checked all my other tires for more foreign objects lol

BTW. A $22 repair sounds like they used one of those "push through from the outside" plugs, which are actually meant only as a temporary repair.

Which I was never told, dodgy fellers... Thanks for the great information surfer dude!
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks for all your feedback guys! I will swap it over with my spare tomorrow and then get to a tyre shop for them to check it out. I don't want to take any risks

Just rubber parts of the tyre (tread markers maybe), I made sure I checked all my other tires for more foreign objects lol

Which I was never told, dodgy fellers... Thanks for the great information surfer dude!
The tyre looks pretty new. Is your car only new?
If there is a hole there, I'd almost certainly put a tube patch inside the tyre and fit a tube. And as Rusty says, keep it as a spare.

BTW. If you send me a pm and tell me what suburb you're in (I can see your city because I have Moderator access but won't mention it on the open forum), I MAY be able to suggest someone who'll give you an honest opinion.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I had a nail in the rear tyre of my new car after 1 week.

The nail was in a similar place as this .

When they took it out the nail had gone in at an angle and only the smallest of a pin point was actually visable inside.

So they could repair it with a patch.

That was 1 year ago and all has been ok since.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Nah my cars a 2008 I'm not that rich haha I only work part time, but had new tyres all around just before I bough it, I think it was back in October last year
  • Hyundai i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal