i30 Owners Club

Slight Diesel Hunting

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
I've noticed over the past week or so that my car has a slight 'bouncing' of revs when starting from cold or hunting I think its called. I've experienced this before in a much more aggressive way with a Nissan Almera CRDI I had a few years back which struggled to maintain idling reves when starting in very cold weather. It was eventually traced to a switch on the fuel pump and turned out to be a common and expensive fault at £147+fitting. My i30 is no where near as bad, the rev counter doesn't even move but I can hear the revs bouncing. So far it sorts its self after 5 or 6 seconds and I'm not too concerned but I wondered if anyone else had experienced this? 
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Not ours, but they're both autos. 5-6 seconds wouldn't concern me at all. When you consider, from rest, what changes are happening inside the engine all at once I would consider that perfectly acceptable, I note however that you say this is a new development. Our cars idle for at least 30-40 seconds, to allow oil to circulate and the engine to settle, check gauges, seatbelts, & clearances before moving etc.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Might be worth a squirt of Diesel Injector cleaner  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jaspa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      S E Queensland
Hi Succulent,
I have same problem with an added puff of smoke,has been doing so for 18 + mths.First start only then ok for rest of day.Numerous trips to dealer and they have found "metal fragments "in the injector pump!!..Dealer said warranty fix....Hyundai Aus have cried "contaminated fuel"
I have said 120,000ks and not a hiccup or miss nor breakdown.....I think I would hve noticed
any "fuel" issues.....and the dealer would have certainly heard......Am not HAPPY!! as this is a 12k
fix...
Mine is a 2008 i30 crdi slx

BEWARNED......

• 2008 i30 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Jaspa..

Sorry to hear that (are you going to try and fight the ruling)

The words "ombudsman" or "Today Tonight" can be effective at times.. :winker:   
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jaspa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      S E Queensland
yeh going to give it a whirl,as far as i am concerned its a warranty fix(according to the dealer).
It looks like I am getting the cold shoulder from Hyundai as have not even received an aknowledgement to my emails even after confirming(by phone) that they were received,so looks like I will be taking it to the next level.

regards
  • 2008 i30 crdi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal