i30 Owners Club

Enhanced Lubrication with ZX1

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Whilst browsing http://tuning-diesels.com/index2n.htm I came acros a list of Tips on this page http://tuning-diesels.com/dfacts3.htm
This one caught my eye.
Add ZX-1 to the engine, transmission, steering, cooling and fuel to vastly reduce friction, improve cold start protection and help power and economy. The only additive I know of with a Nato stock number.

So my curiosity aroused I followed the link to the supplier at http://team-zx1.co.uk/noflash.cfm The Australian Distributor is here http://www.zx1aust.com/ (UK supplies through Halfrauds and others. Save a few pounds on ebay too)

It could be a good idea in older vehicles, not sure it would be needed when new. However the 'used in motor racing' blurb on the ZX1 site makes one wonder?

The range of uses in other applications seems to make it too good to be true. Although the list of named High Profile satisfied users would be difficult to get away with if it were just a scam.

I am intrigued, I must admit. Has anyone come across it being used to good effect?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Never heard of it before, but am also intrigued. Gonna read up about that stuff.

Thanks TBY
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
UPDATE

I wondered if this stuff could cause problems for those of us with Particulate Filters so I emailed ZX1 and asked about the possibility. This was the reply...
ZX1 is a non-particulate Metal Treatment so is suitable for all engines

I think that means no ash products result from the use of ZX1 in the engine oil to get into the exhaust stream so I might just give it a go.

Pip
UPDATE

I wondered if this stuff could cause problems for those of us with Particulate Filters so I emailed ZX1 and asked about the possibility. This was the reply...
ZX1 is a non-particulate Metal Treatment so is suitable for all engines

I think that means no ash products result from the use of ZX1 in the engine oil to get into the exhaust stream so I might just give it a go.

Forgive my skepticism, but how will you evaluate its performance?
How will you know if it's snake oil or other?

And even if you get better economy, how will you know if that is not brought about by lower oil viscosity?  I guarantee that using lower viscosity oil will improve your economy but may not improve your engine - granted, within limits may not hurt it either.

I have no knowledge of this or similar products but simply offer caution.

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi Pip,

You recognise my caution. As an ordinary motorist without my own engineering lab to test claims I, like anyone else, I have to rely on what is effectively the totally subjective judgements of others.

It is not difficult to find praise from delighted users for Extralube ZX1 in UK Forums and sceptics too who are hostile to any 'additive' on principle including Extralube ZX1. Trouble is, you could also find praise for 'magic magnets, go faster resistors and other lucky charms' in forums too.

Your point about viscosity is a good one. ZX1 is added at 5% volume. Sufficient to impact viscosity perhaps?? The illustrations of the results of standard wear tests are impressive and do back up the claims... providing they are genuine and repeatable. Even Team ZX1 appears to acknowledge that...
Extralube ZX1 in its developed form remains an effective multi-purpose impregnating oil of light viscosity and outstanding lubricity in wet or dry state.

For me the significant piece of information is the fact that Extralube ZX1 has a NATO part number.  In a former life I saw a little of what was involved in gaining acceptance for a product for use by NATO. I would never expect to get a scam through that process. Not the same as TÜV testing and approval but still very rigorous as I recall.

If you browsed the Team ZX1 web site you will have seen that it came out of engineering for North Sea Oil Drilling. I have worked with some of the professionals from that world and know that there was a period of time when they were the guys who defined 'the leading edge' of several branches of engineering because of the challenges they had to overcome.

As the product is also promoted to the Oil Drilling industry to facilitate cutting and guard against tool wear they would be taking a risk trying to scam that lot. I would not like to be visited by an upset 'Drill Pusher'.  :lol: According to the UK Companies House data 'Team ZX1' have been trading for ten years and their accounts are right up to date. That is not what I would expect to find from someone operating a scam. Not just a legitimate company but well run on one criteria at least.

What makes it difficult for me is that I would not be looking for performance jumps or fuel efficiency as the main gain but longevity of the engine. I know of no way for a layman like me to assess that objectively in the short term. That is especially true when you consider that it is a 'one shot' treatment. There is no suggestion that anything is gained by regular reapplication.
WILL I LOSE THE ZX1 TREATMENT WHEN I CHANGE MY OIL
No, ZX1 impregnates and thermally bonds into the metal surfaces; the components are protected until the ZX1 wears away, you can also use an engine flush before changing the oil if desired.
Unfortunately I cannot find any comment as to how long it would take to wear away in a car engine. Having to guess when reapplication would be beneficial would not be my choice. It looks like a case of 'pay your money and make your choice'...with fingers crossed!!

Pip
It looks like a case of 'pay your money and make your choice'...with fingers crossed!!

Yep.

Even oil companies get it wrong.  Search here for "nulon" and you will get a couple of hits re PTFE being added to oil.

This is a polymer (plastic) that is marketed for other applications as Teflon.  Didn't work as an oil additive if for no other reason than it all ended up in the oil filter.  For years it was touted as a miracle and the company in question used it as a standard additive to their range of oil along with some rather dodgy TV advertising to push it.  Plenty about it on the 'net.

Not suggesting that your find is in any way related but it's an example of a product failure when I'm sure (at least initially) the company really thought it was good stuff.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal